Recalled/Assigned: Alex Nedeljkovic

PayPay

Apr 29, 2019
Greenville, NC
What is the likelihood of this guy sticking once Mrazek comes back and the Canes keep 3 Goalies. I ask this just in case of another injury in future games to Mrazek and then McElhinney comes in only to be backed up by an emergency goalie like the last time. Does it make sense to keep 3 Goalies in the playoffs?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
What is the likelihood of this guy sticking once Mrazek comes back and the Canes keep 3 Goalies. I ask this just in case of another injury in future games to Mrazek and then McElhinney comes in only to be backed up by an emergency goalie like the last time. Does it make sense to keep 3 Goalies in the playoffs?

Nope, he will return back to Charlotte for round 2 of the Calder

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
No reason to keep around 3 goalies. Can only dress 2 goalies a game. Then there's a designated emergency backup in every arena I believe for both teams in case both of your goalies get hurt.

I should clarify though, if we somehow outlast the Checkers in the playoffs, Ned could come back and be part of the black aces squad.

PayPay

Apr 29, 2019
Greenville, NC
No reason to keep around 3 goalies. Can only dress 2 goalies a game. Then there's a designated emergency backup in every arena I believe for both teams in case both of your goalies get hurt.
That is what they would have called on if McElhinney got hurt the other night? So even if they did carry 3 Goalies they couldn't dress all 3 and would still have to use an emergency goalie if both regular goalies got hurt?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That is what they would have called on if McElhinney got hurt the other night? So even if they did carry 3 Goalies they couldn't dress all 3 and would still have to use an emergency goalie if both regular goalies got hurt?
I'm not sure about being allowed to dress 3 goalies to be honest. I doubt it would ever happen even if allowed. Just doesn't make much sense to give up an extra skater to have an extra goalie dressed in the very, very small likelihood both of your goalies get injured in the same game.

The guy who backed up McElhinney was the designated emergency backup. I believe the home team is responsible for providing one for both teams but I'm not 100% sure.

Reactions: PayPay

PayPay

Apr 29, 2019
Greenville, NC
I'm not sure about being allowed to dress 3 goalies to be honest. I doubt it would ever happen even if allowed. Just doesn't make much sense to give up an extra skater to have an extra goalie dressed in the very, very small likelihood both of your goalies get injured in the same game.

The guy who backed up McElhinney was the designated emergency backup. I believe the home team is responsible for providing one for both teams but I'm not 100% sure.
That is interesting, so the emergency goalie could if called upon play for either team. It would be crazy if it was a hometown guy and fan of the hometown team and he ended up having to play for the visiting team. I imaging this doesn't happen too often though?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That is interesting, so the emergency goalie could if called upon play for either team. It would be crazy if it was a hometown guy and fan of the hometown team and he ended up having to play for the visiting team. I imaging this doesn't happen too often though?
If you're using an emergency backup, you've got bigger problems to worry about than a hometown fan playing for you. Even if he tried his hardest, he's probably not going to be very good.

Jorge Alves, our assistant equipment manager, played a few seconds in a game for us a few years ago.

The most notable emergency backup having to play happened last year when Scott Foster had to replace Chicago's 3rd string goalie. He played most of the 3rd period, made several saves and didn't allow a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad