Alexander Wennberg

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I feel like it's about time we start a new thread for Wenny..

Starting the season off strong with 7 pts in 7 games and 33 pts in 47 games since the Johansen trade.

It's still early but with a strong season I think this is the year he shows he has true #1C upside. If he can figure out his faceoff struggle and pot a few more goals this season he's going to erase all doubts.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Wennberg is developing nicely. If you look back, last year should have been his first full year with the club. He was called up earlier in 2014-15 because of the injuries. In 2015-16 he had the slow start, possibly due to the concussion in the season opener.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Before the season started, I predicted he would score 15-45-60. If he keeps up his play (and starts winning more draws), he may indeed eclipse the 60 point mark. He's our defacto 1C now. I really like how he's played, he seems very engaged with his speed and defensive play, and more willing to shoot the puck, too.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I feel like it's about time we start a new thread for Wenny..

Starting the season off strong with 7 pts in 7 games and 33 pts in 47 games since the Johansen trade.

It's still early but with a strong season I think this is the year he shows he has true #1C upside. If he can figure out his faceoff struggle and pot a few more goals this season he's going to erase all doubts.

I still think he is a number 2 center (a very good number 2 center).

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I disagree, I think he ends up at a top tier 2C. He just doesn't have the ability to score, and he is lacking in the face off department. A 1C should be able to take over a game and that is something I can never see Wennbeg doing.

I see a good 2C PP/Pker who is good for around 50 points a year with good two way play, a Mikko Koivu type guy. If he's your 1C you never win the cup but if he's your 2/3 then that's a good sign.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I disagree, I think he ends up at a top tier 2C. He just doesn't have the ability to score, and he is lacking in the face off department. A 1C should be able to take over a game and that is something I can never see Wennbeg doing.

I see a good 2C PP/Pker who is good for around 50 points a year with good two way play, a Mikko Koivu type guy. If he's your 1C you never win the cup but if he's your 2/3 then that's a good sign.

Ability? He has the ability, just doesnt have a goalscorers mindset. If he threw the puck at the net like Cam he'd be a pretty good goalscorer I think but he seems like the guy who would rather set up a nice goal instead of score it. Hes 22 so lets hope his game keeps maturing and he gets atleast 100 shots this year for the 1st time

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

Koivu is a career ~60 points per 82 guy. I agree that he isn't a 1C good enough to lead the way to a Cup, but a 60 point guy with good defensive play is certainly a 1C nonetheless.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Ability? He has the ability, just doesnt have a goalscorers mindset. If he threw the puck at the net like Cam he'd be a pretty good goalscorer I think but he seems like the guy who would rather set up a nice goal instead of score it. Hes 22 so lets hope his game keeps maturing and he gets atleast 100 shots this year for the 1st time
Hard to believe Wennberg is the same guy who scored 16 goals and only 5 assists in his draft+1 year :laugh::laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Wennberg has been racking up points on the PP. I don't think his play 5 on 5 has been that good in the last few games.

He does have 1C upside, but still a ways to go.

I agree with the bolded but I think we look for different things. Wennberg does a lot to control the game through his positioning and playmaking.

He absolutely has the ability to get 60+ pts per year. He's already got 46 pts in his last 61 games, I don't know why you would limit him to 50.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The best thing we can hope for is either him developing some crazy chemistry with Saad or we have someone like Bjorkstrand or Milano develop into a top tier scorer and Wennberg is the playmaker that allows them to thrive. It's still too early in his career to predict what he's going to cap out at, but I think this year will be a good indicator what to expect from him throughout his career.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg

It depends on how you measure "take over a game."

Are you measuring in points? Because if not, "taking over a game" is pretty subjective. How would you define this quality and who exemplifies it? I think, for example, Wennberg can control play quite well, but he doesn't have the points quite yet. He reminds me a bit of Voracek, actually.

Johansen hasn't really shown an ability to "take over a game" (by my own subjective measure) but most people would consider him a number one center.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

While others are picking apart the comment about "take over a game," there's merit in the rest of this post. Wennberg DOES need to improve his face-off performance. He DOES have the ability to score if he just shoots the puck more often.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
While others are picking apart the comment about "take over a game," there's merit in the rest of this post. Wennberg DOES need to improve his face-off performance. He DOES have the ability to score if he just shoots the puck more often.

I don't disagree that Wennberg has areas to improve on. But the discussion was on Wennberg's ceiling, and under that umbrella a discussion on what makes a 1c is relevant. If someone can't be considered a 1c if they don't "take over a game" then understanding what's meant by that term isn't a minor point of debate. One can't try and predict which level Wennberg will reach if he can't define the parameters separating those levels.

But the reason I quoted what I did, was that someone like Koivu was directly addressed. The implication that someone who is defensively responsible, who can put up 60 points regularly and can win face-offs is still not a number one center because he can't "take over a game" then merits the questioning of the implication of that term. If "taking over a game" is the main point differentiating a high-level 2c from a 1c, then I was just deconstructing the statement to its logical conclusion.

That's not to say that Wennberg doesn't have areas that he needs to improve on, nor is it unreasonable to ask for details about what ostensibly nebulous standards a player has to meet to be a 1c, seeing as someone like Koivu apparently isn't a 1c.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Someone should shuv a cattle prod up his ass to make him play with more of an edge and take charge.

Taking shots will make him a more dangerous player even if he doesn't score, since it will make the goalie/defenceman keep guessing. Now they know that he will pass the puck 99/100 if there's someone semi-open.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Judging by ice time.....Hes clearly Torts buddy this season...get used to him..

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
Last year I was saying Hear me now and Believe me later on Wennberg as I was being torched. I guess we have entered into that second stage. Great players are the ones that are prone to peolple looking for their faults and not their stregnths. Nit pick all you want, Alexander is the most talented offensive player to ever play for this team.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Last year I was saying Hear me now and Believe me later on Wennberg as I was being torched. I guess we have entered into that second stage. Great players are the ones that are prone to peolple looking for their faults and not their stregnths. Nit pick all you want, Alexander is the most talented offensive player to ever play for this team.

I have been extremely impressed with Alexander Wennberg to start this year, but I'm not quite ready to say "he is the most talented offensive player to ever play for this team". Ryan Johansen was pretty damn good a couple years ago too.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Not even close, he needs to. E able to produce at even strength more to even be in that discussion

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Most talented passer? Maybe. But Wenny loses out to prime Nash, Johansen, etc.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm not ready to say he's the most talented player to play in Union Blue, but I think he's in the top 5 or so. And I would defintely say he's in the top 3 for his ability to think the game. As much as I'd like to see him shoot more, I don't think it's necessary for him to take that next step. As long as he's creating chances with his passing and skating he's opening up the ice for all of the other skilled players around him.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
Fun fact:

Since January 1st, 2016

Ryan Johansen - 53 GP, 40 Pts
Alex Wennberg - 52 GP, 40 Pts

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fun fact:

Since January 1st, 2016

Ryan Johansen - 53 GP, 40 Pts
Alex Wennberg - 52 GP, 40 Pts
This just makes me wonder about what might have been if folks had given stronger consideration to the Wennberg-for-Ellis trade proposals I kept making. :eek:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He is off to a good start. Let's hope he keeps building on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad