Waived: Alex Sulzer (CLEARED)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'd rather see Risto start the year with Tallinder. Tallinder can cover for him with his speed and positional play. I know Weber is a solid presence as well, but I'd rather have some speed with Risto.

haven't watched too much preseason action, but word on the street is that Hank's lost a couple of steps

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Sulzer
Bagnall
Ellis
Zigomanis
Tardif
Gillies (exempt)

Am I missing any vets down there?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Lot's of D in Sulzer's position.

Don't think he will get claimed.

Some of the UFA's signed for around 6-7 hundred K and waived this weekend:

Brennan (Tor)
Sulzer (Buf)
Schultz (LA)
Pardy (Win)

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Lot's of D in Sulzer's position:

Don't think he will get claimed.

Some of the UFA's signed for around 6-7 hundred K and waived this weekend:

Brennan (Tor)
Sulzer (Buf)
Schultz (LA)
Pardy (Win)

At one point with injuries, three of those four might have made up 50% of the Sabres D-core. And now they're all on waivers.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
haven't watched too much preseason action, but word on the street is that Hank's lost a couple of steps

I thought he looked faster than I would have expected. In particular, I recall a play in the first home pre-season game where Risto was losing a footrace and Hank passed him and caught up to the Canes player to break up the play. Who knows if he can keep it up for much of the season.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Tallinder will be in the opening night lineup on defense, but I really would like to see them expose him to waivers now so that he can be sent down later in the year if he loses his spot. If Zadorov gets a shot here when he's healthy and/or if McNabb plays himself into the NHL, Tallinder could lose his spot as one of the top 7 defensemen here. I'd be willing to bet anything that Tallinder would go unclaimed, and this would give Darcy more flexibility later in the year.

And about Sulzer, I highly doubt he gets claimed with the glut of similar defensemen on waivers right now. It'll be nice to have another veteran defensemen down in Rochester.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Tallinder will be in the opening night lineup on defense, but I really would like to see them expose him to waivers now so that he can be sent down later in the year if he loses his spot. If Zadorov gets a shot here when he's healthy and/or if McNabb plays himself into the NHL, Tallinder could lose his spot as one of the top 7 defensemen here. I'd be willing to bet anything that Tallinder would go unclaimed, and this would give Darcy more flexibility later in the year.

That wouldn't really work. Supposing that they waived Tallinder, he cleared, and they kept him on the roster, if he spent 30 days on the roster or played in 10 NHL games, he'd have to be waived again to be sent down

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Was to be expected and I don't see anyone claiming him either... Puts Rochester in a pretty good position now with lots of veterans and a couple of prospects who are very far in their development (McNabb, Hackett, Ruhwedel etc).

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
This was the right decision. Sulzer doesn't offer much of anything, even as a depth defenseman, over what we already have.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sulzer should give the Amerks a stabilizing offensive presence from the back end too, given how he produced for the Admirals.

I like having him as the vet option in recall. Not a surprise to see him sent down, ultimately, and it gives them a good option in the 8-9 hole for recall work.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Sulzer should give the Amerks a stabilizing offensive presence from the back end too, given how he produced for the Admirals.

I like having him as the vet option in recall. Not a surprise to see him sent down, ultimately, and it gives them a good option in the 8-9 hole for recall work.

Just hope he clears. The Amerks have had some real bad luck with waivers over the years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just hope he clears. The Amerks have had some real bad luck with waivers over the years.

True. We'll know soon. :D

The upside is there are plenty of similar guys out there and there are few teams who can afford much of anything cap-wise. Those things should insulate him from being plucked. Should. *fingers crossed*

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Happy about this. You don't need two 7th d man just sitting in the PB when you have a guy like McNabb who can come up and fit right in. I think it is still interesting with Zadarov. I think he is getting a bigger look than many of us feel.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Glad he went through. A glut of similar players and not much league-wide cap space probably dampened the waiver market more than normal, though Yzerman was supposedly actively looking for help.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think this was a no brainer. I'm glad that some logic has taken hold here. Give the spots to some younger bodies and assess what we need to do this time next year.

Most of this offseason has gone exactly how I'd have hoped. Now give me a team that's fun to watch, tough to play against, competitive nightly, and cohesive, and I'm happy - even with playoffs missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad