Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
PDOcast did a deep dive podcast on Laf. i nearly cried. it was such a validation of the support many of us have shown him over the last 4 years.

btw to everyone who said he was dogshit when quinn and gallant absolutely manacled his offensive confidence and production, and insist it was hindsight, you're straight up wrong. some of us saw it and believed.
Do Kakko next

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
PDOcast did a deep dive podcast on Laf. i nearly cried. it was such a validation of the support many of us have shown him over the last 4 years.

btw to everyone who said he was dogshit when quinn and gallant absolutely manacled his offensive confidence and production, and insist it was hindsight, you're straight up wrong. some of us saw it and believed.

Great listen for anyone who is interested (good breakdown of the changes Panarin has made to his game as well.)

David Quinn shouldn't be allowed within 50000 feet of a NHL locker room. His method to player development is absolute shit. Trying to force a player to learn how to play defense first is such a horrible idea. That comes along the way, you should always let the player continue to hone the skills that allowed them to get picked a high as they were to begin with, not stifle them by getting them to do things that they aren't good at and not allowing them to do the things that they are good at. It was even worse with Kakko. Sharks should fire him before he f***s up anyone of note in San Jose.

Gallant is a doof for not allowing Panarin-Trocheck-Laf to cook for longer than it did last year (they were the only trio that created 5v5 offense for the Rangers last year.... not to dissimilar from this year.) Quite honestly, Lafreniere should have started his NHL career on Panarin's RW.

Anyway this is the one thing of note that I took away from that episode.

Laf is top 10 in the LEAGUE in

High Danger passes/60
Shots off of High Danger passes/60
Zone entries that led to scoring chances.

That line obviously performed well but they left a lot of production on the table.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Great listen for anyone who is interested (good breakdown of the changes Panarin has made to his game as well.)

David Quinn shouldn't be allowed within 50000 feet of a NHL locker room. His method to player development is absolute shit. Trying to force a player to learn how to play defense first is such a horrible idea. That comes along the way, you should always let the player continue to hone the skills that allowed them to get picked a high as they were to begin with, not stifle them by getting them to do things that they aren't good at and not allowing them to do the things that they are good at. It was even worse with Kakko. Sharks should fire him before he f***s up anyone of note in San Jose.

Gallant is a doof for not allowing Panarin-Trocheck-Laf to cook for longer than it did last year (they were the only trio that created 5v5 offense for the Rangers last year.... not to dissimilar from this year.) Quite honestly, Lafreniere should have started his NHL career on Panarin's RW.

Anyway this is the one thing of note that I took away from that episode.

Laf is top 10 in the LEAGUE in

High Danger passes/60
Shots off of High Danger passes/60
Zone entries that led to scoring chances.

That line obviously performed well but they left a lot of production on the table.

Guy who studies hockey religiously for a living: it was confidence and frequent puck touches playing with guys that are good

NYR HF: BARB UNDERHILL BAD SKATING

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Guy who studies hockey religiously for a living: it was confidence and frequent puck touches playing with guys that are good

I mean a lot of us were saying let him touch the puck, they still won't really let him because they won't put him on the powerplay, but at least with Panarin he gets more touches at 5v5 and has learned how to be an ES beast (offensively anyway).
In the pod they even talk about how Bedard touches the puck 100s of times per game in Chicago because they are so trash he can do literally whatever he wants.

If we had drafted Bedard he would be struggling right now. Guaranteed.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

As well as Laf saying directly his skating wasn’t where it needed to be and it was a key area he worked on in the offseason…..
It’s not just 1 thing and 1 thing only that was holding him back.
-quality linemates
-more ice time
-more confidence when a coach doesn’t demote him after not scoring for 2-3 games
- stronger legs/better footwork

Are all factors into him being a better player.
He’s also a year older and wiser. I’m sure that added to his maturity/commitment as well.

The main problem he’s going to face is getting on the 1PP.
For offensive guys, being up a man about being able to showcase your offense doesn’t only add to pt totals, it adds to more confidence… it’s critical for offensive development for young players.
Zibby is still a dangerous weapon on the PP, but he can’t be counted on to win a big faceoff.
If he could, Trochek might have never been on 1PP to start with.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
As well as Laf saying directly his skating wasn’t where it needed to be and it was a key area he worked on in the offseason…..
It’s not just 1 thing and 1 thing only that was holding him back.
-quality linemates
-more ice time
-more confidence when a coach doesn’t demote him after not scoring for 2-3 games
- stronger legs/better footwork

Are all factors into him being a better player.
He’s also a year older and wiser. I’m sure that added to his maturity/commitment as well.

The main problem he’s going to face is getting on the 1PP.
For offensive guys, being up a man about being able to showcase your offense doesn’t only add to pt totals, it adds to more confidence… it’s critical for offensive development for young players.
Zibby is still a dangerous weapon on the PP, but he can’t be counted on to win a big faceoff.
If he could, Trochek might have never been on 1PP to start with.
the thing is people act like his skating was this huge bottleneck to his game that was preventing him from showcasing his abilities. I find it to be a cope from those who won’t admit the team sucks at optimizing young players so they cling to a Laf quote identifying skating as an area to improve.

Interestingly this guy seems to think Lafrenieres skating has always been a plus attribute especially lateral shiftiness.

Reactions: noncents

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
1713556954905.png

The unique blend of setting up more and being set up more than your line mates.

Give Trocheck some love too, hes behind the other 2 but also grades out very well.

They scored what? 54 goals this year 5v5?

They should have probably been pushing 70.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
the thing is people act like his skating was this huge bottleneck to his game that was preventing him from showcasing his abilities. I find it to be a cope from those who won’t admit the team sucks at optimizing young players so they cling to a Laf quote identifying skating as an area to improve.

Interestingly this guy seems to think Lafrenieres skating has always been a plus attribute especially lateral shiftiness.
every young player needs to work hard to get stronger, skate better, etc.

this guy was held back because of shitty coaching and deployment. He could've put up 55 points his rookie year on panarins line with pp1 time

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
every young player needs to work hard to get stronger, skate better, etc.

this guy was held back because of shitty coaching and deployment. He could've put up 55 points his rookie year on panarins line with pp1 time
Exactly like if someone reaches out to Lafs personal coach, wtf do they expect him to say? “Hey we didn’t work on anything this off-season, we’re just waiting for the team to stop being dumb as hell and play him top 6”

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

I mean it’s noticeably better this year…
No one is saying that he was the worst skater in the world, he still put up 19 goals from 3rd line…
But just by watching him. Forget what the guy says or forget what Laf says himself, your own eyes can see he’s creating more space for himself by using his legs. Whether it’s getting into more open areas of the ice or not getting walled off/immediately cancelled by a defending player.
He’s holding the puck longer on his stick than he ever used to.
Kakko had a similar jump in his legs when he put up 40pts last year.
He was noticeably different from the year before as well…
Coincidentally it was also his 22-23 year old season as well I believe.
This season a poor start from Zibby/kreids-poor puck luck from him then injury marred his entire year.
There’s also a noticeable uptick in lads stamina as well.
Hes not as gassed or bent over after/end of shifts as he used to be…
If you’re looking for just 1 thing to boil it down too of why he’s had success this year it’s not going to be summed up by skating or confidence…
It’s a multitude of things that went his way and the hard work he put in into season is showing.
He’s always had the talent and hands with a good head on his shoulders. You don’t get picked 1OA without that

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Why didn't he have more 5 on 5 assists than Panarin then?

He was throwing quality passes all year, I think that’s more on troch as he prob could’ve buried a few more. And I don’t think 55-60 was too far fetched for bread to achieve.

Kid is the real f*ckin’ deal.

Can we get these playoffs going already?!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
View attachment 855346

Give Trocheck some love too, hes behind the other 2 but also grades out very well.

Sounds about right.

And lol Vesey. I’ve consistently said back when he was on the team for the first time that this dude is one of the worst passers I’ve ever seen. At least he’s fine at other stuff

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He was throwing quality passes all year, I think that’s more on troch as he prob could’ve buried a few more. And I don’t think 55-60 was too far fetched for bread to achieve.

Kid is the real f*ckin’ deal.

Can we get these playoffs going already?!
Trocheck finished top 10 in posts hit…

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
View attachment 855346

and this corrabaorates the eye test.

He's in the middle of HDC every game and so many are not converted. What were his xG for HDC passes/shots and it's probably dramatically lower than realized.

With continued improvement. Executing on HDC. PP1 time. 100pts player in prime?

Reactions: mas0764

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
and this corrabaorates the eye test.

He's in the middle of HDC every game and so many are not converted. What were his xG for HDC passes/shots and it's probably dramatically lower than realized.

With continued improvement. Executing on HDC. PP1 time. 100pts player in prime?
100 pt might be on the low end. He was profiled in the same tier as Matthews and mackinnon…
If he picks up more burst speed and improves his shot. I’m scared we might not have the cap space to lock him up or we’re gonna face a massive offer sheet for him.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
100 pt might be on the low end. He was profiled in the same tier as Matthews and mackinnon…
If he picks up more burst speed and improves his shot. I’m scared we might not have the cap space to lock him up or we’re gonna face a massive offer sheet for him.
100 points low end is a bit aggressive. 80 is the low end imo

Reactions: Shadowtron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad