Alexander Steen refuses to meet with media after 1000th game in hometown

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
He reprsents sweden on international level, never played for Winnipeg, so i’d assume he would feel weird being honored by them and then interviewed like a local hero after a loss

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
If the media stopped covering hockey, the diehards would be outraged.

You are right. Just look at how people on this website react to anything ESPN related. ESPN's online hockey coverage has been solid for years and a lot of diehards on HF still hate then because ESPN barely acknowledges hockey on TV. I don't know how the popular opinion on HF can be that ESPN sucks because they don't cover hockey enough but also ALL media is the worst and we'd be better without journalists.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
If losing to Winnipeg in game 53 while your team is a top 5 defending cup champ is too difficult to speak to the media, that sets a very low bar. Kind of shity to say you'd be available then back out, the media does help generate interest and grow the game so players do have a personal benefit in this even if half of them are blood suckers.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Media can eat it. They can be as insensitive as they want with their timing, questions, comments to pretty much any player in their league. But a decade long veteran just doesn't want to have cameras on him after a rough night and it's an 'absolute joke'.

I disagree. While I completely understand why he did it, it’s a part of his job so he needs to just suck it up. The media is there for the fans and the fans are the reason Steen’s grandkids will never have to worry about money a day in their life.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I disagree. While I completely understand why he did it, it’s a part of his job so he needs to just suck it up. The media is there for the fans and the fans are the reason Steen’s grandkids will never have to worry about money a day in their life.
It's actually not part of his job. Each team makes specific players available after games. If you aren't picked to be available you don't have to be. There's zero law / rule that says if the media wants to talk to you, you have to.

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Dick move ? Sure I guess if he said he would before .

exhibit A of media types spending mountains of ink trying to self aggrandize their own importance to any of this ? Also sure .

Life immediately moves on without an Alexander Steen feature piece . But not for the sports reporters . This is an attack on them don’t you see ? They are critically relevant don’t you see ?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it's times like these you realize the media has a lot more power than people assume. this is nothing more than a bunch of mad sportswriters who were a fluff quote or two away from finishing their assignment (and having it written before the game!) and are salty they didn't get to add some soft stuff from steen and call it a night. take to twitter with the faux outrage and now steen has to "address" this. he made a problem for them, they make a problem for him. it's a nothing-burger of a story and we should move on with our lives.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Would have been nice for him to give some comments, but it's understandable that he'd be frustrated after a loss

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

The media is there to drive ratings for their respective networks and earn paycheques for the writers.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I like how upset that mike guy is. Good on Steen if he didn’t feel like it. Wish the media stopped trying to make him look bad cause no one cares

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
There’s not much more pathetic than “sports journalists” acting like their job is more important than providing occasional mild enjoyment to a percentage of a group of people who enjoy watching people play a game.

Reactions: Foppberg and 7even

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
He makes millions of dollars - dealing with the media is unfortunately part of the job. He should’ve sucked it up. Sure he doesn’t deserve to be put on blast... but come on man.

Reactions: dukeofjive

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
It's actually not part of his job. Each team makes specific players available after games. If you aren't picked to be available you don't have to be. There's zero low / rule that says if the media wants to talk to you, you have to.
They said he was one that was picked. We may not like the media but the media is why we watch the game and why players get huge paydays. The players need to understand that if the league had no media coverage the revenue would all but dry up and they would not be living the lives they have. Ask the women who are trying to play pro hockey what it's like with little media attention. Sure people would still go to games but they would have very little revenue with out the media. How hard is it to talk for a few moments. Think about it your sharing your views in a media format right now and are not getting millions of dollars a year. I think the players can take the time for a few moments for the fans to read or hear what they have to say.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They said he was one that was picked. We may not like the media but the media is why we watch the game and why players get huge paydays. The players need to understand that if the league had no media coverage the revenue would all but dry up and they would not be living the lives they have. Ask the women who are trying to play pro hockey what it's like with little media attention. Sure people would still go to games but they would have very little revenue with out the media. How hard is it to talk for a few moments. Think about it your sharing your views in a media format right now and are not getting millions of dollars a year. I think the players can take the time for a few moments for the fans to read or hear what they have to say.

The team said he would be available before the game. After the game, he wasn't, and other players were made available instead.

The Blues, nor Steen, did anything wrong.

This is just typical sports writers trying to claim their lives are hard.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Sports journalists have to be some of the most dramatic people ever. They act like they have some mandate from the gods themselves to get good stories and quotes from players, or that the players have no right to refuse interview. Those dudes need to realize that nobody really cares that much about the standard hockey comments Steen would have shared after the game anyways.

Remember the guy who fought in the trenches to bring you sports journalism?

Reactions: Foppberg and 7even

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Oh? Should Steen thank the media for allowing him to play in the NHL?

I coulda swore it was his talent that did that, maybe the Winnipeg media deserves all the credit though.
Ok ill break it down slowly for ya.
- Media drives excitement and acts as the conduit between players and fans .
- Fans are the ones who support the league, and drive the NHL economy. More fans equals more money.
-Players have an obligation to the media, in turn the fans (especially whn previously committing to said media)
-To not do that is to bite the hand that feeds and reeks of entitlement whn a huge majority of us fans scrape to get by, and use professional sports as a way to escape ‘real life’
Conclusion: show some f’n respect and gratitude, and fulfill your obligations and commitments. You wanted the NHL life and all that comes with it, now act like it.

Reactions: mel
Jul 10, 2010
If the media stopped covering hockey, the diehards would be outraged.
i can guarantee that if the media ignored these media manufactured stories than no diehard would lose sleep.

not saying stop covering stuff like the trade deadline and injuries, but i have no interest in reading cliche after cliche after the report asks how special it was to play game 1000 in their hometown.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There’s not much more pathetic than “sports journalists” acting like their job is more important than providing occasional mild enjoyment to a percentage of a group of people who enjoy watching people play a game.
It's annoying as f***. People don't hate journalists, people hate bad journalists. Like this guy, who thinks he's so important. I'm not that familiar with the media personnel around the NHL, but take F1's Will Buxton for example. That guy does his job better than anyone I've seen at any sport, and as a result he's gained ridiculous love from both F1 fans and F1 drivers. You can see the difference between his interviews and other journalists, he's being respected so much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad