News Article: Alfredsson Retirement Announcement Expected Dec 4 in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Retirement announcement expected Dec 4

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-alfredsson-s-comeback-bid-about-to-end-1.140932

Where to buy tickets to the December 4th game http://www.stubhub.com/ottawa-senators-tickets/ottawa-senators-ottawa-canadian-tire-centre-12-4-2014-9075775/

The Legend Speaks

Daniel Alfredsson
@DAlfredsson11
Coming to Ottawa with the family on Dec. 4th. Looking forward to see everybody!
#HappyThanksgiving #drycake?

Via the Dreger report.
I know money is always tight but it is time to bring Ottawa's favourite son back into the organization in a professional capacity. Have a role that Sakic, Niewendyk, etc have had with their respectful organizations before becoming GM's.

1) Little more on Daniel Alfredsson: hearing he would like retirement announcement to happen as soon as Monday when Senators are in DET...
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
2) But there is possibility of a larger send-off in Ottawa. After all, it is fitting that's where on-ice portion of his career ends. (END)

133rd Overall in the 1994 Draft
1178 Regular Season Appearances as an Ottawa Senator
121 Playoff Appearances as an Ottawa Senator
Ottawa Senators Captain from 1999-2013
6 Time NHL All-Star
NHL All-Rookie Team 1996
1996 Calder Trophy Recipient
2012 King Clancy Memorial Award Recipient
2013 Mark Messier Leadership Award Recipient
2006 Olympic Gold Medal
2014 Olympic Silver Medal
NHL All-Rookie Team 1996
CHEO ambassador

Thank You Alfie

Really hoping that fence gets mended between Alfie and the Sens

frozen_inside052007.jpg

legendsofhockey.jpg

620-alfredsson-daniel-thumb-620xauto-168591.jpg

Alfie-400th.jpg

AlfredssonLeaderface.jpg

4153305.jpg

daniel-alfredsson-dany-heatley-and-jason-spezza.jpg

reddens_boys.jpg

Last edited:

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
This is more Detroit related no?

We are talking about a shoe in for a retired jersey (only the 2nd player), the longest serving Ottawa captain of all time, our leader in all significant statistics, and a patriarch of the Ottawa community.

If this news doesn't belong here, than I question my status as a Sens fan

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
His bad back was probably why he wanted out of Ottawa ASAP. He simply did not have the time to spend on a rebuild. He also couldn't have made this public until after his retirement. Too bad he picked a banged up Detroit to go to.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Just a sad, depressing end to Alfie's career. If he had never left Ottawa his last year would have been celebrated and he would have been sent off as a hero/legend.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Just a sad, depressing end to Alfie's career. If he had never left Ottawa his last year would have been celebrated and he would have been sent off as a hero/legend.

That is what he gambled, and lost. Good lesson for the kids!

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa

True, but he should be still be sent off as a hero/legend because of his service to what was a fledgling organization when he joined it.

He wanted to win a cup. He knew he couldn't do it in Ottawa. If Detroit (and he) had stayed healthy, he would've had a legitimate chance to make a deep playoff run. More legitimate than anything Ottawa could have offered him.

He made a personal decision to try and claim the elusive Stanley Cup he always wanted, and regardless of how messy his split was with the team and city, I don't think a true, longtime Sens fans cannot fault him for trying to win a cup.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008

Still should be. His banner will be beside Finnigan's. I hope we don't retire Neil's, Spezza's, or Phillips numbers as it should not just be career as a Senator that determines a banner.

We should consider retiring Wade Redden's #6 though.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
No to Neil, Phillips, redden and Spezza. Yes to Alfredsson. Give him his ultimate night.

Sign him to a one-day contract and let him retire a Senator. Let him work with Murray as the torch is passed and find a place to learn the art of management. If we become good enough, he may realise his dream a different way and still hoist the Cup.

If he ever goes to the HoF, he can go as a Sen - 1st of the modern era.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I have no ill-will towards Alfie, but it makes me a bit sad to think of the decision he made and how it affected his legacy. But ultimately his legacy belongs to him and he earned the right to do what he thought was best.

I hope he can come back in a management role eventually, and as a first step I'd love to see him sign a one day contract and retire a Senator, hopefully that's being considered (like Roy Halladay did with the Jays).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
very sad that this is how his playing career might end. Won't be long before this thread is hijacked by Sens fans with short memories...

I really couldnt care less.. been watching him play since i started watching hockey.. Its just not the same with him not ending his career here... He chose to leaveand play somewhere else. Sorry but C YA

you either retire or get traded a hero, or play long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
True, but he should be still be sent off as a hero/legend because of his service to what was a fledgling organization when he joined it.

He wanted to win a cup. He knew he couldn't do it in Ottawa. If Detroit (and he) had stayed healthy, he would've had a legitimate chance to make a deep playoff run. More legitimate than anything Ottawa could have offered him.He made a personal decision to try and claim the elusive Stanley Cup he always wanted, and regardless of how messy his split was with the team and city, I don't think a true, longtime Sens fans cannot fault him for trying to win a cup.

Boston also wanted him. so that cup nonsense,thats hogwash (meh thought id use it)

He through a hissy fit and left...and thats that

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I really couldnt care less.. been watching him play since i started watching hockey.. Its just not the same with him not ending his career here... He chose to leaveand play somewhere else. Sorry but C YA

you either retire or get traded a hero, or play long enough to see yourself become the villain.

great comicbook philosophy, thanks for coming out

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Oh yeah he definitely deserves to be celebrated and his jersey should be retired, but it just wont feel as special as it should imo. It's pretty rare in sports to have a franchise player stick with one team his entire career. I think everyone involved (Alfie, the fans, the organization) deserved better. Feels like we all got robbed

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
great comicbook philosophy, thanks for coming out

I just dont get some of my fellow sens fans.. what he did was a complete slap in the face of all you.

and we retire his jersey.. i love how that gonna sound in 20 years..
Me:"yes son.. daniel alfreddson # 11, his number is retired, he played for us , and then said he didnt want to anymore and left"
Biancosaurus JR " OH? did he win us any cups?"
ME "uhhhhhh YEA SO ON TO LAZAR! the greatest player who ever was......."

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I just dont get some of my fellow sens fans.. what he did was a complete slap in the face of all you.

and we retire his jersey.. i love how that gonna sound in 20 years..
Me:"yes son.. daniel alfreddson # 11, his number is retired, he played for us , and then said he didnt want to anymore and left"
Biancosaurus JR " OH? did he win us any cups?"
ME "uhhhhhh YEA SO ON TO LAZAR! the greatest player who ever was......."

Yes because one season away from this org cancels out everything else he did. Get it together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad