Boxing: All boxing discussion

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It wasn't a robbery. Kovalev vs. Ward was a robbery.

Frankly the people who are calling this GGG and Jacobs fight a robbery are the same armchair neckbeards who truly believe crap like "Mayweather truly is the best ever" :)sarcasm:) because of his record, or who think that a fight is automatically boring because is there no KO.

This was a fight that could have honestly gone either way and frankly it literally came down to who did just a little bit more. And with the knockdown, GGG did just that. As I said on another forum, hopefully this close victory lights more of a fire under GGG's ass in his next fight as he looked sort of disinterested and fought with not much killer instinct last night.

Respect to Jacobs for putting up a good effort though and going the distance. Dude hung in there and was pretty hungry.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
18118875_817686431741497_4375544949924409051_n.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anthony Joshua coming out to Biggie. Kid don't play

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Amazing fight between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitchko, the best heavyweight fight in eons, and best fight I've seen while watching it probably since I started watching the sport. I would definitely say that Joshua went from a national hero in the UK to a worldwide star today.

Joshua wins 11th round TKO while Klitchko had momentum some would say was winning the fight. Joshua knocked down Klitchko in the 5th, and in his head thought he had won the fight, thus Wlad came back in the round (one judge, the showtime scorer, a friend of mine and I scored it 10-9 instead of 10-8), and then knocked down Joshua in the 6th to start the turnaround. Would've been a split decision at the time of stoppage for Joshua (I had it 95-94 for him). Joshua called out Tyson Fury, but he and Klitchko signed a 2-fight contract, so we'll see.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Amazing fight between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitchko, the best heavyweight fight in eons, and best fight I've seen while watching it probably since I started watching the sport. I would definitely say that Joshua went from a national hero in the UK to a worldwide star today.

Joshua wins 11th round TKO while Klitchko had momentum some would say was winning the fight. Joshua knocked down Klitchko in the 5th, and in his head thought he had won the fight, thus Wlad came back in the round (one judge, the showtime scorer, a friend of mine and I scored it 10-9 instead of 10-8), and then knocked down Joshua in the 6th to start the turnaround. Would've been a split decision at the time of stoppage for Joshua (I had it 95-94 for him). Joshua called out Tyson Fury, but he and Klitchko signed a 2-fight contract, so we'll see.

Absolutely awesome fight. Been watching boxing since Joshua's fight against whyte. Always loved the history and legends of the sport but AJ is bringing In a new era. He will be huge in North America very soon

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Absolutely awesome fight. Been watching boxing since Joshua's fight against whyte. Always loved the history and legends of the sport but AJ is bringing In a new era. He will be huge in North America very soon

He also 'answered all the questions' as they say, as you know, he's never gone past round 7. And he looked it. He went for the kill, and didn't get it, almost got stopped himself, and then found a way in the end when it looked like it was getting away from him. And against an era-dominating legend no less.

Joshua vs. Wilder would be a bonafide superfight. And to think they can still sell out Wembley when Joshua/Fury happens. Hopefully people in the States took notice, and hopefully neither guy drops the ball.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
He also 'answered all the questions' as they say, as you know, he's never gone past round 7. And he looked it. He went for the kill, and didn't get it, almost got stopped himself, and then found a way in the end when it looked like it was getting away from him. And against an era-dominating legend no less.

Joshua vs. Wilder would be a bonafide superfight. And to think they can still sell out Wembley when Joshua/Fury happens. Hopefully people in the States took notice, and hopefully neither guy drops the ball.

AJ really battled tonight. I thought he was done when Klitschko stunned him. He did a great job gaining his composure and keeping enough in the tank to finish the job. His chin isn't amazing but his competitiveness more than compensates. What a fight!

I think Wilder vs Joshua will happen within the year. They are on a crash course. I'm sure they will each have to fight a mandatory or two first but these guys can't fight bums any more. The heavyweight division is officially back on. I hope Joseph Parker keeps on track and Fury comes back. It'll get really interesting!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Wlad is done, it's under his own volition, he did prove he can still fight. By no means did he look like he was finished as a fighter.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Was looking forward to this fight, so glad I PVR'd the replay on HBO (was working Saturday afternoon). Amazing fight. Really hope Joshua fights Wilder.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not that they're anywhere near finalizing anything, but I remember hearing the Floyd/Conor freakshow was being penciled in for that date. Glad to see the Canelo/GGG move quickly and get this set up. Can't wait!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Floyd and Conor were serious enough about it to get it that soon. Triple G/Canelo was something that was always going to happen, so it made sense.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Yeah I heard that Canelo/Chavez Jr. was a real snoozefest last night. I figured as much so I'm glad I didn't pay $70 for the PPV nor did I even bother watching it.

I'm stoked that Canelo vs. GGG is finally happening though. It's been long overdue for both of them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's definitely going to be lame since the paycheck is the only thing either guy is worried about.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
It's also a lose/lose for Boxing in general.

If Mayweather wins, big whoop. Everyone expected it. Boxing is made to look like a sideshow that needed an MMA star to breathe some life into it (which it doesn't - it needs fights with opponents whose styles compliment each other).

If McGregor wins... well, there goes any kind of credibility Boxing has.

What a joke.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It's also a lose/lose for Boxing in general.

If Mayweather wins, big whoop. Everyone expected it. Boxing is made to look like a sideshow that needed an MMA star to breathe some life into it (which it doesn't - it needs fights with opponents whose styles compliment each other).

If McGregor wins... well, there goes any kind of credibility Boxing has.

What a joke.

Agreed.

Sadly this joke of a fight has more people talking about it, instead of being hyped about a real fight like Kovalev/Ward II tonight.

Seems only us hardcore fans know about/are stoked about Kovalev/Ward II

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad