All Black Gear in Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I know what Jarick means, but it's not easy to put into words. Maybe it's because most people show up to the rink with whatever, usually mismatched and don't care. But one then what one person steps out looking like he's ready to take warmups with the team on it's jersey, it's just odd.

I thought for a second that maybe I fell into this category. I have a pair of Penguins prostock pants and matching socks (both were a deal and ran me less than $70 total), but I wear an offsetting jersey and the blue helmet completely clashes with everything.

I think I'm safe.

its pretty simple. showing up in full NHL uniform for pick up just makes you look like you are trying too hard to look "cool" when the reality is you come across as looking like a fool.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i've honestly never heard an argument about how wearing all black gear during a game causes "puck visibility issues." never even thought about it, all black ice could would cause visibility issues but all black equipment?

still waiting for the day someone shows up wearing all white gear. white gloves are already bad enough
:laugh:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
its pretty simple. showing up in full NHL uniform for pick up just makes you look like you are trying too hard to look "cool" when the reality is you come across as looking like a fool.

I don't think I'd ever bother to take much notice or give it much thought. If Yevgeni or Sidney turns up to play, all five feet six of them, that's their business. Each to their own and it 's all just a bit of fun. That said, I've got a Mario shirt that I wouldn't dare turn up to a scrimmage wearing at present on the basis of the company I'm keeping there. I wouldn't be top two lines if there were three, though the gaps closing, but once I'm on the pace more consistently I think I'll break it out sometime.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I don't think I'd ever bother to take much notice or give it much thought. If Yevgeni or Sidney turns up to play, all five feet six of them, that's their business. Each to their own and it 's all just a bit of fun. That said, I've got a Mario shirt that I wouldn't dare turn up to a scrimmage wearing at present on the basis of the company I'm keeping there. I wouldn't be top two lines if there were three, though the gaps closing, but once I'm on the pace more consistently I think I'll break it out sometime.

I think the stigma is that its usually the guy who shows up dressed like Crosby who thinks he plays like crosby and acts like he plays like crosby, when the reality is that he is one of the worst guys on the ice.

from my experience, the sterotype holds true

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I think the stigma is that its usually the guy who shows up dressed like Crosby who thinks he plays like crosby and acts like he plays like crosby, when the reality is that he is one of the worst guys on the ice.

from my experience, the sterotype holds true

Aren't they cut down to size by the rest of the group? 'Great shot Sid', 'way to go Sid', 'watch out for the blue line Sid'. They must get the idea. I'd probably have done it at 16 but aren't about to do it at 40, playing dress up I mean.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Aren't they cut down to size by the rest of the group? 'Great shot Sid', 'way to go Sid', 'watch out for the blue line Sid'. They must get the idea. I'd probably have done it at 16 but aren't about to do it at 40, playing dress up I mean.

of course the rest of the guys are going to chirp at him. the thing is these guys have an overinflated self worth and tend to think the guys chirping at them are merely jealous

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
dang, im all about hockey gear and buying jerseys and socks to match, guess im one of those "lame" guys .. I wear my all black helmet/gloves/pants etc with my black new zealand jersey to pickup and my teams league games. Never woulda guessed I would be hated on for it.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
dang, im all about hockey gear and buying jerseys and socks to match, guess im one of those "lame" guys .. I wear my all black helmet/gloves/pants etc with my black new zealand jersey to pickup and my teams league games. Never woulda guessed I would be hated on for it.

There really isn't one post in this thread saying anything that you described was "lame". The thread is overwhelmingly ok with guys who rock all black to pickup, and there really hasn't been any mention of anything wrong with matching socks and jerseys to pickup.
The instance of that guy that wears a full NHL uniform from head to toe to a pickup has been discussed though, and I tend to agree it's kind of "lame", but far more in a funny way, than with any hate involved. People can wear what they want to pickup as long as each team can be differentiated.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

Your jersey is unique. There is a difference, and again black is a standard equipment color.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I just try and match socks and shirt, white shirt with white socks; and I never wear black. Most of the top guns wear black; and a couple are temperamental so and so's. Much prefer to play against them than with them. They talk far too much to want to play with them and I think I'd be more likely to tangle with them if I was on the same side, which is bad form for pick up.

Wonder if I could get a shirt with 'S/T/F/U' on it? Just for them.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
In all of my years of playing, I've never been aware of any kind of puck visibility problem from someone wearing all black. In fact I'd much rather see a whole team all in black during pickup than a confusing mixture of greys, yellows, reds, light blues, lime greens, etc.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if you want to talk visibility issues, mirrored visors are the problem

not what color gear you're wearing

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010
In all of my years of playing, I've never been aware of any kind of puck visibility problem from someone wearing all black. In fact I'd much rather see a whole team all in black during pickup than a confusing mixture of greys, yellows, reds, light blues, lime greens, etc.

This, a thousand times over.

When you've got a group of say 24 guys and 9 have white jerseys and 6 have black and then the 2 guys with blue and one with yellow and one with gray and the one with red... you get the idea... this is when it gets tough.

Because sometimes yellow or gray or whatever gets put on lights, and sometimes on darks, depending on how many are already "properly" outfitted. It's hard to keep track of because it's never consistent from session to session. This is why just having a black and a white jersey is best. Sometimes I wish the rink would keep a box of pinnies around for pick-up/scrimmage.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I just try and match socks and shirt, white shirt with white socks; and I never wear black. Most of the top guns wear black; and a couple are temperamental so and so's. Much prefer to play against them than with them.

Same here. Most of the hotshots wear black at my pickup skate, too. So you've got to contend with the three guys from the same junior team who refuse to be split up as well as the heard of sheep that don't want to play against them. The black bench will be 8-10 deep while the white side is lucky to have an extra 5. No thanks, I'd rather wear white and get a regular shift.

moreoutdoor

Jan 25, 2014
Central Coast CA
White is white, everything else is 'dark'
only issue is when there are more than one 'grey' and they want to play on oppposites - then somethin gotta give...
wear what you will, and what your fashion sense desires... it is pick-em-up...
I personally like seeing other kit from some other backwater...

Right now there is a preponderance of 'Kings' kit in my rink - think I'll wear Rangers to the next pickup... or maybe just stay with Habs... or Hershey or break out the old Bergen Brewers stuff...

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
White is white, everything else is 'dark'
only issue is when there are more than one 'grey' and they want to play on oppposites - then somethin gotta give...
wear what you will, and what your fashion sense desires... it is pick-em-up...
I personally like seeing other kit from some other backwater...

The way I've seen it done is dark colors with black, light colors with red. Light greys, teals, ect are white. Royal blues, dark reds are black.

Works surprisingly well.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
It always bewilders me as to why it's so hard for anyone to bring one plain black and one plain white practise sweater/jersey to a pickup game. They're pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of your gear. And it's pickup hockey, not a ******* fashion show. If you want to wear a white or black team jersey, that's cool too. If you don't have one or the other, get a cheap practise jersey of each. It won't break the bank and it will make the game so much more enjoyable for everyone.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I don't know why this would be an issue, unless you're the dude with the black holders on your skates and the super tinted visor, then it may be chirpable. Don't really care what the gear looks like as long as you've got a light & dark jersey, or don't mind swapping with someone who does. Seeing has how most gear is black (pants, gloves, helmets, etc...) this should be a non issue. I'd be more taken aback by a dude rocking all royal blue or something.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Experienced

Experienced players adapt, new players that have yet to move beyond weak basics do not have sufficient experience.

Looking at the question from another sport's perspective, the hitting background in BB is always black for optimum contrast with the white ball.

Granted you will always have white boards with or without ads at a hockey rink but you want everyone to succeed or play in the safest environment by picking up the puck as early as possible.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Experienced players adapt, new players that have yet to move beyond weak basics do not have sufficient experience.

Looking at the question from another sport's perspective, the hitting background in BB is always black for optimum contrast with the white ball.

It most definitely is not always black in baseball. While ideal, its the minority at almost any level of play. From little league, where you have adjacent fields/ people in the OF watching. All the way to the minors/majors, where only a few teams tarp off a section of seats that might be directly in the batters eye in CF for certain games. Its the vast minority.

Honestly, if it really was that big of a visibility issue, almost every goalie out there wouldn't have debunked the myth that forwards like myself feel we are getting an edge on them with our black blades, and black blade tape. You'd see way more guys with black holders if they felt it was giving them even the slightest edge in concealing the puck from an opponent.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Baseball

It most definitely is not always black in baseball. While ideal, its the minority at almost any level of play. From little league, where you have adjacent fields/ people in the OF watching. All the way to the minors/majors, where only a few teams tarp off a section of seats that might be directly in the batters eye in CF for certain games. Its the vast minority.

Honestly, if it really was that big of a visibility issue, almost every goalie out there wouldn't have debunked the myth that forwards like myself feel we are getting an edge on them with our black blades, and black blade tape. You'd see way more guys with black holders if they felt it was giving them even the slightest edge in concealing the puck from an opponent.

Following:

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040907/news_1s7padside.html

Not really keen on viewing all Google hitting background results but baseball is a tad more picky about hitting background issues then you may be suggesting.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I can't open up the link on my phone. However, your explanation of the "batters eye" is wrong. Very few teams implement a "black back drop" as you described. The only real rule is most ballpark don't have seats in dead CF. There are plenty of billboards, restaurants, ball park accoutrements, scoreboards, displays, but very few employ a solid back drop.

As it's already been stated numerous times, if all black(or a majority of it) truly was hindering lines of sight in hockey- far more people/teams would actually take advantage of it. As well as uniforms where the predominant color was black(jersey, pants, socks, helmet gloves/ with a couple spots and stripes of another color) would be frowned upon in youth or lower level hockey. It's clearly never been an issue.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Last Word

I can't open up the link on my phone. However, your explanation of the "batters eye" is wrong. Very few teams implement a "black back drop" as you described. The only real rule is most ballpark don't have seats in dead CF. There are plenty of billboards, restaurants, ball park accoutrements, scoreboards, displays, but very few employ a solid back drop.

As it's already been stated numerous times, if all black(or a majority of it) truly was hindering lines of sight in hockey- far more people/teams would actually take advantage of it. As well as uniforms where the predominant color was black(jersey, pants, socks, helmet gloves/ with a couple spots and stripes of another color) would be frowned upon in youth or lower level hockey. It's clearly never been an issue.

The seminal post was about all black in pick-up. Not partially. majority, or at the NHL level or at a level where skaters are just beyond the crawling stage.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=85751983&postcount=1

No one has shown any evidence of all black gear at any level. Show evidence of all black gear, no stripes, trim, off setting colours, etc at any level of hockey.

All black gear.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
The seminal post was about all black in pick-up. Not partially. majority, or at the NHL level or at a level where skaters are just beyond the crawling stage.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=85751983&postcount=1

No one has shown any evidence of all black gear at any level. Show evidence of all black gear, no stripes, trim, off setting colours, etc at any level of hockey.

All black gear.

No teams have solid color schemes because it's not aesthetically pleasing hence the need for stripes, trims, and off setting colors.

As for black backgrounds creating a hindrance for puck sight, I think if that were the case, black tape and all black blades would be more prevalent.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Pucks

No teams have solid color schemes because it's not aesthetically pleasing hence the need for stripes, trims, and off setting colors.

As for black backgrounds creating a hindrance for puck sight, I think if that were the case, black tape and all black blades would be more prevalent.

Overlooking the fact that since the 1930s Spalding Puck, the puck has never been all black.

http://www.classicauctions.net/default.aspx?tabid=266&auctionid=36&op=viewcat&catid=5

Plus the puck is on the ice which is not black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad