Post-Game Talk (GBU): All hail our savior ZemGOD

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Thought we played our second
Most entertaining game to the Boston game.

There were obvious times when worked like we were a man down at even strength. But this was enjoyable in many senses.

Poor Hodgson. He's lost.

Ennis continues to be the second best forward to ZG and still doesn't get enough credit. We have many problems and ENNIS isn't one of them.

Ennis isn't a problem as a player, he's a problem as a center.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I don't agree.

Maybe "it's a problem that he is our #1C"... But he's not the liability that Hodgson was, and he's certainly capable offensively.

Girgs was our 1c tonight. But either way. It's about Ennis defensively and being an outlet for our dmen along with other things.

He's a 2nd line winger.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Girgs was our 1c tonight. But either way. It's about Ennis defensively and being an outlet for our dmen.

He's a 2nd line winger.

An outlet how? On the breakout? That falls more on any given winger than the center, who's likely not the first option under most scenarios.

The guy creates and his feet don't stop. He catches flak for the wrong reasons and he should be praised when he plays well contrarily.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
An outlet how? On the breakout? That falls more on any given winger than the center, who's likely not the first option under most scenarios.

The guy creates and his feet don't stop. He catches flak for the wrong reasons and he should be praised when he plays well contrarily.

I'm not bashing him. He's just absolutely awful defensively as a center. It's a tough job. Everything about him points to being more appropriate as a winger. He's got great hands and can create chances. But in other positions he's awful. Being a winger minimizes those situations where hes not so good.

And I mean he doesn't understand how to support his defensemen as an option in the middle of the ice sometimes. He just doesn't understand the position of center as a whole. It's just one example of why he shouldn't be a center. Not really a main point in my argument, just an observation.

I liked his game tonight btw.
I'm just commenting on him being a center.

Last edited:

Lassa

Apr 16, 2013
Well, one of his two shifts in the 2nd period was for 2 minutes, ending with a GA.

He played less than a minute and a half in the 3rd period.

It was his third game in three days, fourth in five days.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- a win!
-Flynn plays the right way
-Zemgus

B-can't say anyone was bad. Just starting to think that if someone is doing what they normally do then *bad* must be worse than usual. Nobody was worse than usual.

U- Detroit effort level. They shoulda stomped the Sabres handily and instead lost in a shootout, the players didn't try until the 3rd period and the coach didn't do a thing about it. Takes some of the shine of Babs.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I love Zemgus but he's got to improve on faceoffs or his long-term future might end up at wing. That said he won 6 of 8 in the third period plus OT so maybe there's hope yet.

Side Stache

Dec 3, 2011
I love Zemgus but he's got to improve on faceoffs or his long-term future might end up at wing. That said he won 6 of 8 in the third period plus OT so maybe there's hope yet.

He was 7/8 against Crosby. Let him have an off day. Kid can't do it all in one, yet.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nolan:

"Zetterberg and Dacksuque, those guys are world premier players" :biglaugh: that one is up there with Grigorenko going to Rochester for a "conditioning sprint"

All I keep hearing is "DJ SKEEE WORLD PREMIERE!!"

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

He also took what seemed like a ton of draws against 'Dacksuque'.... Not exactly a pushover or easy opposing player at the dot.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Nolan:

"Zetterberg and Dacksuque, those guys are world premier players" :biglaugh: that one is up there with Grigorenko going to Rochester for a "conditioning sprint"

All I keep hearing is "DJ SKEEE WORLD PREMIERE!!"

I laughed about the "world premiere" comment, too.

pyroxen

Feb 26, 2013
Deslauriers is just a wrecking ball out there. Constantly tries to hit players out there. Don't know if he does much else, but it's fun to watch.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
G:

NZ had a strong game; hit on Helm got Detroit's attention
For the brief amount of time, I liked Larsson's game... especially down low; used his stick well
Myers (especially putting that shoulder down and driving the net)
Zemgod (praise be upon him)
Stafford-Ennis-Mitchell had some jump early on
Flynn hustling
Risto jumping up into the play, getting back quickly
Ennis/Zemgod's shootout goals... sick & nasty
Neuvy with another strong game, playing with confidence

B:
Scrambling on the PK late in the game and in OT.
Gionta MIA

U:
Stewart's goal... Take it, but damn it was ugly
Getting penned in the D-zone (Welcome to Coho's bakery! Turnovers are our speciality)
Outshot badly again

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Thought we played our second
Most entertaining game to the Boston game.

There were obvious times when we looked like we were a man down at even strength. But this was enjoyable in many senses.

Poor Hodgson. He's lost.

Ennis continues to be the second best forward to ZG and still doesn't get enough credit. We have many problems and ENNIS isn't one of them.

He truly is.

If anyone needs to have it driven home how clueless he is defensively. Watch how he turns the puck over in the high slot and his reaction to it during the Wings marathon cycling session leading to their first goal. Nevermind that the smart play is the easy 6ft backhand chip to clear the zone. He instead tries to get the puck back onto his forehand so he can make a pass to Stewart to go on the attack. He's seemingly not aware that the Wings are going to try and steal the puck back. I can somewhat forgive him for that even though it was a dumb play.

But its what he did after losing the puck that shows just how utterly clueless he is defensively. He loses the puck in the high slot. He is still watching the play so he knows the puck is not in our possession and is heading towards our net. Yet he actually STILL LEAVES OUR ZONE as if we have possession hoping someone else gets the puck and sends him on the attack. Instead of hauling ass to get back and help to make sure his turnover doesn't turn into a goal. Incredible how utterly clueless he is defensively that his first instinct after turning the puck over in that spot is to leave the zone. EDIT: And Stewart went with him.

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
He truly is.

If anyone needs to have it driven home how clueless he is defensively. Watch how he turns the puck over in the high slot and his reaction to it during the Wings marathon cycling session leading to their first goal. Nevermind that the smart play is the easy 6ft backhand chip to clear the zone. He instead tries to get the puck back onto his forehand so he can make a pass to Stewart to go on the attack. He's seemingly not aware that the Wings are going to try and steal the puck back. I can somewhat forgive him for that even though it was a dumb play.

But its what he did after losing the puck that shows just how utterly clueless he is defensively. He loses the puck in the high slot. He is still watching the play so he knows the puck is not in our possession and is heading towards our net. Yet he actually STILL LEAVES OUR ZONE as if we have possession hoping someone else gets the puck and sends him on the attack. Instead of hauling ass to get back and help to make sure his turnover doesn't turn into a goal. Incredible how utterly clueless he is defensively that his first instinct after turning the puck over in that spot is to leave the zone. EDIT: And Stewart went with him.

The part about leaving the zone like that is something our forwards have had an issue with for a while. I don't know how many times our defensemen are put under pressure in our own zone, and the forwards are nowhere to be found.

Sorry, just pointing out that one little part.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The part about leaving the zone like that is something our forwards have had an issue with for a while. I don't know how many times our defensemen are put under pressure in our own zone, and the forwards are nowhere to be found.

Sorry, just pointing out that one little part.

I understand what you're referring to. That the forwards leave too early on breakouts and leave the dmen without options to make a breakout pass. But thats not what I'm referring to nor was that what happened in this situation. I'm talking about Hodgson's reaction to turning the puck over in a dangerous situation in our zone. A situation that wouldn't in a million years call for the player that just turned the puck over to leave the zone.

Hodgson turned the puck over six feet inside the blue line. After he turned it over we did not possess the puck. The first instinct of any player in that situation with even the slightest defensive acumen would be to chase after the player who stole the puck. Or at least hustle to help mitigate the turn over. Yet Hodgson's first instinct was to leave the zone and go on the attack. Yet we were not in possession of the puck and he saw that was the case. He was basically hoping a Sabre could get the puck and get it to him. He eventually processed that he messed up around the red line and hustled back.

But that play is about the best and clearest example of how Hodgson really isn't fixable defensively. What he did in that situation was an instinctive reaction. One that shows an incredibly low innate defensive IQ.

Last edited:

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
I understand what you're referring to. That the forwards leave too early on breakouts and leave the dmen without options to make a breakout pass. But thats not what I'm referring to nor was that what happened in this situation. I'm talking about Hodgson's reaction to turning the puck over in a dangerous situation in our zone. A situation that wouldn't in a million years call for the player that just turned the puck over to leave the zone.

Hodgson turned the puck over six feet inside the blue line. After he turned it over we did not possess the puck. The first instinct of any player in that situation with even the slightest defensive acumen would be to chase after the player who stole the puck. Or at least hustle to help mitigate the turn over. Yet Hodgson's first instinct was to leave the zone and go on the attack. Yet we were not in possession of the puck after the turn over and he say that. So he was basically hoping a Sabre could get the puck and get it to him. He eventually processed that he messed up and hustled back into position.

But that play is about the best and clearest example of how Hodgson really isn't fixable defensively. What he did in that situation was an instinctive reaction that shows an incredibly low defensive IQ. Its just not in his makeup to make the smart defensive play when its a quick reaction play. His instincts as a player are to attack and go on the offensive.

I've made posts here before about how Hodgson is an 'offense first' type of player, and this is exactly the type of play where you see it. It's very obvious in this case, but it's been on display for a while. Another way this shows up (or showed up I should say) frequently is when there is a puck battle in the corner, D on a wing one on one and Hodgson comes down to support his D he would often cheat up ice enough to allow the other center in behind him and open in the slot. It has lead to several almost identical goals against in seasons.

It's indicative of a player who thinks offense first and looking for the opportunity to break out of the zone with the puck rather than looking to pick up a man that might get open.

It's also my personal theory that Hodgson looks slow and disengaged right now not because he hates Ted Nolan's guts, but because he is focusing very hard on becoming a better defensive center and is no longer playing on instinct, but is trying to constantly 'think the game' to make better decisions.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I've made posts here before about how Hodgson is an 'offense first' type of player, and this is exactly the type of play where you see it. It's very obvious in this case, but it's been on display for a while. Another way this shows up (or showed up I should say) frequently is when there is a puck battle in the corner, D on a wing one on one and Hodgson comes down to support his D he would often cheat up ice enough to allow the other center in behind him and open in the slot. It has lead to several almost identical goals against in seasons.

It's indicative of a player who thinks offense first and looking for the opportunity to break out of the zone with the puck rather than looking to pick up a man that might get open.

It's also my personal theory that Hodgson looks slow and disengaged right now not because he hates Ted Nolan's guts, but because he is focusing very hard on becoming a better defensive center and is no longer playing on instinct, but is trying to constantly 'think the game' to make better decisions.

Thanks for flagging this. As another poster in the "roster 2-3 years from now" flagged, Hodgson is actually a keener where it goes to working off-season too. I'd forgotten that. But putting the observations together eases my recent wondering about the kid.

I have always liked his offensive upside but this season have become increasingly resigned to his fate as a mediocre winger max and kinda trying to temper my expectations/hopes for him...

But it's true - the kid is known for being a head-down worker bee type, so can't see him as not trying to play the game he's being told to play... Perhaps his confidence is shot a bit, maybe even a disconnect btwn what he's processing and what the coach is laying down...? It's not like he wasn't scouted for his solid two-game at one point, or that even now his defensive game is worse than the likes of Moulson, Ennis, Stewart, etc... (he just gets more bashing for defensive lapses because he's a trendy target).

Let's see what comes. Without the trashing rhetoric.

Bps21*

It is actually worse than all of those players. I know he somehow isn't one of the people on your hit list...but he is as bad as everyone is saying.

He puts up negative possession stats like have never been seen before anywhere.

I know it's hard for you to see through the prism of hate watching your chosen people...but he's worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad