Alexis Lafreniere - is he the 2nd best prospect since Crosby?

Is Alex Lafreniere the second best prospect since Crosby in 2005? (read question in OP)

• Total voters

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I remember the tsn specials after Christmas about Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, McDavid, and a couple others. As far as hype goes, Laf doesn't compare.

He did have a lot of over the top articles (Is this 15 year old the next McDavid?) type articles a few years ago but his hype died down a lot since then

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I rank him in the Eichel, Matthews, Mackinnon of this world, but he has a nasty side that no other prospect of his caliber ever had in recent memories. He looks like a future captain.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Did HF just forget, or are they intentionally ignoring the fact that Tavares was a center, granted exceptional status, and put up these numbers pre draft?

upload_2020-1-11_20-44-7.png

In what world is Laf even remotely close?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Did HF just forget, or are they intentionally ignoring the fact that Tavares was a center, granted exceptional status, and put up these numbers pre draft?

View attachment 306263

He had another year of 104 points in 56 games before his draft. Tavares is #2 but problem with him is that his 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons became less and less impressive. When a player is 16-18 you obviously want to see progression rather than them getting stagnant, let along declining. Laf on the other hand has obviously improved each year.

I also remember people were questioning his skating at draft time. I think he had hype that was Crosby/McDavid level when he put up 72 goals as a 16 year old, but it fell pretty far from there, even if he was still insanely hyped. It didn't help that Hedman was heralded as the best D-man since Pronger. Hedman over Tavares became a legit argument for some.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He had another year of 104 points in 56 games before his draft. Tavares is #2 but problem with him is that his 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons became less and less impressive. When a player is 16-18 you obviously want to see progression rather than them getting stagnant, let along declining. Laf on the other hand has obviously improved each year.

I also remember people were questioning his skating at draft time. I think he had hype that was Crosby/McDavid level when he put up 72 goals as a 16 year old, but it fell pretty far from there, even if he was still insanely hyped. It didn't help that Hedman was heralded as the best D-man since Pronger. Hedman over Tavares became a legit argument for some.

Okay, but Tavares has borderline generational IQ, which allowed him to post those numbers. Lafreniere doesn't have one such attribute. Doesn't play center. Doesn't have the numbers or accolades Tavares does. Yet he's almost unanimously ranked higher than JT. It's embarrassing.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Okay, but Tavares has borderline generational IQ, which allowed him to post those numbers. Lafreniere doesn't have one such attribute. Doesn't play center. Doesn't have the numbers or accolades Tavares does. Yet he's almost unanimously ranked higher than JT. It's embarrassing.
Lafreniere's IQ is incredible though, it's his best attribute as well. The winger thing does matter though.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
People tend to forget that player development wasn’t the same when Crosby played in the Q, he was so clearly ahead of his peers then cause the average junior player wasn’t as good as they currently are and when McDavid played, McDavid imo was considered the better prospect of the two.

This is false. 2004-05 was the strongest year in CHL history. Full season NHL lockout and 2003 draftees were 19. The salary cap also causes teams to play more 18 & 19 year olds on ELCs in the NHL, weakening the CHL. Hell, every couple months there's even a thread where someone wants 18 & 19 year olds in the AHL.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Still not close to Tavares. Tavares put up historic numbers in spite of his skating because of his IQ.

We know that Tavares did not come close to a level in the NHL that would match the dominance he showed in the O unlike Crosby, McDavid or Kane who have totally have done that.

His numbers need to be taken a with a big grain of salt thus opening the door to someone like Laf being regarded higher.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I laugh(eniere) any time someone says this guy is better than Matthews.

Laf will not be better than him, no crystal ball needed.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

View attachment 306263

His draft season is tracking to be better than Tavares'.

A lot of the Tavares hype died down in his draft season after he failed to really improve on his sensational D-1 season.

Still, I do agree that I don't see why Laf should be considered on a different level than Tavares. I'd add the names of Matthews, Eichel and Dahlin to that.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
We know that Tavares did not come close to a level in the NHL that would match the dominance he showed in the O unlike Crosby, McDavid or Kane who have totally have done that.

His numbers need to be taken a with a big grain of salt thus opening the door to someone like Laf being regarded higher.

Tavares just had a 47 goal season where he had elite defense at center. That's arguably better than any season Kane had. I don't see Lafreniere being anywhere near that ever in the NHL. He just doesn't have that talent.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
His draft season is tracking to be better than Tavares'.

A lot of the Tavares hype died down in his draft season after he failed to really improve on his sensational D-1 season.

Still, I do agree that I don't see why Laf should be considered on a different level than Tavares. I'd add the names of Matthews, Eichel and Dahlin to that.

This is essentially Laf's draft+1 considering his birthday. His numbers are absolutely not even remotely close to Tavares.

This entire thread is just reeking of recency bias. Lafreniere is like a Taylor Hall type #1. Excellent player, but again, not on the Stamkos/Tavares/Matthews/MacKinnon level.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
This is essentially Laf's draft+1 considering his birthday. His numbers are absolutely not even remotely close to Tavares.

This entire thread is just reeking of recency bias. Lafreniere is like a Taylor Hall type #1. Excellent player, but again, not on the Stamkos/Tavares/Matthews/MacKinnon level.

Compare it to Tavares D season where he had 104 points in 56 games then. Still below Laf's current pace.

There's also some irony when you start bringing up Hall as a comparable when Laf is clearly superior statistically. Same goes for Mackinnon and even Stamkos. It's especially odd considering I'm thinking Laf is nigh unanimously regarded as the best prospect to come out of the Q since Crosby, and that includes Mackinnon.

Laf is definitely on the level of Tavares/Matthews as a prospect. The question is whether he's a better prospect or not.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Compare it to Tavares D season where he had 104 points in 56 games then. Still below Laf's current pace.

There's also some irony when you start bringing up Hall as a comparable when Laf is clearly superior statistically. Same goes for Mackinnon and even Stamkos. It's especially odd considering I'm thinking Laf is nigh unanimously regarded as the best prospect to come out of the Q since Crosby, and that includes Mackinnon.

Laf is definitely on the level of Tavares/Matthews as a prospect. The question is whether he's a better prospect or not.

Laf wasn't/isn't even a lock to be #1 in his own draft yet.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Laf wasn't/isn't even a lock to be #1 in his own draft yet.

Neither was Tavares by the time the 09 draft came around.

Neither was Matthews with how much traction Laine had been getting leading up to the draft.

What's your point? Your arguments are incoherent and lead to nowhere. It's almost as if you had a horse (or two) in this race.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Tavares just had a 47 goal season where he had elite defense at center. That's arguably better than any season Kane had. I don't see Lafreniere being anywhere near that ever in the NHL. He just doesn't have that talent.

Holy mackinaw!

3rd in goals and 16th in points is somehow better than 2nd in goals and first in points by 17???

Tavares has one very good season (Top 3ish) and is solid a Top Ten forward for his era.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Neither was Tavares by the time the 09 draft came around.

Neither was Matthews with how much traction Laine had been getting leading up to the draft.

What's your point? Your arguments are incoherent and lead to nowhere. It's almost as if you had a horse (or two) in this race.

My argument is that there are players that have excelled to a much greater degree against tougher competition, and people like yourself are just clouded with so much recency bias it's gotten to a ridiculously insane level.

1) Matthews dominated men in the Swiss league, then went to the WHC against NHLers and was amongst the best players in the tournament.
2) Tavares was granted exceptional status, went on to have historic OHL seasons, much more dominant than Lafreniere.
3) Prospects like Eichel, Dahlin also dominated against men.

I just don't see a single reason why he should even be mentioned in the same breath as the elite #1s and quite honestly, he's closer to Jack Hughes than he is Matthews/Tavares/Dahlin/Eichel.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Why is there not an answer called "who the f*** knows".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad