Visit site
Don't tell me that this dance doesn't still crack you up

alexdance.gif

He promises to provide victory too

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
**** yeah bro, I loved Alex Wright's pick me blurbs in WCW Thunder and WCW Nitro. I just downloaded a PSX emulator to play those the other day. Nitro is awesome for being able to fight with the snowman.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As a big fan of WCW's midcard and undercard I enjoyed Alex Wright very much. Quite good in the ring and being a German pretty boy is a natural heat magnet. He was also ridiculously young when he started in WCW, so he was only 26 during the invasion angle. It's disappointing that he never came to WWE.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Never cared for him, but didn't hate him. I remember when he turned into Berlin, but can't remember what was done w/that gimmick. I don't think it went over too well?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember watching Nitro and a fan had a sign that said,

"I paid to see Alex Write dance" that always cracked me up.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
As a big fan of WCW's midcard and undercard I enjoyed Alex Wright very much. Quite good in the ring and being a German pretty boy is a natural heat magnet. He was also ridiculously young when he started in WCW, so he was only 26 during the invasion angle. It's disappointing that he never came to WWE.

No doubt, Alex Wright could go in the ring.

WWE actually contacted Wright a couple times but he rejected. Even though he was young, he was already worn out and decided to stay away.

You have to wonder what McMahon could have done with this guy. WCW was not an environment made for him to succeed.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

WWE actually contacted Wright a couple times but he rejected. Even though he was young, he was already worn out and decided to stay away.

You have to wonder what McMahon could have done with this guy. WCW was not an environment made for him to succeed.

Probably the original Fandango. I was a fan of WCW Saturday Night, and Wright was a regular there and was usually one of the best parts of the show. In WWE I can pretty much only see him being used as a comedic performer, but he could have done that well and it is more an indictment of their talent usage than Wright's abilities.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
I clicked on this thread yesterday as I thought it might be a funny read.

I did not click the video to play it.

Today when I went to YouTube all my top suggested videos were of Alex...

Anyway, I was young when I watched him and he always made me laugh. Wrestling is missing guys like this

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I clicked on this thread yesterday as I thought it might be a funny read.

I did not click the video to play it.

Today when I went to YouTube all my top suggested videos were of Alex...

Anyway, I was young when I watched him and he always made me laugh. Wrestling is missing guys like this

:laugh: You're Welcome

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Would have had a match with Cena over the true master of the STF.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I laughed out loud when I saw this thread title when checking in the other day. Classic example of a guy who just ran into political minefields in WCW and couldn't overcome it all.

As for the Berlyn thing: that should have worked. But, you know....WCW. Loved those vignettes and all.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
"Achtung! Achtung! Hier ist Alex Wright. You stupid people..." :laugh:

Some of the best of WCW right here:

Hall's reaction to Ralphus and Jericho is gold. Too bad they weren't still down there when Alex Wright walked by.

I laughed out loud when I saw this thread title when checking in the other day. Classic example of a guy who just ran into political minefields in WCW and couldn't overcome it all.

As for the Berlyn thing: that should have worked. But, you know....WCW. Loved those vignettes and all.

Well I'm not sure it was "political minefields" entirely as they had a big roster and Wright probably was never going to be a much higher tier.

As for the Berlyn guise, it was alright. I dont think they needed to reboot him though. Just keep him a heel and give him a belt run at some level. I thought the TV Title was good for a guy like him, but I don't remember how long he held it.

I loved Alex Wright though. He made you laugh, had arguably the best entrance music ever :amazed: and could work.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hard to believe that Ric Flair pushed hard for Wright to be part of the new Four Horsemen group in 1995. :amazed:

from the August 19th 1995 edition of the PWtorch newsletter:

There are several ideas for the fourth Horsemen. Paul Orndorff wants to be the fourth Horseman and he's a member of the booking committee. Flair wants Alex Wright to be the fourth Horsemen because he's a big fan of Wright and wants youth on the team. There is also a belief that it would be perfect use of Steve Austin to make him the fourth Horseman. If the Lex Luger speculation turns out to be true, he could even end up being the fourth Horseman. That would give the Horsemen some instant credibility in terms of having a threat to Hogan for down the line.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Hard to believe that Ric Flair pushed hard for Wright to be part of the new Four Horsemen group in 1995. :amazed:

There are several ideas for the fourth Horsemen. Paul Orndorff wants to be the fourth Horseman and he's a member of the booking committee. Flair wants Alex Wright to be the fourth Horsemen because he's a big fan of Wright and wants youth on the team. There is also a belief that it would be perfect use of Steve Austin to make him the fourth Horseman. If the Lex Luger speculation turns out to be true, he could even end up being the fourth Horseman. That would give the Horsemen some instant credibility in terms of having a threat to Hogan for down the line.

Interesting as I've never heard any of that. When Malenko joined I did hear that it was potentially going to be Eddie Guerrero.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

This situation reminds of Randy Orton in Evolution. Wright could have been that guy in Horseman faction.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This situation reminds of Randy Orton in Evolution. Wright could have been that guy in Horseman faction.

I don't see it working. He's German and while I have nothing wrong with that (my family is of German heritage and love the language, etc) it just doesn't fit the Horseman if you ask me.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't see it working. He's German and while I have nothing wrong with that (my family is of German heritage and love the language, etc) it just doesn't fit the Horseman if you ask me.

True, he was no Mongo McMichael.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
True, he was no Mongo McMichael.

:laugh: Well I didn't like Mongo in the Horseman anyway. I actually think Hennig would have been great. While the heel turn worked to a degree, the NWO needed another member like a hole in the head and quite frankly it pushed him down the ladder if you ask me. I read he liked being in the NWO (Lord knows why), but a more powerful Horseman faction actually standing up to the NWO would have been more credible.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
:laugh: Well I didn't like Mongo in the Horseman anyway. I actually think Hennig would have been great. While the heel turn worked to a degree, the NWO needed another member like a hole in the head and quite frankly it pushed him down the ladder if you ask me. I read he liked being in the NWO (Lord knows why), but a more powerful Horseman faction actually standing up to the NWO would have been more credible.

It's a reasonable option, and you could eventually even work in a somewhat appropriate angle of Flair passing the torch to Hennig at some point as a credible wrestler, but I'm not sure how well Hennig could still go when he was in WCW. A healthy Hennig would be a perfect fit in the horsemen. The only other issue with this proposal is that we wouldn't get the West Texas Rednecks, and that would be a crime.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It's a reasonable option, and you could eventually even work in a somewhat appropriate angle of Flair passing the torch to Hennig at some point as a credible wrestler, but I'm not sure how well Hennig could still go when he was in WCW. A healthy Hennig would be a perfect fit in the horsemen. The only other issue with this proposal is that we wouldn't get the West Texas Rednecks, and that would be a crime.

I don't recall if Hennig could still bring it, but I do think the Perfect Plex was still going strong.

West Texas Rednecks? Forgot about them. No thanks. There's a reason they lasted all of less than a year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't recall if Hennig could still bring it, but I do think the Perfect Plex was still going strong.

West Texas Rednecks? Forgot about them. No thanks. There's a reason they lasted all of less than a year.

Now now, the West Texas Rednecks took a ridiculous gimmick and still managed to get it quite over. Part of that is a function of geography of course, but credit to them. Bonus points for giving us one of wrestling's finest music videos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad