Player Discussion Alexander Radulov part 5 -- the final edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Radulov asking for 7M is fair.
He will never get it as a UFA.

But he is dealing with a city where he is very popular.

Look at UFA market last year: Lucic, Okposo, Eriksson all got 6M X 6.
This is the best Markov will get.
The fact that he scored only 18G will also decrease his value.

Shipachev got 4.5 X 2 after a 76 points season.
LV also have the rights to Gusev.
Maybe Gusev is waiting to see how much Radulov will get.

Remember that Radulov will always go for the money.
It is the reason why he went to Russia the first time around.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
So what haven't we covered yet? :laugh:

His divorce.

Can Radulov sustain the burden of the emotional crutch he must be going through right now into the regular season?

Will his demons come back and haunt him?

Will he be Radulove

or...

Raduhate

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It would really suck to lose Radulov but if he doesn't come off his demand for 7 years I won't blame MB for walking away. 5 years is the max term @ 6.5M AAV is the highest I'd want to see him signed for. The only way I'd go to 7M AAV is if he went for 4 years instead of 5.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Actually Radulov refused more term, hence more garanteed money from Detroit to come to Montreal instead.

So you can shove that pet theory of yours right up where the sun don't shine.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It would really suck to lose Radulov but if he doesn't come off his demand for 7 years I won't blame MB for walking away. 5 years is the max term @ 6.5M AAV is the highest I'd want to see him signed for. The only way I'd go to 7M AAV is if he went for 4 years instead of 5.

The rumor was NEVER 7 years. Stop saying that. It was twisted by people with attention deficit disorder here around the board because they can't remember details like 7MIL per for 6 YEARS, which is one mil over all the big UFAs had last years, with the same term, and Radu is better than any of them (Lucic, Boedker, Okposo, Ladd).

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Honest question:
Would Habs fans rather have Drouin at $5.5 mil x 6 yrs or Radulov at $7 mil x 6 yrs and still have Sergeychev?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

I don't remember that.. oh it's because it's not true.. your opinion is not a fact.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Honest question:
Would Habs fans rather have Drouin at $5.5 mil x 6 yrs or Radulov at $7 mil x 6 yrs and still have Sergeychev?

Wouldn't have Drouin if not for trading Sergachev, so what's the point of this exercise? The team needs guys who can score right now, so the real answer is that right now, the Habs need both Radulov and Drouin more than they need one of those guys and Sergachev.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Honest question:

All of the above. But seriously, I'd take Rad and Serge for the simple reason that Sergachev is too intriguing a prospect to not wait and see what he becomes. Radulov is so damn good at protecting the puck, too. This team needs that.

Drouin will be fun to watch for sure, I'm just hoping we don't have to watch Sergachev own him and the Habs for the next decade.

The question should be, could we have acquired Drouin using assets other than Sergachev and sign Radulov, keeping all three?

MB won't let us have nice things.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Honest question:

Correct answer is both JD and Radu, but given the choices I'll take the latter.

Drouin and Radu should be comparably good players over the next 3-4 years at least. Probable edge to Drouin given his age and possibility of upside. But they ought to be close.

But to borrow the way it's done on the trade board,

Sergachev >>>>>>>>> No Sergachev.

If Radu isn't resigned or properly replaced (i.e. no Bergy garbage about how we expect Shawzie to step up into a top 6 role etc.) then this is a sideways move that cost the team's best (by a country mile) prospect.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Obviously, but thats not the full equation. If Rads walks they fill his spot and spend that cap. So it's Drouin plus another 5mm forward or dman.

But if they don't make the trade, that move is still there. I don't know who you'd have in mind as the 5M forward or D, but for argument let's say Justin Williams.

Don't trade for Drouin, you can still sign Williams, so the calculus remains

Radu + Serg + JW > Drouin + JW.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Obviously, but thats not the full equation. If Rads walks they fill his spot and spend that cap. So it's Drouin plus another 5mm forward or dman.

Radulov is the best UFA forward this year. If he walks we get worse by default.

If MB can't sign him it's more like we'd have traded Sergachev and Radulov for Drouin. Then we have to go out and try to replace Radulov with a worse player. Either through trade or UFA, neither of which is guaranteed.

Radulov needs to be signed. Period.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Honest question:

Don't see why we can't have both Drouin/Radulov and not have Plekanec/Shaw. Guess it's a case of Habs can't be offensively potent.

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Byron - Shaw - Lehkonen
Hudon - Mitchell - McCarron
DLR/Martinsen

Kulikov/Smith - Weber
Del Zotto - Petry
Schlemko - Benn
Davidson

Price

Rather give Danault top 6 than Hanzal. If we can trade Shaw for a LD, I'd love to see:

Byron - Hanzal - Lehkonen
DLR/Martinsen

(Kulikov/Smith/Del Zotto)- Weber
(return for Shaw+) - Petry
Schlemko - Benn
Davidson

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

5 years is also too much at that age imo, please sign him till he's 35 max...so 4 years.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Actually Radulov refused more term, hence more garanteed money from Detroit to come to Montreal instead.

So you can shove that pet theory of yours right up where the sun don't shine.

Let's shed some light where there ain't none shall we....

In hindsight, the reason why he came to MTL is to be questioned. For example, did he choose MTL because Madame Radulov accepted this location as a compromise? Maybe she didn't want to come in the first place hence the divorce.

Now, looking back at Radulov's history, now that he is a bachelor, one has to ask himself if he won't turn to the darkside again. Due remember the questioning of his character when MB signed him in the first place. Radulov did state that being a family man had changed him, he had matured. The family would now be some 12h away.

Radulov has also demonstrated favoring the money over anything else. Apparently a divorce can be costly.

So it is quite understandable to offer Radulov a short-term contract because of the uncertainty.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Byron - Hanzal - Lehkonen
DLR/Martinsen

Me like. But Plekanec and Shaw won't be easy to deal. You'll have a better chance of dealing Gallagher and Byron.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
How often , soon to become UFA players, end up signing with their former team between June 25th and July 1st ?

I don't pretend to know the answer but I would be tempted to guess that it's pretty rare.

I think Radu is gone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad