Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
After all this talk, he better be a good player. Otherwise, he's going to get roasted here.

His numbers if you look deeper aren't like blow you away good.

1 goal and 4 assists in 10 games vs NCAA tournament teams is average at best, which shows he feasts on weaker teams.

He had 3 empty net goals last year.....

The Hobey Baker is whats driving the hype along with his dad working for the leafs and his brother being drafted by them.

Just another college free agent to me

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd be pleasantly surprised if he signed with the Pens.

EDIT: right after the post above.

He would have to beat out the corpse of Chris Kunitz, or perhaps Rust. Not insurmountable odds.

But yes, I always saw the Pens as a long shot no matter how much sense it made.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

1 goal and 4 assists in 10 games vs NCAA tournament teams is average at best, which shows he feasts on weaker teams.

The Hobey Baker is whats driving the hype along with his dad working for the leafs and his brother being drafted by them.

I always like to remember when trying to not get overhyped on him....Eichel blew him out of the league as a 4 year younger player 2 years ago. Ran away with a Hobe that they then gave vesey the next year...when he regressed a little.

He's a free, mature, more developed nhl ready player. But hes not even close to a top prospect. In fact he wasn't particularly close to a literal top prospect 4 years his junior.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Exactly why he should sign with Buffalo. He can take over Evander Kane's role of putting up 25% of his points on empty net goals.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I always like to remember when trying to not get overhyped on him....Eichel blew him out of the league as a 4 year younger player 2 years ago. Ran away with a Hobe that they then gave vesey the next year...when he regressed a little.

He's a free, mature, more developed nhl ready player. But hes not even close to a top prospect. In fact he wasn't particularly close to a literal top prospect 4 years his junior.

Yup

The Hobey Baker does not mean best player in College Hockey

it is usually given to seniors and juniors. Eichel was an anomaly, and they weren't going to give it to a freshman 2 years in a row like to someone like Connor or Boeser.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am actually a bit torn on wanting Vesey to sign here or not. On one hand, he's basically a free asset on an ELC for 2 years. On the other, I feel like we could do better to fill our top 6 LW spot and signing Vesey will prevent Tim Murray from making a trade to upgrade that spot.
I'd also like to give Tyler Ennis (and Zemgus Girgensons) a chance to bounce back this year in one of those 2 top 6 LW spots. I don't really know enough about Vesey to say for sure, but I feel like Ennis has a higher ceiling (and floor). Same for Girgs. I can't imagine they keep all 3 of Ennis, Girgensons and Vesey (and obviously Vesey isn't the one getting traded). Although I sure wouldn't mind one of them being traded to upgrade the defense, except that it would make the expansion draft protection list a bit more complicated...

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be happy if Buffalo signs Vesey. But I'm sure not going to be upset if he doesn't sign here. I'm good either way. There's advantages and disadvantages to both scenarios.

buttman*

Yup

The Hobey Baker does not mean best player in College Hockey

it is usually given to seniors and juniors. Eichel was an anomaly, and they weren't going to give it to a freshman 2 years in a row like to someone like Connor or Boeser.

It does mean best player. It doesn't mean best prospect.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Him feasting on weaker teams is completely obvious.

He was playing in by far the weakest NCAA division(his division has NHLe factor of 0.23) and yet he only produced at #8 PPG on the league. His NHLe is only 26 points when a player like Kalle Kossila(Who no one likely has even heard about) is the same age and had an NHLe of 44 points(His division has NHLe factor of 0.41). For the record, Kyle Connor's NHLe was 54 points(His division has NHLe factor of 0.35). I guess you can call them conferences instead of divisions but whatever.

It does mean best player. It doesn't mean best prospect.

It obviously doesn't mean "Best player" if Jimmy Vesey won it.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
It has been extremely quiet on the Leafs front the last 2 days (to quiet). Still the place I believe he lands. Good fit on LW scoring line and the team has some time to be patient with him. Brother and Dad play/work for them, affordable, quick flight to Mass., excellent coaching and front office and 3 top 10 prospects up front. Vesey would be smart to sign with the Buds.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Said all along that if this KID is looking for the best opportunity to play a top 6 role, then NJ would probably be his best bet... Personally, don't care who he signs with, Don't think he's gonna live up the hype he's getting, i actually think it's impossible for him to live up to the hype he's getting but... NJ probably does make the most sense and it's close enough to his home. Also a little less media crazy than say NYR,NYI,Philly,Boston,Chicago,Toronto.

Let's pretend for a moment that Kyle Connor won the Hobey Baker.... Does Vesey still get all this hype? Cuz really, he's 24 years old, he's not some just drafted 18 year old or 19 year old kid, he's 24 or something... he is what he is isn't he pretty much? I mean how much upside does he have or is it because he won the hobey baker as a 4 year college veteran pretty much?

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Hawks signed a Hobey Baker winner a couple of years ago, think he's out of hockey or something now, didn't cut it in Rockford.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Good fit on LW scoring line and the team has some time to be patient with him...Vesey would be smart to sign with the Buds.

Said all along that if this KID is looking for the best opportunity to play a top 6 role, then NJ would probably be his best bet...

But if he signs in Buffalo, he can have a good fit on a top 6 scoring line with his buddy Eichel (or with Ryan O'Reilly). IMO, that is clearly the best fit for him role-wise.

Plus he won't have the pressure of playing in his hometown, or in a major media fishbowl like NYC or Toronto.

He'll get to grow with a team just as it is on the upswing into contention.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wonder if Johnny Hockey and Eichel winning it back to back has helped inflate this. They're great. But the rest of that recent list...oof

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just ignore them as I have been doing here at HF for 20 years.
Or even better get a few chuckles out of it.

Its always the same the ones that bash the most probably cant even tie skates let alone skate.

This I can definitely do. By the way, had no idea HF was 20 years old.
I think the Vesey saga will be over by Sunday max. If he's done meeting all the interested teams, I can see him taking 1 or 2 days to make his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad