Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
You've got a 1OA LW who's clearly a talented driver of goals and scoring chances at even strength and a 2OA RW who's just spent a season dominating as a chance suppressor and play driver. I really want to see them with Zibanejad in the middle. That 2 on 1 goal was a true highlight of the season, just unbelievable.
That would be a killer line.

Man, watching the Laf highlight video is really something else. Kid has such incredible hands. He can hit some crazy angles with his shots too. I really felt his confidence was building in the last third of the season.

I think he comes out the gate scoring this year.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Panarin should play center too. What are we paying this guy $80 million for? He is supposedly elite and it’s not that hard to change positions in today’s NHL.
I know you're being sarcastic and I agreee.

Panarin sets up on the left side then basically does whatever he wants out there. No reason to push these guys into positions they don't normally play. Especially center.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I also think that is most likely Gallants intention. I think he has it in his head

kreider-Zibanejad-LaF
Panarin-Strome- Blais/Kravtsov
Goodrow-Chytil-Kakko
Hunt- Rooney-Reaves/Blais/Kravtsov

rather not see Kravtsov on 4th line, but I’m not sure where else he would line up if Blais and Panarin click.
Gallant has said, multiple times now, he’s not against moving LaF to RW. I don’t know how well he’s going to play there, but I have no doubt it’s going to be tried at some point.
Wonder is he wants to try Kravtsov on LW????
I still see too many wings and not enough spots. Not to mention Gauthier if he’s not waived. Also not too mention Barron if he has a lights out camp and Gallant envisions his as his 3C for now and the future.
Nah... Kreider should start on the third line.

Kakko should start on the first line.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Nah... Kreider should start on the third line.

Kakko should start on the first line.
I know many have a 3rd kind of Kreider-Chytil- Goodrow.
And some think a 2nd line of Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov/Kakko.
I’m not sure it shakes out that way. I also don’t think they like the idea that all 3 shoot left on 3rd line and all 3 shoot right on the proposed 2nd

I doubt Gallant would want any line to have 3 left or 3 right handed shots on the same line. Going to be interesting to see how it shakes out from camp. I’m not so sure kreider is destined for 3LW duty to start the year though. He has proven chemistry with Zibby, and LaF would be a nice compliment on the RW for both their styles of play.
However, it could create other question marks further down the line up.
A 3rd line of
Goodrow-Chytil/Barron- kravtsov/ kakko is also an idea that’s going to be in play.
Hopefully kravtsov can build some chemistry with LaF/Panarin At camp. The top 9 looks to be too crowded atm.
I also think those fans penciling in Blais for 4 th line duty are in for a rude awakening....
Reaves is probably still an everyday player, even at his age. 4th line minutes shouldn’t be too demanding. I think Hunt will get the chance to be an everyday 4th line option, unless he shows he can’t handle the role.
Still way too many uncertainties right now. I still can’t believe Drury hasn’t made at least 1 more trade.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It’s impossible to change positions. Meanwhile our top 4 LD is a converted forward who didn’t play a full season on d until his first year with the US National development team at age 16-17. And that’s a far more significant change than wing to center.

You have to dominate a larger area on the ice as a center but for these elite athletes I'm not sure why that is a tough thing to do. They also have to be asked to be more defensively focused and hustle to different areas of the ice, have to be more of a facilitator.

But some of our prospects already demonstrate these qualities but at wing. I'm not sure what else they would be forced to learn.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Positions are much more fluid in today's NHL. More and more players are comfortable in different positions as open play becomes more dynamic and the positioning mostly dictates where one lines up for the face off.

That said, there are still certain players who prefer to stick to 1 spot.

Kreider at LW, Cuylle at RW, Khodorenko and Richards at C for instance.

This post doesn’t make sense. Positions are about as fluid as in any other sport. It’s not that easy for a first baseman to play third. They obviously can, but it’s not ideal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This post doesn’t make sense. Positions are about as fluid as in any other sport. It’s not that easy for a first baseman to play third. They obviously can, but it’s not ideal.

A 1st or 3rd baseman plays the same position on the field throughout the game. Hockey is much more dynamic. There are players who are just as comfortable on the right side as they are on the left side. You just can't expect any player to transition that easily.

Personally, I wouldn't move Lafrenière out of position because I don't really know how he feels playing RW or C, but a guy like Barron, Rueschhoff, Richards, Berard? Yeah. I'd have no problem with that because I know they feel comfortable in other positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnSandvich

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I get that positions can be changed, but I have always lived by the mindset that "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

He's played his whole life at LW, he just dominated his three years in Juniors from the LW to the point of getting picked, unanimously, 1st overall in 2020.

What justification is there to move him to RW.

It is clearly a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Personally, let the kid come into his own in this league before you start dicking around with where he plays and potentially f***ing with his confidence at the pro level.

People that try to be the smartest in the room make the dumbest decisions.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
If you had a 6’3” center with great court vision, handling, and could hit three pointers you probably wouldn’t balk at the idea of moving him to point guard even if he’s never played the position.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If you had a 6’3” center with great court vision, handling, and could hit three pointers you probably wouldn’t balk at the idea of moving him to point guard even if he’s never played the position.
It all depends on the player, their ability to learn, and getting the most out of them.

If the player is a 10/10 center vs an 8/10 point guard, play them at center. I'm a firm believer in playing players in their best position rather than moving them around based on short-term needs of the team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Granted, if you had 6'3" center, you'd be 0-82 and would have nothing to lose.

Reactions: romba

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I get that positions can be changed, but I have always lived by the mindset that "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

He's played his whole life at LW, he just dominated his three years in Juniors from the LW to the point of getting picked, unanimously, 1st overall in 2020.

What justification is there to move him to RW.

It is clearly a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Personally, let the kid come into his own in this league before you start dicking around with where he plays and potentially f***ing with his confidence at the pro level.

People that try to be the smartest in the room make the dumbest decisions.

There's no real gain moving Lafreniere to RW anyway, so I understand why not to take the risk. If you are gonna risk a decrease in production by moving positions, do it with a lesser value asset: Kreider, if someone has to move just to fit into the top 6.

In reality I suspect "in today's NHL," you can deploy three lines as offensive lines in different roles and give them all very good ice time, and so, you can make room for three different LWs to get "starter's minutes," without having to shift one into the "top 6." So in that sense moving Lafreniere to RW to fit him into an arbitrary "top 6," when the "top 9," gets nearly as much ice time, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

On the other hand, we actually stand to gain something by finding if one of our star wingers can play center long term. That's a risk worth at least testing the waters on.

Reactions: Ori

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
We have two forwards with synergy. They go together. Find others that do. Then put them together.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There's no real gain moving Lafreniere to RW anyway, so I understand why not to take the risk. If you are gonna risk a decrease in production by moving positions, do it with a lesser value asset: Kreider, if someone has to move just to fit into the top 6.

In reality I suspect "in today's NHL," you can deploy three lines as offensive lines in different roles and give them all very good ice time, and so, you can make room for three different LWs to get "starter's minutes," without having to shift one into the "top 6." So in that sense moving Lafreniere to RW to fit him into an arbitrary "top 6," when the "top 9," gets nearly as much ice time, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

On the other hand, we actually stand to gain something by finding if one of our star wingers can play center long term. That's a risk worth at least testing the waters on.

There is a lot of gain considering without moving one of our LW to RW we have one of the worst RW groups in the league.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If you're moving Lafreniere to RW to accomodate Chris Kreider of all people, something has gone very badly wrong. If you're doing it to load up a Panarin-Zib-Laf line, maybe i can see it.

Still dumb though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If you're moving Lafreniere to RW to accomodate Chris Kreider of all people, something has gone very badly wrong. If you're doing it to load up a Panarin-Zib-Laf line, maybe i can see it.

Still dumb though.

Our line-up isn't really a difficult puzzle.

Lafrenière-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Goodrow
Blais-Rooney-Gauthier/Reaves

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Nemeth-Lundkvist

Shestyorkin
Georgiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad