Value of: Alex Tuch

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Is there a world where Vegas considers trading Tuch? With how amazing their top two lines are maybe trading him could be option to solidify an area of need or ease the cap situation?

I understand he's on an amazing contract and an awesome asset to have on the 3rd line, but Im interested in his hypothetical value. He would be such an incredible fit next to Toews here in Chicago, but all we could offer are picks and prospects.

Is he completely off the table or could the right trade be found?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Is there a world where Vegas considers trading Tuch? With how amazing their top two lines are maybe trading him could be option to solidify an area of need or ease the cap situation?

I understand he's on an amazing contract and an awesome asset to have on the 3rd line, but Im interested in his hypothetical value. He would be such an incredible fit next to Toews here in Chicago, but all we could offer are picks and prospects.

Is he completely off the table or could the right trade be found?

Honestly I feel like Im taking crazy pills when I keep hearing people say this. I dont f***ing get it. :dunno:

Its okay, maybe even slightly better than average, but thats as far as anyone should go imo.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
For a team in a cap crunch it would be pretty dumb to trade a steal of a contract like that. Maybe if they can get a defenceman of similar age on a great long term contract, but not many of those around.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am going to say this — and argument CAN be made — that players the size Tuch is in general struggle pretty much in this league, and Tuch have certainly for stretches been an example of this himself. It’s a skating mans game, 95% of all NHL forwards at 6’4 will need help to stay on top of the pace.

Bigger forwards are also more injury prone than smaller forwards (source: I am man-guessing ;)).

In the end odds are that you would get a 40-50 pts forward. And de facto 30-40 pts most years because he is bound to miss a lot of time.

I know the above will draw a lot of anger reactions, and I am not saying that some of them would not be warranted. But, I also don’t think the above reasoning has any substantial flaws either.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I am going to say this — and argument CAN be made — that players the size Tuch is in general struggle pretty much in this league, and Tuch have certainly for stretches been an example of this himself. It’s a skating mans game, 95% of all NHL forwards at 6’4 will need help to stay on top of the pace.

Bigger forwards are also more injury prone than smaller forwards (source: I am man-guessing ;)).

In the end odds are that you would get a 40-50 pts forward. And de facto 30-40 pts most years because he is bound to miss a lot of time.

I know the above will draw a lot of anger reactions, and I am not saying that some of them would not be warranted. But, I also don’t think the above reasoning has any substantial flaws either.

I've always found Tuch a better than average skater for his size. Combined with what else he brings to the table I disagree with most of your post. And yes, bargain contract.

Not sure where you are getting this "big guy get hurt" notion. Jagr, Thornton, Staal, and many others disagree.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've always found Tuch a better than average skater for his size. Combined with what else he brings to the table I disagree with most of your post. And yes, bargain contract.

Not sure where you are getting this "big guy get hurt" notion. Jagr, Thornton, Staal, and many others disagree.

All PFs seem to miss their fair share of games...

I was looking back at Buttons top prospects outside the NHL ranking over a few years. It’s really striking how high everyone always are about the big guys with size, then like in the mid 20s comes someone like Mat Barzal. Not because anyone think he is a worse player than those with “great” size, no just because it’s seen as such an amazing advantage to be big. Guys like Joel Eriksson-Ek is so high, the Barzal types are low.

I just don’t think that is reflective at all of what really pays of in this league right now. It seems like so often when someone does really really well, it’s the 5’11 give or take forward. JMHO.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

He's one of the fastest skaters on the team :rolleyes:

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's one of the fastest skaters on the team :rolleyes:

Yeah, but there are different kind of fast. I don’t know who I bet on in a race around the rink, Jason Chimera or Pat Kane. But one certainly plays the game a lot faster than the other.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I suggested VGK trade Tuch in another thread & I agree with your reasoning, going for it now, he'd be a great trade chip for a good #3D ? or maybe a low end #2D? +/- to even it out. D is the only true "hole" in their lineup & come playoff time it'll get exposed even more.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Ristolainen?

Ristolainen and a cheap replacement FW that will be under team control for a while (to make up for Tuch's 7 yr deal), for Tuch and a LHD that Anaheim doesn't really need and can balance out the cap somewhat.

Ristolainen
Rodrigues

for

Tuch
Holden or Merrill (Reaves instead if Vegas would rather get rid of him)

Not sure if that fits Vegas' needs.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Very unlikely. That contract will only get better and its already a steal. Last season he started to put it all together but he has all the tools and i would not be surprised if he can produce at ppg pace in his prime.

Yes they need defensemen going forward but not at the expense of Tuch at 4,75m for the next 7 years.

Reactions: Pia8988

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
So that's one tuch and one no tuch.
And by that I mean, no, they wont be trading him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Trading Tuch would not make sense.

He's a big bodied top 6 forward who is signed to an amazing cap hit for the next 7 years. Unless we see a Hall for Larsson type situation, there's nothing realistic they could be offered that would have more value than Tuch at 4.75M.

If he wasn't signed to that contract, it might make sense. He'd have positioned himself for a big raise after a bridge deal, and they are tight to the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad