Alexander Semin Part III

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Hoping for another good game for him tonight. I might be one of the few but I still think he can contribute and help this team. I just wish we can see him play with Plekanec before we try to get rid of him.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Hoping for another good game for him tonight. I might be one of the few but I still think he can contribute and help this team. I just wish we can see him play with Plekanec before we try to get rid of him.

For years I wanted us to land this guy and one of the main reasons is that I felt he would be a good fit with Plek. Problem is Patch-Plek-Gallagher has been solid.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

I agree, he can contribute and hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be. I think he's the new whipping boy in Montreal right now. I'd still rather have him playing with Galchenyuk than DSP, Flynn, Byron, etc.. They showed some chemistry but weren't given enough time to really gel together.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
For years I wanted us to land this guy and one of the main reasons is that I felt he would be a good fit with Plek. Problem is Patch-Plek-Gallagher has been solid.

I thought Semin was good last game, quite good, especially for 9 minutes of ice time. When he's on he's still undeniably a dominant possession player.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I feel bad for him, it's like his body can't do anything he used to but his mind can't adjust. Kinda sad how far he fell so fast.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I feel bad for him, it's like his body can't do anything he used to but his mind can't adjust. Kinda sad how far he fell so fast.

This. Sometimes, it looks like he's suffering from some kind of degenerative coordination condition when he flails around with his stick or loses an edge for no apparent reason.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Missed the game... aside from his penalty, how did he play?

I thought he was all right. Made some nice passes had a chance or two. Took a penalty but it was arguably Petry's. One bad-ish turn over when he was trying to get fancy. Otherwise he seem engaged. Looks faster than he did earlier in the season. Definitely doesn't deserve to sit imo.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Missed the game... aside from his penalty, how did he play?

Like a fish out of water. I don't think he fits this group. Every forward in this lineup is capable of pushing the pace, and skating. This is just not semin's style.

Montreal has improved the PP and in scoring goals in general. These are things that Semin was brought in for, but they haven't needed him.

Combine it all together and you have a highly expendable player.

tresHabs

Oct 22, 2015
I thought he looked alright, he missed his queue on a pretty obvious drop pass play. Finds a few chances each game, just hasn't been able to finish one yet

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
He took a bad penalty, which is somethings he should avoid. I didn't analyse the penalty but it looks like a quasi-dive. If it wasn't a dive, it was a complete accident. All I know is that the call against Semin seemed real charitable to the Islanders.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If he was in his prime he would have scored a goal but these days are long past. He looks good on the fourth line, and even then it should be easy for him to do so. If he was playing with Pacioretty and Desharnais he could be PPG but it would jeopardize the balance.

HFranky

Jan 8, 2009
I think we should give him a try with Pacioretty and Plekanec. They are two veteran players accomplished at their position (unlike Galchenyuk and Eller).

If it doesn't work, we'll be able to say it didn't work with him.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I don't think that Semin is lazy or unmotivated, I think he's just done. Not sure at this point if putting him on the first line is a good idea especially with Pacioretty not being able to carry that line until he is 100%.

I like Semin on the 4th but when everybody comes back Semin's days are numbered especially if one of Ghetto or Holloway can stick.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Even if he doesn't deserve a top-6 spot, I really think he should be on the starting roster. He is still a threat on the ice, and with his cap hit having him in the bottom-6 doesn't hurt us at all.

With Gally out, I suspect he will slot up on the 1st or "2nd" line.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

I hope you aren't going to say he played poorly against the Isles because he didn't. He wasn't dominant but he was involved and played both ends of the ice.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
He played ok, better than the first two games after his exile. Didn't really deserve that penalty and didn't deserve to get benched the rest of the game. If DSP is ready for Wednesday, I wouldn't be surprised if Holloway is in the lineup instead of him.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Even if he doesn't deserve a top-6 spot, I really think he should be on the starting roster. He is still a threat on the ice, and with his cap hit having him in the bottom-6 doesn't hurt us at all.

With Gally out, I suspect he will slot up on the 1st or "2nd" line.
A threat for what?? To get a dumb penalty I'll give you that.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yes play him with plek and pac. Those two are good defensively. And anything else semin does is a bonus

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I don't think that Semin is lazy or unmotivated, I think he's just done. Not sure at this point if putting him on the first line is a good idea especially with Pacioretty not being able to carry that line until he is 100%.

I like Semin on the 4th but when everybody comes back Semin's days are numbered especially if one of Ghetto or Holloway can stick.

Agreed. I think people who still hope to "unlock" the old Semin by just putting him with the right guys or in the right situation are kidding themselves. I do believe he's trying his best out there, but his best just isn't very good anymore. WYSIWYG.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Yes play him with plek and pac. Those two are good defensively. And anything else semin does is a bonus

Pacioretty and Plekanec are not playing well. Gallagher was carrying that line by sheer force of will. Will be interesting to see who MT plugs in at that RW spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad