AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I enjoyed the 30 years of Jericho episode. Sometimes it is good to have a theme that sort of connects every part of the episode. Also getting ever stronger HHH (or maybe just Dusty) vibes from Rhodes after that return win, though I still like him and in some ways can't fault him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I really like what they’re doing with Jericho and MJF. That’s a guy Jericho should be putting over, not Orange Cassidy

Dog collar match was very good

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Regardless of what ends up happening there, it's nice having Jericho, MJF, Guevara in the same place. An MJF-Jericho feud down the road could be good, with Jericho as the face. The Inner Circle has cooled a bit but it still holds interest with me.

I just saw a clip of them all in the Inner Circle locker room or wherever it was. I think it'd be a great angle. However I don't think you need a face or heel here. The rivalry works with them both as heels.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I just saw a clip of them all in the Inner Circle locker room or wherever it was. I think it'd be a great angle. However I don't think you need a face or heel here. The rivalry works with them both as heels.

Heel vs heel could work with them, as they're smart enough to know how to pull it off. I mainly don't want MJF turning face in such an angle. Either way having him, along with Guevara, sort of apprenticing with Jericho is great.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think MJF is eventually gonna take over as leader of the inner circle. Don’t know how they’ll get there but I expect this to be a long term thing. No need to rush this angle. Keep doing what you’re doing

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I found it very cringey, but I also hate musical numbers in non-musicals.

I thought it was so far out of place to the point where I found it WTF funny and it was done with the only two guys that could pull it off without me hating it

They certainly went for it, that’s for sure. Definitely can see how people wouldn’t like it

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I thought it was so far out of place to the point where I found it WTF funny and it was done with the only two guys that could pull it off without me hating it

They certainly went for it, that’s for sure. Definitely can see how people wouldn’t like it

Jericho and MJF being the only two guys who could make it... tolerable is pretty fair. I don't love the direction that Jericho has been going in, but with no crowds I'm willing to accept "experimental" crap in wrestling for now. Those two also have enough good will that they can cash in to do a goofy musical number and get away with it.

Reactions: CDJ

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like what they've done with Page and Omega very recently, both with good matches this past week heading in to the PPV. At this point I might prefer either as champion over Moxley, though ideally Omega would settle down with the ridiculousness and Page would get a bit more time to improve. I do not like Jericho taking on MJF this early though. Much rather them hold off for as long as possible on that front.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pac is back, thank god

honestly I’d love for him to get the belt. I doubt he will any time soon but I think he’s tremendous.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from yesterday's pwinsider.com:

After AEW Dynamite went off the air tonight on TNT, AEW TNT Champion Cody Runnels announced to the live crowd in Jacksonville, Florida that "as of this morning", he once again had two names and whether Justin Roberts announced him as such or not, he could again use "Cody Rhodes." Cody had not been able to use it since departing WWE despite his family using the surname dating back decades to his father, WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes, since Runnels had not used the name prior to his time under a WWE contract.

Earlier today, our own Steven Fernandes reported that Cody expressly abandoned trademark applications he had filed for 'Slamboree' and 'The Match Beyond' with prejudice (meaning he could not return and attempt to claim them down the line) and that WWE have accepted and dropped their opposition for each trademark. Cody also abandoned trademark applications for Superbrawl, Bunkhouse Stampede, and Battlebowl on 10/30. Those were never opposed by WWE and had already passed the opposition phase.

As I discussed earlier today in the Elite section, the same day, WWE abandoned their claim to the "Cody Rhodes" trademark, so it appears that Cody and WWE came to some sort of agreement that allowed each other access to the trademarks they wanted.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pac is back, thank god

honestly I’d love for him to get the belt. I doubt he will any time soon but I think he’s tremendous.

Pac has been really good in AEW, arguably the most impressive in-ring performer when he's actually able to wrestle. Good to have him back. It was also interesting to see Guevara in more of a babyface role.

Kingston continues to pretty much kill Moxley on promos. Kingstron shouldn't be champion by any stretch but he's done well, and been used well, in AEW.

from yesterday's pwinsider.com:

After AEW Dynamite went off the air tonight on TNT, AEW TNT Champion Cody Runnels announced to the live crowd in Jacksonville, Florida that "as of this morning", he once again had two names and whether Justin Roberts announced him as such or not, he could again use "Cody Rhodes." Cody had not been able to use it since departing WWE despite his family using the surname dating back decades to his father, WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes, since Runnels had not used the name prior to his time under a WWE contract.

Earlier today, our own Steven Fernandes reported that Cody expressly abandoned trademark applications he had filed for 'Slamboree' and 'The Match Beyond' with prejudice (meaning he could not return and attempt to claim them down the line) and that WWE have accepted and dropped their opposition for each trademark. Cody also abandoned trademark applications for Superbrawl, Bunkhouse Stampede, and Battlebowl on 10/30. Those were never opposed by WWE and had already passed the opposition phase.

As I discussed earlier today in the Elite section, the same day, WWE abandoned their claim to the "Cody Rhodes" trademark, so it appears that Cody and WWE came to some sort of agreement that allowed each other access to the trademarks they wanted.

That's good, it was tedious seeing and hearing him referred to only as Cody. I also didn't want to see AEW pulling out old WCW ppv names and shoehorning them in.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice to see Callis calling Omega's match. It's unfortunate that he's with Impact as he could be an asset to a legitimate wrestling company.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nice to see Callis calling Omega's match. It's unfortunate that he's with Impact as he could be an asset to a legitimate wrestling company.

Don't be surprised if you see him more. I mean, I know this was a PPV match, but it's not the type of match you would need a special commentator for, it's not like it was for the title.

AEW obviously sending the (right) message that they won't have a combative relationship with other wrestling companies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Damn good PPV. I agree with you, @Cor

I think Mox is a great promo and in the ring is what you get. His matches seem to disappoint quite often. The builds are incredible, though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Don't be surprised if you see him more. I mean, I know this was a PPV match, but it's not the type of match you would need a special commentator for, it's not like it was for the title.

AEW obviously sending the (right) message that they won't have a combative relationship with other wrestling companies.

Yes I expect that Callis will be around for longer than just one show opening Omega match, which is a good thing. If he can help handle some of the talking load for Omega as he presumably chases and wins the title that will go a long way. AEW is wise to have working relationships where possible.

Omega and Page was a good match that ended the right way to me. I hope to see Page continue getting better for the next while and Omega is due to challenge for the title again. The Rhodes match was alright but I generally don't like Allin. I still thought that it would be better but at last they took it in the right direction. Shida's match was solid as usual. I didn't like the tag team title match but I didn't expect to so no disappointment there. Guevara and Hardy was a fun diversion. I enjoyed seeing Hurricane and especially Gangrel in that context. MJF and Jericho was fine, about as much in ring quality as you'd expect but it advanced the story and that was the main point. Moxley vs Kingston was alright. I'm tired of tack spots but I did enjoy the alcohol. As good as Kingston is at promos he isn't going to put on a classic match and Moxley isn't good enough to carry him to a great match. They compensated for what they could do and it was a fitting end to their feud. Overall it was a good event with basically a mix of good matches with solid matches and nothing that really came off as terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad