Alexander Vasyunov and Vyacheslav Voynov

NHLFreak

Aug 5, 2010
2 Kids with nice skill sets. But will it equate into productive NHL careers?

I haven't heard much lately (and especially about Vasyunov) about them.

Can I get an update as to how they are doing? Projections? ETA?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Vasyunov looked good in his 18 games with New Jersey he had 5 points playing 11 minutes a game and most of his games he was under Maclean.

Sadly he is a left wing and New Jersey has Kovalchuk,Parise,Tedenby, and Rolston there so he might not get his chance.

His AHL stats don't stand out but he doesn't play with skilled players in Albany I think he needs a skilled player on his line for him to play good.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I can see Vasyunov getting moved during the offseason. Not because of lack of talent but because he's stached behind some heavy depth at left wing in New Jersey and if he's not playing top 6 minutes, he's not playing in the NHL.

With that said, he wasn't getting alot of ice time on the top 6 in Albany either, so who knows !!!

ChrisG

Jul 25, 2007
See, I thought he played MUCH harder along and the boards and played much better defense than I was expecting when he was up. It wouldn't surprise me to see him as a 3rd line winger in the NHL but he is still buried on our depth chart. That being said I think he could be a decent NHL player.

Can't comment much on Voynov except that last year I wanted the Devils to trade for him

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Vasyunov's two way play has improved immensely because of his time in the Devils' system. As others have said, I don't see him getting a chance in NJ, because the Devils are stacked on the wings, but he could benefit from a change of scenery.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
It's been rumored that Voinov would go back to Russia if he wasn't in the NHL for the last few years and he still hasn't left. I'm not sure if he'll make the NHL next year because with the emergence of Alec Martinez, we've got 6 good quality NHL defenseman. Slava would have to have a great training camp to have any shot of making the team. He definitely has the skill to make the NHL one day but not while we have a pretty set group of D. IMO he's at the top of the list for a callup next year right next to Jake Muzzin. I do expect him to get in a game at some point next year but we'll see.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Voynov needs to impress this next training camp. If he doesn't, then I feel he will be gone. I personally am rooting for Voynov and I am even a fan of Martinez, but I think Voynov's skillset is far superior and he is more of a #3-4 defenseman and Martinez a #5-6. I also really really like Voynov's speed (he even won the fastest skater award for the AHL All-Star skills competition), and I think that is very important for us going forward.

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Voynov needs to impress this next training camp. If he doesn't, then I feel he will be gone. I personally am rooting for Voynov and I am even a fan of Martinez, but I think Voynov's skillset is far superior and he is more of a #3-4 defenseman and Martinez a #5-6. I also really really like Voynov's speed (he even won the fastest skater award for the AHL All-Star skills competition), and I think that is very important for us going forward.

Do you think that a trade is possible/likely?

Is there a part of his game that still really needs work?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Do you think that a trade is possible/likely?

Is there a part of his game that still really needs work?

He's still a bit weak in his own zone. I'm not sure if its his positioning, stick work, strength in front of the net, etc but all I've heard is he isn't strong enough defensively to be in the NHL. I agree with the other Kings poster about rooting for Slava. I want him on the team over Martinez but only if he's competent enough to play in the show. With the absolutely amazing depth we have, a trade really is not out of the question whatsoever. Keep in mind, the Kings still have him, Hickey, Muzzin, Forbort, Deslauriers, and Campbell in the wings. I think Slava has the best offensive upside of them all but I think a guy like Muzzin is more well rounded while Forbort probably has the most overall upside. It's going to be a tough road for Voinov to make it to the NHL but I think he will do it, whether its with the Kings or another team is still to be forseen.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Vasyunov still has a career in the NHL if he wants it. Didn't get a chance under lemaire, who preferred Zharkov for his defensive strengths. I know the organization wanted him to work on his defense this season, which could have affected his offensive numbers in the AHL. He looked decent in his first stint in the NHL.
Having said that, I don't think he fits anywhere in New Jersey, especially with the guys coming back from injury's, and the devils would have to extend him. He isn't in the top 3 young guys on forward (Tedenby, Josefson, Zharkov), meaning no room for him.
Not really sure if the devils would extend him, because if he doesn't fit there is no point in keeping him seeing that he is getting older and a 4th year in the AHL may not be very beneficial for either party. He still owns some serious offensive skills.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
He's still a bit weak in his own zone. I'm not sure if its his positioning, stick work, strength in front of the net, etc but all I've heard is he isn't strong enough defensively to be in the NHL. I agree with the other Kings poster about rooting for Slava. I want him on the team over Martinez but only if he's competent enough to play in the show. With the absolutely amazing depth we have, a trade really is not out of the question whatsoever. Keep in mind, the Kings still have him, Hickey, Muzzin, Forbort, Deslauriers, and Campbell in the wings. I think Slava has the best offensive upside of them all but I think a guy like Muzzin is more well rounded while Forbort probably has the most overall upside. It's going to be a tough road for Voinov to make it to the NHL but I think he will do it, whether its with the Kings or another team is still to be forseen.

He's been compared to Lubo; is this accurate? I still wish the Oilers could have got him instead of Teubert in the Penner trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad