• Bottom 6 Role Player

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Playing in Shanghai

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Currently 100% votes for 2nd line winger. Du jamais vu in HFHabs land.

Reactions: StCaufield

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Currently 100% votes for 2nd line winger. Du jamais vu in HFHabs land.
I mean , on our roster? Him not being able to take a second line wing spot is an indictment on the young man unfortunately , we freaking suck, If he can't beat out Hoffman Gallagher Armia Harvey Pinard or slaf for that spot it would be pretty disappointing.

I see anderson Caufield and Dach playing wing in the top 6 for sure , if dach plays C it opens up another spot for newhook to get decent winger minutes

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean , on our roster? Him not being able to take a second line wing spot is an indictment on the young man unfortunately , we freaking suck, If he can't beat out Hoffman Gallagher Armia Harvey Pinard or slaf for that spot it would be pretty disappointing.

I see anderson Caufield and Dach playing wing in the top 6 for sure , if dach plays C it opens up another spot for newhook to get decent winger minutes

Dach will play C. The organization is all in on him at center.

If they got PLD, PLD was going to W over Dach.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
If he can run away with that future 2nd line LW position, I think we'll all be doing a happy dance. Another way of looking at the trade was Hughes gave up a 2nd to get a player 4 years older/better positioned for the core moving forward

Reactions: themilosh

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How about 3rd line winger?

I see him there, taking some of the faceoffs but mainly playing at the wing

I dunno but if he's on our top6 in 3 years from now, we failed somewhere unless he explodes to a near ppg player which I doubt

PS: I dont mind another poll, bring it on peeps, we bored lol

Since when is being ppg the requirement to be a top 6 player?

Reactions: bcv

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He won't be our best player but he'll be one of our most important in giving our C's a strong LW option. I think he has an outside chance of being a solid 1st liner but he'll probably be ideal on the 2nd. His addition to our powerplay will be interesting too as his speed will help for entries and his shot could keep PKers honest and open up Caufield more

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I voted second line winger. Figure he will average 25 goals, 60 points. Natural left shot with speed, they usually good on the forecheck.

Could be 3rd line center on good team though. Where he has speed, hands and good on forecheck.. gives Canadiens that option years down the road

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I voted second line winger. Figure he will average 25 goals, 60 points. Natural left shot with speed, they usually good on the forecheck.

Could be 3rd line center on good team though. Where he has speed, hands and good on forecheck.. gives Canadiens that option years down the road

I’d say 25g / 60pt is pretty close to his peak. Keep him mind that’s close to what Suzuki has produced the last two seasons.

2nd line winger. 20-25g / 50-60pt guy is where I see him if he reaches his ceiling.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
2nd line with Dach

Healthy line up :

Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
Newhook - Dach - Monahan
Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Gallagher
Hoffman - Evans - Armia

I would gladly give away the bolded players for free to make space for RHP,Heinemen and Ylonen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What is the most probably projection of Alex Newhook by the time he's in the last year of his contract?
2nd or 3rd line winger is the hope.

2nd line with Dach

Healthy line up :

Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
Newhook - Dach - Monahan
Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Gallagher
Hoffman - Evans - Armia

I would gladly give away the bolded players for free to make space for RHP,Heinemen and Ylonen

To me it's really an easy solution:

- Hoffman and Armia to Laval
- Gallagher to the 4th line
- RHP on the 3rd line
- Ylonen on the 4th line

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
i dunno if he's a winger. when he made the jump to the NCAA, he started at wing and struggled mightily. took off the moment he got switched to C

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Voted 2nd line winger insofar as Newhook should in all likelyhood make his Montreal debut on Dach’s line, namely behind the Suzuki-Caufield duo, but over the Monahan-Slafkovki / Dvorak-Gallagher ones, TOI-wise.

On a longer term perspective, I doubt Newhook rises to first liner status, but I could definitely see him finding a niche as a talented middle-6 winger (and occasional C); either here in Montreal - or elsewhere following a trade in which he’s packaged for a better forward.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Meh. Come talk to me when this reaches the heights of the Ryan White thread.
White the Legend with that slewfoot for the ages.

ut1WtGC.gif

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
i voted 2nd line winger, but i'm cautiously optimistic that he will seize the opportunity in front of him over the next 1-2 seasons and make a big jump into a top-line caliber contributor (i.e 60+ points) wether that is playing on the top-line or on the second line.

while he wasn't able to breakthrough with the Avs, being a part of that group and working daily with Mackinnon, Makar & co. gave him front row seats to what excellence at the NHL level looks like daily... and for a sponge with a great work ethic, that's a good recipe for future success.

I see him as a great fit with Dach and if the two of them can find chemistry in camp with either Anderson or Slaf flanking them, it could be one heck of a line that would represent match-up difficulties for anyone, let alone opposing teams 2nd/3rd pairing D's (assuming CC & Nick attract the primary match-up defenders).

Future is Bright 😎

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
2nd line winger would be par. Definitely think there is pretty big upside here though. A 70ish point winger is definitely in the wheelhouse.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think it all depends on how St-Louis hands out minutes to his top-9. If they are pretty evenly split, even with a little more to Suzuki's line, Newhook could benefit both from being a 3rd line or a 2nd line winger.

It really depends on the quality of his line mates?

I think we see him playing RW this upcoming season, personally, angling to maximize his speed and shot as main offensive qualities.

He'll likely be Dach's scoring option, like Caufield is Suzuki's scoring option.

Who plays with whom to complement the lines, though.

I see a third line potentially being RHP - DvoraK - Anderson, because of the chemistry displayed by RHP and Anderson when playing together to round out the year.

That leaves:

Monahan - Suzuki - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Dach - Newhook
RHP - Dvorak - Anderson
Hoffman - Evans/Lias Andersson - Gallagher

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He’s going to need a lot of work on his passing, if he can somehow become a better passer with his speed and work on his shiftiness, 2nd line yeah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad