Player Discussion: Alexandre Texier

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, he's coming back. My personal expectations is 50ish points but that could go up if he proves to Babcock he can play higher in the lineup.
That’d be great, for sure. I have him around 36-43 points getting mostly productive 3rd line minutes. If he breaks 40 I view it as a huge plus. I’m happy he’s back as his game is the type that will help this club.

Reactions: Marioesque

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Last time Tex was playing for us, he was probably our most consistently effective forward. Not blowing anyone away on the stat sheet of course, but he was on pace for about 45 points before he got hurt.

I would be surprised to see 50 points, but I wouldn't be surprised to see upper 30s-low 40s while continuing to be one of our most all-around effective guys. I'm ecstatic to have him back.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I have full faith that he'll cement himself in the top 9 and play with Gaudreau, Laine, Johnson, or Fantilli, three of them weren't here the last season he played here. I think him and Fantilli could mesh well and wreck havoc on the forecheck, digging pucks out and kicking them out to the new defensemen we got. Both Severson and Provorov each have two seasons of over 10 goals, they both know how to get the puck on net.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Many of you forget one thing. When he played with Laine and Voráček, he played poorly. His game improved drastically after he was moved to Kuraly and Robinson. Later, when Larsen tried him again with creative players, again the play was worse.

The season before, he played best with Jenner and Foligno. All were either grinders or players who prefer a simple game.

Tex may be fast, has great acceleration, skill, transition but it's questionable if he can play with creative players.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Many of you forget one thing. When he played with Laine and Voráček, he played poorly. His game improved drastically after he was moved to Kuraly and Robinson. Later, when Larsen tried him again with creative players, again the play was worse.

The season before, he played best with Jenner and Foligno. All were either grinders or players who prefer a simple game.

Tex may be fast, has great acceleration, skill, transition but it's questionable if he can play with creative players.
What makes you think anyone forgets any of this? Laine and Voracek also play a slower pace game so how do we know its a creative issue vs a pace issue? I wouldnt take anything off the table in a new system with many new players

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
My guess is that Fantilli and Tex will be starting on the third line and creating havoc against the lines that that they’re matched against. Babs will utilize them wisely and it will be a great adjustment/introduction for Fantilly to the pace of the NHL and the rest for the tandem going forward will be fun to watch.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What makes you think anyone forgets any of this? Laine and Voracek also play a slower pace game so how do we know its a creative issue vs a pace issue? I wouldnt take anything off the table in a new system with many new players
Because if someone relies on combinations, won't engage in speed skating.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg played with Holmstrom, who is a player like Voronkov if compare our players and not like Texier.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Last time Tex was playing for us, he was probably our most consistently effective forward. Not blowing anyone away on the stat sheet of course, but he was on pace for about 45 points before he got hurt.

I would be surprised to see 50 points, but I wouldn't be surprised to see upper 30s-low 40s while continuing to be one of our most all-around effective guys. I'm ecstatic to have him back.
He had a run of 18 pts in 20 games after a little slow start to the season. I don't think 45 pts is out of the question but it's likely going to take a little to reacclimate to the NHL speed and game. I'd be happy with 35 and the growth curve continuing under Babcock. He's got a pretty unique skill set that this team could sorely use.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That’d be great, for sure. I have him around 36-43 points getting mostly productive 3rd line minutes. If he breaks 40 I view it as a huge plus. I’m happy he’s back as his game is the type that will help this club.

40 pts in bottom six minutes with little powerplay time is A LOT of points.

It would be a big boost for our team if he can score that much in a role that you'd normally expect 25-30 pts from.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Safe to say a lot of us were hoping for more from Tex's return. But what he's good at is still a valuable thing for us.

I made this comment on the GDT but I'm moving it here in case people want to talk Tex:

Elvis
Tex
Bean
Boquist
Provonov to start

And I like Tex a lot but I was hoping to see more from him and where he fits next year is a question. I don’t think he can crack the top9.

Texier is a good checking forward on a team with only one viable checking line (the 4th line). That's pretty much where he fits. And I'm okay with that. Some people are going to interpret it such that if a guy isn't top 9 you're supposed to get rid of him, but having a 4th line that establishes a forecheck and pushes play is a big plus.

4th lines typically get outplayed, but the combination of Texier with Kuraly and Olivier/Danforth has 8 GF, 7 GA and good xGs. (No direct link to that but you can see it on moneypuck lines). That's something you want to keep.

He is not a guy you should usually put with skilled players. And I would call the Texier-Sillinger-Marchenko line "the can't make a f*****g pass line". But put him on a unit that actually knows how to forecheck. Danforth, Kuraly, and Olivier are all smart pros about it too, I hope to see them all here next year.

On super-forechecking teams like Carolina and Florida (the teams that lead the league in dump and chase), I think Texier might fit in higher in the lineup. They have expertly figured out the timing on the forecheck. But I would like to keep Tex so that we can figure that out in Columbus.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I agree with major, the problem on this team isn't the Texier's of the world, if anything I think we need more guys like him, just with more skill.

The bottom of the lineup isn't a big concern to me. Those guys mostly do their job. I do think Kuraly is expendable, but I think Olivier, Texier, and Danforth carry their weight for a 4th line. I'd like to keep them.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The bottom of the lineup isn't a big concern to me. Those guys mostly do their job. I do think Kuraly is expendable, but I think Olivier, Texier, and Danforth carry their weight for a 4th line. I'd like to keep them.

Jarmo’s greatest skill was finding depth forwards. Unfortunately depth forwards, on their own, don’t win you Cups.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo’s greatest skill was finding depth forwards.

If you're talking 4th liners, I think Jarmo actually screwed it up a couple times.

Around 2013 the 4th line was hard hitting guys like Derek Mackenzie, Dorsett, and Comeau, and sometimes had Letestu or Calvert. And in the name of "contract flexibility" Jarmo replaced them with guys like Greg Campbell and Corey Tropp who got absolutely slaughtered.

Then you've got the Lars era where Jarmo could barely supply the coach with one or two players who had basic forechecking ability.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jarmo’s greatest skill was finding depth forwards. Unfortunately depth forwards, on their own, don’t win you Cups.
It's pretty hard to judge the quality of the top 6 when some of them are injured (e.g. Laine), the defense isn't much better, so players like Bayreuther have had a lot of minutes, the goalies are coming off injuries. Aside from that, you are building a new team and nobody is going to give you a quality center.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know... I feel this is what I expected of Texier in his return. His season has improved dramatically (points and overall play) as we've moved along and I didn't expect a top 6 guy (I think he has sneaky skill to possibly get there but I'm more resigned to a 3rd line type guy). 29 points in 74 games is a little lower than I was hoping but I didn't expect more than 0.5 ppg type guy. For a guy that had zero points in his first 11 games back, he's close to that pace and he's a good PK guy that offers a little threat. Decent size, skill and a good forecheck. Also gets under people's skin. He may not be unique but I think there is more there and would like to see him stick around.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
I don't know... I feel this is what I expected of Texier in his return. His season has improved dramatically (points and overall play) as we've moved along and I didn't expect a top 6 guy (I think he has sneaky skill to possibly get there but I'm more resigned to a 3rd line type guy). 29 points in 74 games is a little lower than I was hoping but I didn't expect more than 0.5 ppg type guy. For a guy that had zero points in his first 11 games back, he's close to that pace and he's a good PK guy that offers a little threat. Decent size, skill and a good forecheck. Also gets under people's skin. He may not be unique but I think there is more there and would like to see him stick around.
People forget hes still so young

Reactions: Xoggz22

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This. Exactly. Yeah I'd have hoped for 40~ than 30~ but the team also stinks. Tex is fine. He is as close to a "glue guy" as there is on the roster.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
This is exactly my thoughts. After he got his bearings, he paced for pretty much exactly the amount of points I expected, while the team was significantly worse than I expected. And he is valuable on PK, and shootout. I still think he can play anywhere in the lineup without looking out of place. But I agree his optimal spot is on a hard forechecking, good defensive line.

I imagine he’s the type of guy that a new GM will view as very valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad