All Cooperall Game - Flyers vs Whalers 1982

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Read about this on Twitter. Today is the anniversary.

Per sports net:

The all-in-one hockey equipment had made its debut when the Flyers first donned them in 1981. By the time this game was played, both the Flyers and Whalers had switched to a rival version of the full-length hockey pants called “CCM Pro Guards,” but we all still recognize them as Cooperalls.

Sadly (but not really), the all-in-one hockey pants were outlawed by the NHL the very next season. The reason? In a word: friction. Or, rather, the lack thereof. Players that hit the ice in these fashion monstrosities were basically sliding around on a windbreaker-type material that gave them little chance to stop sliding into the boards at a higher rate of speed.

We’re Cooperalls the worst fashion statement in the history of the NHL?

Attachments

• A912D515-202A-4581-B1C8-68AE700F7452.jpeg
    A912D515-202A-4581-B1C8-68AE700F7452.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 7D620A52-703B-4FC4-9068-4A8032648945.jpeg
    7D620A52-703B-4FC4-9068-4A8032648945.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why does Barber look like that mid-30s guy at pick-up that’s never set foot on the ice before and his ankles are about to snap.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Wore these atrocities in rep hockey.

Not only did you slide around all over the place, they're also very hot. Not a lot of breathing on the ones we wore.

Needless to say, I hated them.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Wore these atrocities in rep hockey.

Not only did you slide around all over the place, they're also very hot. Not a lot of breathing on the ones we wore.

Needless to say, I hated them.

What’s rep hockey for us Americans? Also I always thought cooperalls as the padding piece not the actual pants. How did the padding hold up in them? Never did try them.

The senators could use them to better slide around the ice.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What’s rep hockey for us Americans? Also I always thought cooperalls as the padding piece not the actual pants. How did the padding hold up in them? Never did try them.

The senators could use them to better slide around the ice.
You would essentially have a house league that anyone could play in and ice time was mandated. From there you had "rep" hockey because you represented (for the most part anyway) the house league in which you played. Rep was broken down to A, AA and AAA. I played in a strong A league. Ice time was based on merit. I think AAA teams are what y'all refer to as "Travel Teams."

The pants are just a shell. You had a padded girdle and your shin pads underneath. I don't much recall the durability. We're talking over 35 years ago.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
You would essentially have a house league that anyone could play in and ice time was mandated. From there you had "rep" hockey because you represented (for the most part anyway) the house league in which you played. Rep was broken down to A, AA and AAA. I played in a strong A league. Ice time was based on merit. I think AAA teams are what y'all refer to as "Travel Teams."

The pants are just a shell. You had a padded girdle and your shin pads underneath. I don't much recall the durability. We're talking over 35 years ago.

Yeah always wondered how that girdle would work out.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Per sports net:

The all-in-one hockey equipment had made its debut when the Flyers first donned them in 1981. By the time this game was played, both the Flyers and Whalers had switched to a rival version of the full-length hockey pants called “CCM Pro Guards,” but we all still recognize them as Cooperalls.

Sadly (but not really), the all-in-one hockey pants were outlawed by the NHL the very next season. The reason? In a word: friction. Or, rather, the lack thereof. Players that hit the ice in these fashion monstrosities were basically sliding around on a windbreaker-type material that gave them little chance to stop sliding into the boards at a higher rate of speed.

Safety is one thing, but I honestly didn't mind how they looked. I mean, they are not beautiful, but neither are the shorts. I think it's simply because people were not used to them.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Safety is one thing, but I honestly didn't mind how they looked. I mean, they are not beautiful, but neither are the shorts. I think it's simply because people were not used to them.

For roller hockey ideal... ice, not so much.... you fell at speed, forget it... out of control.... very much like the neighborhood kids today who like to watch me in my more advanced years trying to get out of the bathtub... Spiderman impersonation. :( .... Cooperalls same thing. I know, I did try them. ONCE. Couldnt stop laughing. Absolutely helpless, useless.... one of the dumbest advents all time.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Eisen? One person "likes" the post above..... 1..... What is wrong with your Generation?.....

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Actually could use a pair now as I get older, track pants with pads built in, now I could toss out a knee when people crowd around and don't mind their elbows, cutting in front of you quickly, oblivious to the scar tissue, no thought at to anyone other then their busy selves, hmm, maybe I will don some elbow pads next time I have to go through the Toronto Concourse.......

Reactions: Killion

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

It's pro sports. How it looks is very important. Goes back to the first Olympics in Greece where people competed naked. People are supposed to see the contours of athleticism, and where the knee bends. It's not supposed to look like a bunch of middle aged men in overalls battling it out on the side of the street after a couple of beers.

Can you imagine Bure or McDavid flying end to end in those pants?

HauntingDelayedGermanspaniel-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Eisen

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
It's pro sports. How it looks is very important. Goes back to the first Olympics in Greece where people competed naked. People are supposed to see the contours of athleticism, and where the knee bends. It's not supposed to look like a bunch of middle aged men in overalls battling it out on the side of the street after a couple of beers.

Can you imagine Bure or McDavid flying end to end in those pants?

HauntingDelayedGermanspaniel-size_restricted.gif
I CAN imagine McDavid and Bure going one on one naked actually.
Both with great acceleration but with questionable defense so when one of them falls sprawling like Hasek into the endboard it's getting real interesting.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
People are forever ragging on the one-piece pant but when they first hit the market, everyone wanted to wear them. Most junior teams wore them as did many college and university teams. Some of that was because teenagers liked to be trendy back then, unlike the the individualists of today :sarcasm:). But at the time, most people thought they looked good. They had a cleaner line than the bulky pants/socks combination.

I was a goalie, so I don't know about whether they were more or less viscous than the standard pants/socks combo, but given that they were made of exactly the same material as the standard pant, and given that you were more likely to be sliding on your butt than on the material covered by socks, I have a hard time with the logic that these caused guys to slide further. Like, ice is slippery and if you wanted to stop sliding, you put your skate blade down.

However, my recollection was that a significant reason the NHL wanted them outlawed was because linesmen were having difficulty differentiating between home and visiting teams when calling offsides. Look at photos and you'll see lineys crouching down or kneeling to make close calls on the line. If two teams were both wearing long pants, and their pants colour was the same (like Boston and Pittsburgh, for example, or even Montreal and Toronto), calling offisde based on what the linesman saw from the knees down.

Anyway, go back to hating on the Cooperalls. They were a remnant of the 80s, so are a prime target for abuse. Just don't be slagging on mullets.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
For roller hockey ideal... ice, not so much.... you fell at speed, forget it... out of control.... very much like the neighborhood kids today who like to watch me in my more advanced years trying to get out of the bathtub... Spiderman impersonation. :( .... Cooperalls same thing. I know, I did try them. ONCE. Couldnt stop laughing. Absolutely helpless, useless.... one of the dumbest advents all time.
The hell? The neighborhood kids peep at you when taking a bath?
And yeah, they are not ideal. I never wore them but I read enough about them to know that they were a hazard. I just purely meant the looks.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Per sports net:

Attended that game.

Don't recall it being anything more than an oddity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad