7HUmSJX.png

Relevant Results for February 5 that Leafs need to improve draft chances:

St. Louis @ Buffalo
NY Islanders @ Philadelphia
Washington @ Ottawa
Tampa Bay @ Dallas
Detroit @ Colorado
Carolina @ Arizona[sup]1[/sup]

[sup]1[/sup] Means preferable to win in OT, then a SO win, and finally a regulation win; in that order.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Other one is almost at the limit....

TML Tank Tracker[sup]TM[/sup] preview for February 5:

Leafs start the evening at: 6th pick
Best pick by end of evening: 6th pick
Worst pick by end of evening: 6th pick

Leafs waiver priority (true standings based on points %): 6th

Standings:
7HUmSJX.png

St. Louis @ Buffalo
Washington @ Ottawa
Tampa Bay @ Dallas
Detroit @ Colorado

[sup]1[/sup] Means preferable to win in OT, then a SO win, and finally a regulation win; in that order.

I would say right now Arizona winning in OT against Carolina would be best. That would leave Arizona just 2 points behind us.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Other one is almost at the limit....

TML Tank Tracker[sup]TM[/sup] preview for February 5:

Leafs start the evening at: 6th pick
Best pick by end of evening: 6th pick
Worst pick by end of evening: 6th pick

Leafs waiver priority (true standings based on points %): 6th

Standings:
7HUmSJX.png

St. Louis @ Buffalo
Washington @ Ottawa
Tampa Bay @ Dallas
Detroit @ Colorado

Buffalo & Edmonton will be tough to catch, but the rest are fair game. Go Leafs Go (or is it blow leafs blow).

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I rather Arizona wins, we have to take one spot at a time, the closer Arizona gets, the closer we get to passing them. After that we can deal with Carolina.

An Arizona win tonight would be awesome, 2 points back for 4th overall..let's go Arizona! As long as we have a top 3-4 pick I'll be extremely happy. Obviously McDavid is the goal but Edmonton has pretty much perfected the tank.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
As much as i'd love McDavid, i'm not sure we can continue to tank at this rate.

I see us picking around the 6-7 range, which i'm ok with. Just hoping we get some extra picks in the top 60.

silentbob37*

JVR-McDavid-Kessel
Leivo-Kadri-Nylander

I wouldn't want Kessel anywhere near that group.

Also, we already know what good offense and no defense gets you - would that group of 6 ever play in their own zone?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this was by ITM - and It's so appro.

The second half was advertised, stated by Shanahan as the most important part of the season in which these players would tell management who they are. And the answer is: An inconsistent group, unable to defend, score and adapt to either need on the fly within a fundamentally flawed roster composition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the following players were moved: Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak. This is, was, supposed to be the core. These three players represent (unlike Lupul) that consistent group who have failed repeatedly to lead this team to incremental success.

I don't think Gardiner, Kadri, Reilly, Bernier and JVR are being held in like regard. I don't think Franson is either, but Clarkson and Phaneuf provide contractual impediment to retaining Franson at the 5x5/6 he 's reportedly seeking.

Santorelli,Winnik,Robidas,Polak all represent astute veteran supplement. There's nothing wrong with these players, however modest their contribution. And then there's Komarov...A bright light in this dark season.

There are plays available to shore up 2nd-7th round selections, certainly. I wonder if the Phaneuf to LA scenario is dead. Apparently, including Pearson or Toffoli was a deal breaker. I don't blame LA in this instance...But I wonder if our side asked about Colin Miller and/or J.F. Berube?

Miller is a former Soo (Kyle Dubas' club) captain. He just set a record for hardest shot in the AHL breaking Nygren's record (MTL-D prospect), and in the same competition, won fastest skater. And Berube seems another cog in the LA goaltending factory performing up to Kings' standard. I can't see LA declining an acquisition for a top 3 on any team defenceman for Richards and one of or both of those two...And I can't see Miller not being on Dubas' radar. If it allowed signing Franson, I think we would be best served retaining our RHD, plus ridding ourselves of Phaneuf's contract and gathering championship cultured prospects at positions we actually need.

Speaking of Nygren, he seems wasted in Montreal. A player like Winnik or Santorelli would seem appropriate for a Cup run. Nygren and a late pick (See SHL/KHL high skill Hail Mary pick) would be my target. Whatever his deficiencies may have been advertised as, a former SHL D of the year is certainly worth a free agent signing like the above mentioned.

I think we can still hit the 3-5 draft position while keeping JVR, Reilly, Gardiner, Kadri and Bernier, sad as that is.

Kessel is the obvious cash cow, and one would have to think now while still in his prime is the chance to trade him. Buzz seems to be that Poile and Laviolette are interested.

Should Franson be available, I would hope Vancouver is considered. Kassian, Horvat are the kind of players that would at the very least seek to play a 200 ft game with heart...just a few thoughts going forward at any rate...

After Randy Carlyle was fired, the chief problem repeatedly identified as that most crucial element that needed to change with the club was consistency. Shanahan noted that the difference between successful, championship clubs and unsuccessful clubs is consistency.

The assessment of the club's first half play was characterized as inconsistent. Inconsistency provided by Carlyle and Co resulted in Carlyle's fire, despite the previous extension. In his address to the media, Shanahan repeatedly identified himself, Nonis, Dubas and Hunter as that group which determined through discussion that the second half of the season was "the most important part of the season" for the players. The time in which "that group" would tell the management "who they were". That if improvement in consistency wasn't provided by the club who were put on notice that management wasn't going to "back off of them" that changes - big and small - were coming.

We can certainly point to contract extensions and various contract offers and marshal arguments that state the only consistent characteristic about this group lead by Brendan Shanahan has been more of the same - failed player valuation, reflexive short sighted reaction rather than proactive long term action and a collective lack of constitution in the face of adversity, whether off the ice from the media or on the ice from opponents in situations dealt with in previous successful fashion.

Shanahan was hired in April of last season. He characterized his start as one that would indicate a period of evaluation. If memory serves, the coaching staff was replaced while allowing Carlyle to stay. Then the draft and Nylander, etc. Then July 1st and the season beyond that netted useful pieces, a welcome surprise in bringing back Komarov and a culture shift bringing in Kyle Dubas, the order of which doesn't really matter in this instance.

What matters is the deliberation that's been exampled. Despite an extension, we can see a consistent momentum in addressing change quickly. We can also see that Shanahan and Co. divided the season into periods of finite analysis followed by action. It happened with Carlyle's staff being let go. It happened passively with Dubas coming in. It happened again with Carlyle being fired after a first half collapse...And note, in previous interviews while Toronto was at the tail end of their winning streak, Randy Carlyle pointed out that the club's bad habits were returning. He wasn't being modest. He was worried. Literally a game later, the signs of collapse materialized into another streak and his ultimate departure. So, consider the importance of this...Carlyle brought this group along in a model that would emphasize their strengths, while obligating industry. They won. They were winning. But Carlyle could see the cliff coming, even while we cheered.

That couldn't have been lost on the management group when they declared that the second half of the season would be the most important part of the season for the players. Couple that with Shanahan's statement that Horachek would be given time to audition the rest of the season and that an evaluation would continue into the off-season. So by changes big and small, with a statement that he, Shanahan, personally spoke to the on-ice group and emphasized that they were aware of what was expected, and the fact that the coach won't be one of the changes, we can reasonably expect something monumental in the next couple of weeks.

The more Shanahan's albeit limited statements are examined, the more balanced and consistent his actions seem. Monumental change has been affected with minimal advertisement. This to say, even with the streak, the fact that the management group has been quiet should actually encourage us as a fan base.

I think we're shell shocked by the result. I know am. I thought I saw signs of authentic quality of players Burke brought in. I saw possibilities to supplement the deficiencies in Phaneuf's lack of leadership and Kessel's lack of grit - not to be mistaken with consistent production.

Being a fan as well of Detroit over the years, when I hear Shanahan describe qualities that are expected of his Toronto Maple Leafs club, I hear a Red Wings analysis and approach.

Consistency has to provide everyone an opportunity to succeed or fail in a great hockey club. It's the kind of integrity we haven't been used to. Sure there's Burke's loyalty to players and the imposed policy preferences but with Shanahan, I sense a loyalty to the club's identity. Great, not good is the aim. And inconsistency won't be rewarded and better yet, hasn't been.

I expect something definitive is about to happen. That a new era actually is approaching. My hope is that this present is the quiet we've all be waiting for.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
You all realize McDavid is good enough to bring current A grade players to Toronto. Or where ever he goes. This kid is eye candy for UFAs.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I wouldn't want Kessel anywhere near that group.

Also, we already know what good offense and no defense gets you - would that group of 6 ever play in their own zone?

You wouldn't want a top 5 winger and one of the best elite offensive talents in the league taking the load off of McDavid?

You need a reality check man, time to take those blind hate goggles off. If Kessel can carry Bozak to ~50 points, and Bozak produces at a below average 3rd line rate without Kessel, just imagine what he could do with McDavid.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As much as i'd love McDavid, i'm not sure we can continue to tank at this rate.

I see us picking around the 6-7 range, which i'm ok with. Just hoping we get some extra picks in the top 60.

This would be a very smart move by Shanahan and company! The more picks the better in a deep draft!

You have to trade your core players for as many of 2015 draft picks as you can! Needs to be done as soon as possible, so that teams don't get cold feet before the draft, and, decide to hang onto their picks!

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
You wouldn't want a top 5 winger and one of the best elite offensive talents in the league taking the load off of McDavid?

You need a reality check man, time to take those blind hate goggles off. If Kessel can carry Bozak to ~50 points, and Bozak produces at a below average 3rd line rate without Kessel, just imagine what he could do with McDavid.

You nailed it man.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
If mcdavid comes into the team which I doubt we wont be lucky or whatever....because we can't even tank properly. He still should be given the cahnce to see if he's ready for the bigs or not, skill wise absolutely ready for the bigs but will his physical part? That goes with any prospect IMO.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

I like you. We can get along quite well after you posting this post.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
If mcdavid comes into the team which I doubt we wont be lucky or whatever....because we can't even tank properly. He still should be given the cahnce to see if he's ready for the bigs or not, skill wise absolutely ready for the bigs but will his physical part? That goes with any prospect IMO.

We will have to insulate him for sure. If we do decide to rebuild, we should bring in a few vets so he doesn't get overwhelmed here.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
well I see the opposite

save for the pending UFAs

kessel is at the top of the gtfo list, absolute top of it, he and neon deon are king of that hill.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We will have to insulate him for sure. If we do decide to rebuild, we should bring in a few vets so he doesn't get overwhelmed here.

I dont think it'll be afull rebuild...this place isn't ready for that unfortunately it's just the way organization runs. However if we were to insulate him, it would be some decent signings or a guy who can be decent for us in the next year or two.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree that if they don't need to rush him to play in the NHL then it won't be the worst thing if he spent one more year in the OHL and dominate the World Juniors again. However when was the last time the #1 pick didn't go from being drafted to the NHL the next season? I want to say it was Eric Johnson when the Blues took him 1st overall in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad