GDT: ALIENS @ WHAT

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree team toughness is a thing with us. The toughest version we had seen in a long time was the first year of Rod which lacked skill but had good chemistry and the guys stood up for each other more than being actual tough. Every version since then has been more like it was in the pre Rod era. I think Rod wants some team toughness, he loves third pair guys who play that way. He played Ferland until he didn’t. He likes something about it but I agree there’s a line in there somewhere.

Everyone laughed when Mrazek over acted that time Thornton popped him in the face, but your teammates are supposed to lose their minds when that happens whether you dive or not …not stand there and say “well he didn’t really get hit hard so we don’t have to do anything”. It felt like Mrazek did it to spark the guys and get everyone going and it was just…..nah. They even joked about it the next day which was a good way to get past it, but it showed us something. Last night the same thing happens and Slavin kinda started, but overall the same tepid response followed until Patches comes flying in with the standard across the league kind of response. Great to see, and showed that we don’t have the fire that way really. When Nino left and hinted something was missing, I think it was in this direction. Not fighting really, just a team toughness. Mentally and physically. All it takes is a guy or two to lead the way and others will follow. Don’t know that I expected that, or will continue to expect that from Patches but if he sees that as what we’re lacking and takes it upon himself to change the attitude I’ll like him even more. We’re already seeing the effect of someone who gets the idea of just shooting at the net hard even when it’s not the perfect angle or someone maybe being in the way. He’s a good addition, but we need that long term and I don’t know that he is. We’re going to lowball him.

We’re still a very good team, and it was an afternoon game against a crap team. I don’t think we’re good at that. Moving on.

ps……and I put this in wrong thread too!

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I agree team toughness is a thing with us. The toughest version we had seen in a long time was the first year of Rod which lacked skill but had good chemistry and the guys stood up for each other more than being actual tough. Every version since then has been more like it was in the pre Rod era. I think Rod wants some team toughness, he loves third pair guys who play that way. He played Ferland until he didn’t. He likes something about it but I agree there’s a line in there somewhere.

Everyone laughed when Mrazek over acted that time Thornton popped him in the face, but your teammates are supposed to lose their minds when that happens whether you dive or not …not stand there and say “well he didn’t really get hit hard so we don’t have to do anything”. It felt like Mrazek did it to spark the guys and get everyone going and it was just…..nah. They even joked about it the next day which was a good way to get past it, but it showed us something. Last night the same thing happens and Slavin kinda started, but overall the same tepid response followed until Patches comes flying in with the standard across the league kind of response. Great to see, and showed that we don’t have the fire that way really. When Nino left and hinted something was missing, I think it was in this direction. Not fighting really, just a team toughness. Mentally and physically. All it takes is a guy or two to lead the way and others will follow. Don’t know that I expected that, or will continue to expect that from Patches but if he sees that as what we’re lacking and takes it upon himself to change the attitude I’ll like him even more. We’re already seeing the effect of someone who gets the idea of just shooting at the net hard even when it’s not the perfect angle or someone maybe being in the way. He’s a good addition, but we need that long term and I don’t know that he is. We’re going to lowball him.

We’re still a very good team, and it was an afternoon game against a crap team. I don’t think we’re good at that. Moving on.

ps……and I put this in wrong thread too!
You and Negan are absolutely spot on here. Our culture of turning the other cheek just allows teams to beat us up and take us off our game. Brindy likes to talk about being "above that crap" but at the end of the day, it's a physical game and you cannot allow a team to push you around and take runs at your players without response.

We don't have the skill to just turn the other cheek and win it on the PP. If we did, teams wouldn't even think about bodying us like they do, but with a PP that sputters, and a team that goes out of its way to not push back, there is little, if anything, that we do that discourages opposing teams from playing over the line against us.

Getting more scoring would absolutely help, but so would having the team just stand up for itself in scrums. Burns going ham on a guy on opening night who ran into Freddie was great, and a whole lot of attitude we've been missing for a long time, but that was almost immediately coached away. Svech threw one heavy hit in the playoffs last year and somehow that took him completely off his game mentally to the point where he vanished the rest of the way. I just don't understand how this happens, especially watching the way we've melted down in the playoffs the last couple years when teams get physical with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad