Confirmed with Link: Alex Nedeljkovic signed to ELC - 3 years/two-way deal, 842,500 avg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Maybe. Not sure what the cut-off birthdate is for that since I remember us doing that with Andrew Ladd in his last junior-eligible season. If he is eligible to play in the AHL that's probably the tandem we'll roll with, though I refuse to count out John Muse since he always seems to somehow be in the mix.

Jun 13, 2010
NC
It's going to be very crowded in the AHL next year with him, Tirronen, and possibly Altshuller fighting for starts.

Does anyone know why Altshuller didn't play any games in the AHL this year? It's really a shame that he only got to start 13 games down in Florida, and I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to let him get a ton of games under his belt in the A instead of starting Drew MacIntyre and John Muse ahead of him. Muse isn't even under contract and Mac is a 32 y/o UFA after this season... very strange.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Literally couldn't tell you. Not allowing Altshuller to go back for his overage was a mistake IMHO, but I mean what did the guy have left to prove in the OHL?

froze

Jul 1, 2011
It's going to be very crowded in the AHL next year with him, Tirronen, and possibly Altshuller fighting for starts.

Nedeljkovic is not eligible to play in the AHL next year. If he doesn't stick with Carolina (long shot), he goes back to Juniors. He can play AHL this year as his team is out and I'm sure they will take a look at him.

froze

Jul 1, 2011
Also, Nedeljkovic's teammate from Plymouth (Flint), Josh Wesley will be at least practicing (per Chip Alexander) with the Checkers for the rest of the year. He is not signed.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Nedeljkovic is not eligible to play in the AHL next year. If he doesn't stick with Carolina (long shot), he goes back to Juniors. He can play AHL this year as his team is out and I'm sure they will take a look at him.

logo.png

Never mind - didn't realize he'll only have had 3 years in the CHL at the end of this season.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Literally couldn't tell you. Not allowing Altshuller to go back for his overage was a mistake IMHO, but I mean what did the guy have left to prove in the OHL?

I'm up and down on this point. I don't know enough about the instruction he's getting in Florida to be able to say with definitive remarks that he shouldn't have been with a professional team this year. I think if he were a position player, it would very clearly be a case of management not making the right call. However, considering that the goaltender position is one where a player can develop just as much with coaching and being allowed to move slowly through the system.... it's tough for me to say. For example, if he went back to Junior and posted a dominant season but didn't learn anything about how to be a better goaltender just used his increased athleticism and experience to beat other teams.... did he really have a net gain on his development that year?

If they're working with Altshuler and breaking his game down to make him a more effective player, giving him spot starts to test his new techniques, then it may not be a wasted year. They could have spotted a deficiency in his technical skills that needed to be addressed with professional coaching and decided that it was worth a year of limited starts to get that remedied. There's just a lot we don't know about why he didn't play enough.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm up and down on this point. I don't know enough about the instruction he's getting in Florida to be able to say with definitive remarks that he shouldn't have been with a professional team this year. I think if he were a position player, it would very clearly be a case of management not making the right call. However, considering that the goaltender position is one where a player can develop just as much with coaching and being allowed to move slowly through the system.... it's tough for me to say. For example, if he went back to Junior and posted a dominant season but didn't learn anything about how to be a better goaltender just used his increased athleticism and experience to beat other teams.... did he really have a net gain on his development that year?

If they're working with Altshuler and breaking his game down to make him a more effective player, giving him spot starts to test his new techniques, then it may not be a wasted year. They could have spotted a deficiency in his technical skills that needed to be addressed with professional coaching and decided that it was worth a year of limited starts to get that remedied. There's just a lot we don't know about why he didn't play enough.

Yeah and that's where I'm torn as well. I mean on one hand more in-game experience is never a bad thing and god knows the kid didn't get that in Florida, but the question is as you said "why?".

The frustrating part to me in it all is that it's a team that's run by the Karmanos org IIRC, so the team should have incentive to play him. Not saying that he should be playing above all else, but of the three regulars they've had down there (York, Iles, him) he's had the fewest games. And it's not like Iles has been blowing things out of the water in terms of his production either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad