Waived: Alex Sulzer (CLEARED)

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Hmm..teams know he can be a reliable #6-7, but no one really knows how he'll play after his knee injury.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
No shock here. Hopefully he clears. I still like him as a depth option, and he would probably be a solid vet for the Amerks.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
darth-vader-no.jpg

But in all seriousness, Sulzer was the obvious man out by a long shot imo. He should clear waivers, which would help Rochester and leave us a veteran call-up possibility if the crap hits the fan later in the season. If he doesn't clear, then it's no loss with McNabb and Ruhwedel at the very least as viable call-ups.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Positive sign of direction of club -- he's now not good enough to make team. I'd lie to keep him for depth in Rochester too

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I still say they should do the same for Tallinder if only for somebody's 9 game tryout. Only 7 teams can afford his salary at this time if they were to claim him off waivers.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I still say they should do the same for Tallinder if only for somebody's 9 game tryout. Only 7 teams can afford his salary at this time if they were to claim him off waivers.

Considering the trade for him was basically a waiver claim, wouldn't be surprising if Tallinder cleared.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC

No chance they waive Tallinder, and there's also no chance they play 3 rookie D at the same time (Risto, Psysk, Zadorov). I'd think a half rookie D core has never happened in the NHL, but then again, stranger things have happened.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
No chance they waive Tallinder, and there's also no chance they play 3 rookie D at the same time (Risto, Psysk, Zadorov). I'd think a half rookie D core has never happened in the NHL, but then again, stranger things have happened.

I agree. You can break 1 or 2 rookie D in the NHL at the same time, any more than that is crazy.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Regier seemed to indicate that he wanted Vet D depth. Mentioned a 2-way contract for Pardy was an option. (Pardy wanted a better chance but was waived by the Jets today).

Darcy also gave Sulzer the chance to test free agency to see if there was something better out there. Probably told him that you can still come back and accept our one-way deal, but we can't guarantee that you will be with the big club.

Sulzer is probably not thrilled, but probably not surprised and will be professional and provide an ample vet D presence for Amerks, and depth for Buffalo.

As stated by others here, don't think Sulzer will be claimed. All the other teams had a chance to sign him in July.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
With Zads on IR, waiving Sulzer means 14 forwards. So two of Girgs, Flynn and Larsson are staying. That would be a heck of a kid line. If only Grigs could be sent down.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
With Zads on IR, waiving Sulzer means 14 forwards. So two of Girgs, Flynn and Larsson are staying. That would be a heck of a kid line. If only Grigs could be sent down.

Hopefully it's Flynn or Girgs. I would like to see Girgs develop an offensive game before getting called up, but I also believe he could still develop that up in the bigs. It's risky, though. Larsson has deserved his shot, imo. It'd be a shame seeing him sent down, but I think he'll play his way onto the roster regardless when injuries hit.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Yup, that's definitely our d-core.

Forwards are a bit different story though.

I'd rather see Risto start the year with Tallinder. Tallinder can cover for him with his speed and positional play. I know Weber is a solid presence as well, but I'd rather have some speed with Risto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad