Alexei Morozov is retiring

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He announced about it yesterday. It was a pity he didn't get back to Pens after that stupid lock-out. He could become a real star in the NHL playing with Sid and Geno. A few PPG seasons could be quite possible, I'd say.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't think Morozov could have been a star in the NHL. When he was winning scoring championships in the super league, he wasn't doing anything differently or better than he had been in Pittsburgh. The D simply weren't covering him properly.

If you completely ignore a guy with a hard, heavy shot (when Aleksey Morozov's shot hit glass it made an earsplitting 'thunk' sound you could probably hear from the parking lot) and allow him to stand in the right circle without any acknowledgment that he's dangerous there, he's going to pile up goals like crazy. That's what Super League clubs allowed him to do. NHL clubs would not have.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't think Morozov could have been a star in the NHL. When he was winning scoring championships in the super league, he wasn't doing anything differently or better than he had been in Pittsburgh. The D simply weren't covering him properly.

If you completely ignore a guy with a hard, heavy shot (when Aleksey Morozov's shot hit glass it made an earsplitting 'thunk' sound you could probably hear from the parking lot) and allow him to stand in the right circle without any acknowledgment that he's dangerous there, he's going to pile up goals like crazy. That's what Super League clubs allowed him to do. NHL clubs would not have.

He scored 50 pts in 75 games in his last NHL season playing with garbage. And he outscored all NHL stars in the lock-out season in RSL. As I said he could be a PPG player on Sid's wing.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Morozov would have faired much better in the new NHL than the one he knew previously, but fact is, he was making wayyy more money playing in Russia than he would have playing here.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Created a couple of good memories but ran off to play in a 3rd tier league when things got rough. Still have a couple things he autographed around my apartment.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He scored 50 pts in 75 games in his last NHL season playing with garbage. And he outscored all NHL stars in the lock-out season in RSL. As I said he could be a PPG player on Sid's wing.

Nah. He was playing with Malone for much of the season. Malone was better than Morozov ever was in the NHL, even as a rookie.

Even if that wasn't the case, Morozov wouldn't be the only crap player with a big shot and little else to put up respectable numbers in big minutes with horrible linemates.

Finally, there's no chance that Morozov would be a "PPG" player on Sid's wing. None. Zero.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012

Ever heard of Alex Ovechkin?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ever heard of Alex Ovechkin?

Difference between these two is that Alex Ovechkin does work to get free. On their PP, he's constantly adjusting position to create a lane between him and whoever has the puck on the strong side.

In the Super League, Morozov was literally just camping at the inside of the right circle with nobody ever thinking they might want to pick him up.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
those terrible pens teams were more fun to watch than these current pens imo.

the pens today are worth watching because theres a decent change you'll see crosby/malkin do something amazing, but otherwise they are pretty boring/forgettable.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

the pens today are worth watching because theres a decent change you'll see crosby/malkin do something amazing, but otherwise they are pretty boring/forgettable.
You complained just as much then as you do now.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nothing says fun like feeling like the team had achieved something when they weren't down by multiple goals in the first 5 minutes. Not winning more than 2 games in a row for an entire season? A blast!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not sure I agree about him becoming a star but anyways.

We've been lucky as fans, not only Mario and Jags but we had some great exciting players when they wanted in Lang, Morozov, Straka, Kovalev and lots more.

Enjoy it Alexei

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've always had a soft spot for AMoz. Probably the first Penguins prospect I really followed in any capacity. It was tough not to be intrigued, what with the whole "Best Player Not In The NHL" tag being attached to him prior to his coming over. Obviously he didn't really find much success in his NHL career. And a lot of that was simply due to his style of play not translating to NHL ice and his unwillingness (or inability) to adapt. Along with, IMO, not being put really in the best position to succeed by the team. But I agree that he probably could have carved out more of a productive niche for himself at least the first few years post-lockout, as the game was much more wide open.

He only really had a few memorable NHL moments. But at least he found a lot of success in his home country. And was able to parlay that into scoring titles, championships and national team captaincy. Not to mention an undoubtedly nice living, considering what the KHL pays it's top players. Of which he was certainly one.

Best of luck in whatever he does post hockey. I won't say he was one of the greats or anything close to it for this organization. But he was still an erstwhile favorite when there weren't many options.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

That’s what happens when you surround your top playmakers with garbage. Imagine if Peyton Manning had consistently the worst group of receivers in the NFL.. His stats/production would be garbage.

Sid/Geno are talented enough that they can still occasionally make plays by themselves, but without talent around them.. They become MUCH easier to shutdown.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
That goal and that celebration, along with Ric Jackman's OT winner against Phoenix to break the losing streak are two of the only bright moments I can remember from that season.

Bright moments, for me anyway, was the availability of GREAT seats, at a really cheap price.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

No they weren't. I don't know how anyone could say that who actually watched or went to some of those games.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
No they weren't. I don't know how anyone could say that who actually watched or went to some of those games.

I believe he's talking about expectations and specifically referring to the last year or two. These teams from the last couple of seasons have been uninspiring. When there's little to no expectation of greatness you can enjoy your time at the rink in a different way. On the other hand, when you believe you have a coach who's wasting prime years of two of this generation's best players, it can be hard to swallow.

I, for one, have enjoyed myself every time I've had the opportunity to go to an NHL game. I'm not a STH, and I live two hours from Pittsburgh, but I value every opportunity I get. I saw several games at the Igloo during those three bad seasons, and I had a blast every time.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Do you really think they are remotely comparable?

No, my comparison is how they both get left wide open in the right circle. In Ovechkin's case it's worse because he is so much better than Morozov.

Highlight after highlight of Ovie scoring will be that big shot he has coming from the right circle with nobody near him. It happens about 700 times a season, you only see the 50 or so that go in.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

but these new teams are much much better at hockey. I'd rather watch us win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad