All Hail Shero: The Best Damn GM In The Business

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Took a lot of heat around here for not signing Semin in the off-season, not acquiring depth scoring, and not getting tougher on the back end, and the guy's come through in spades. He's done everything possible to put this team in a position to win, even to the point of acquiring a versatile forward who can win faceoffs, play PK, and stopgap for Sid while he recovers.

The man's a legend. Direct all lavish, unadulterated praise here, because we're damn lucky to have him.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm a fan.

People have unrealistic expectations of what they want in a GM. But I like Shero, I dig his style, and I like the way he runs the organization.

Nobody bats 1.000 for any significant period of time, so he's got his share of dumb moves too, but they're acceptable mistakes.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Was really upset with no moves last year for a run needing D-man, but he's making up for it this year.

All In, All Hail, All RUM, Shero.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If he didn't win ya over this deadline, he never will. Unreal job. It started off and we weren't sure what the hell was happening. We looked desperate and overpaid. Then boom - the plan went on as it could have and it was genius.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If he didn't win ya over this deadline, he never will. Unreal job. It started off and we weren't sure what the hell was happening. We looked desperate and overpaid. Then boom - the plan went on as it could have and it was genius.

Therein lies a problem and one of the reasons these things are so hotly contested here.

The criterea for "good GM" here is often times an ever-shifting, constantly-moving goal post. Shero does well in trades? He doesn't draft enough forwards for my tastes. Develops blueliners? Well, why doesn't he trade 'em for forwards? Trades for Iginla? Why did he give up a pick?

Et cetera. Ad naseum.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
we need to get him a weather related nickname. he is his father's son and he's earned it.

Ray 'The Breeze' Shero
Ray 'Graupel' Shero
Ray 'The Snowburst' Shero

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Therein lies a problem and one of the reasons these things are so hotly contested here.

The criterea for "good GM" here is often times an ever-shifting, constantly-moving goal post. Shero does well in trades? He doesn't draft enough forwards for my tastes. Develops blueliners? Well, why doesn't he trade 'em for forwards? Trades for Iginla? Why did he give up a pick?

Et cetera. Ad naseum.

Agreed. I'm also convinced that there's a certain contingent here that just wants activity above all else. For them, bad or reckless moves are better than no moves. This team could dominate all season and go on to win the cup and people would still be clamoring for moves to be made a week later.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Prospect pool:

Pouliot, Maatta, Despres, Harrington, Dumoulin, Bennett

Team:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-Kennedy/the Juice/Vitale

Niskanen-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Crankshaft-Eaton/Despres/Bort

Fleury
Vokoun

Cap situation: Good. 11 million or so this off-season to re-sign Iginla who supposedly wants to re-sign and then Dupuis being the other important guy to lock up this off-season. The other UFAs we have are not terribly important guys that are irreplaceable.

Draft cupboard for this year: two third round picks, fourth, sixth (might be going to canes), seventh (might be going to canes), and then one more 7th (from winnipeg)

Outlook: Regardless of what we do in the playoffs, the future looks pretty bright. Our prospect pool is deep still, we've got enough picks in this draft to maybe get one or two late round gems, our cap situation looks really solid with the caveat that Letang and Malkin are worrisome because we still need to lock those guys up, but all indications on that front look good as Malkin continues to profess his love of the Pens and I can't see Letang going anywhere else either.

So what to make of all of this? We're looking good in every area a team can look good. I'd say Shero has done a tremendous job.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Unless he literally starts getting players for nothing and all of his picks become all-stars, some people will never be happy.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Took a lot of heat around here for not signing Semin in the off-season, not acquiring depth scoring, and not getting tougher on the back end, and the guy's come through in spades. He's done everything possible to put this team in a position to win, even to the point of acquiring a versatile forward who can win faceoffs, play PK, and stopgap for Sid while he recovers.

The man's a legend. Direct all lavish, unadulterated praise here, because we're damn lucky to have him.

Where is No Wingers at? He's the self appointed judge of Shero's moves, especially when Semin's name is spoken...

I agree with you though RRP. Shero has set this team up better than we could have hoped for for the playoff run. Pressure is on Bylsma to make good use of all of these new toys, I hope that he's up to the task.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not particularly thrilled with the Morrow for Morrow trade but still very happy with Shero overall. Shame he couldn't find a veteran PMD but I guess he thinks Letang will be back within a week or so.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not particularly thrilled with the Morrow for Morrow trade but still very happy with Shero overall. Shame he couldn't find a veteran PMD but I guess he thinks Letang will be back within a week or so.

Not a veteran but if Bylsma would start by at least making Despres play we have that puck moving d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad