Attachments

• IMG_6655.jpeg
    IMG_6655.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I wouldn't be surprised if he never sets foot in the state again. He's going to make a shit ton of money so he wins in the end. If I were a betting man, I'd say he sabotaged this organization to force a sale from day 1. From nuking the bridge in Glendale before the ink was dry, to stiffing/delaying everyone inside and outside the organization on owed payments, to convincing the NHL that playing in a 4600 seat arena was a good idea to selling everyone on having a chance at passing a vote when anyone that's been around this state for long knew had next to no chance to succeed. Not only do they let him sell it but they let him sell it for relocation which maximized his return. This guy is a top notch con man. Always follow the money.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I wouldn't be surprised if he never sets foot in the state again. He's going to make a shit ton of money so he wins in the end. If I were a betting man, I'd say he sabotaged this organization to force a sale from day 1. From nuking the bridge in Glendale before the ink was dry, to stiffing/delaying everyone inside and outside the organization on owed payments, to convincing the NHL that playing in a 4600 seat arena was a good idea to selling everyone on having a chance at passing a vote when anyone that's been around this state for long knew had next to no chance to succeed. Not only do they let him sell it but they let him sell it for relocation which maximized his return. This guy is a top notch con man. Always follow the money.
The Jar Jar Binks of ownership. Screws up all the way to a win.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Spot on. The TED campaign was overly revealing. These guys are the biggest assholes on the planet.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I think the jury is still out and I need to wait and see how this ends. I still believe, and I may be naive for stating it, that AM may have been forced to sell by the NHL. It seems the Mullett situation wasn't tenable as far as the NHL was concerned (specifically the players union).
There seemed to be murmurs from the Players Association from the outset about Mullett.

There is a bit of irony in regards to Glendale. It seems if Meruelo had worked out something with Glendale and agreed to keep the team there, the Coyotes might not be in this situation.
The irony is that for years the overwhelming sentiment on this site was that the Coyotes couldn't make it in Glendale (I always felt it was the on ice product although I'm in Surprise so there might be bit of a bias) and being on the east side was the only way the club could be successful. I feel like many of the pro eastside lobby in here are the same people turning on AM who wanted the eastside from the get go. He may have found Glendale not a financially feasible arrangement, but maybe the Coyotes needed an owner that did. By the way, Gary Bettman was just as vocal in regards to Glendale.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think the jury is still out and I need to wait and see how this ends. I still believe, and I may be naive for stating it, that AM may have been forced to sell by the NHL. It seems the Mullett situation wasn't tenable as far as the NHL was concerned (specifically the players union).
There seemed to be murmurs from the Players Association from the outset about Mullett.

There is a bit of irony in regards to Glendale. It seems if Meruelo had worked out something with Glendale and agreed to keep the team there, the Coyotes might not be in this situation.
The irony is that for years the overwhelming sentiment on this site was that the Coyotes couldn't make it in Glendale (I always felt it was the on ice product although I'm in Surprise so there might be bit of a bias) and being on the east side was the only way the club could be successful. I feel like many of the pro eastside lobby in here are the same people turning on AM who wanted the eastside from the get go. He may have found Glendale not a financially feasible arrangement, but maybe the Coyotes needed an owner that did. By the way, Gary Bettman was just as vocal in regards to Glendale.
They were not only negative about Glendale, their comments and actions shitting on the west side fans worked against themselves. They actively pushed us away from day one. There was never any marketing to the actual fans that lived close to the arena either. By stating that it couldn't work and that they didn't want to be there, they not only alienated their fans, they pissed off the people that owned and ran the arena to the point they kicked them out. Having a narrative to push for a new arena is one thing. Pushing that narrative so hard you f*** yourself out of revenue and eventually your home is just stupid. They could have continued to lie about how much money they were losing without actually pissing revenue away. Just dumb. But then again, it made him a shit ton of money which brings me back to the theory that might have been the plan all along. Grifter, con man, evil genius or all of the above?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The hockey world had a leg up on AI a long time ago because 99.9% of the interviews are repetition of sentences that mean nothing. For Meruelo to find a way to put out a statement that almost out-AI's the AI is impressive.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
One might say Alex Meruelo did to the Coyotes, what the NHL did to Glendale. That said...

It's extremely hard not to get overly emotional but when I take a step back, I remind myself we are missing a metric ton of detail and it's hard telling who the "bad guy" is in this situation. He's getting absolutely dragged through the mud right now and who knows what's true and what's being taken out of context (or outright made up considering some of the sources) but either way if I'm being honest with myself, it's likely not one guy or one party that doomed the current version of our beloved Yotes, it's probably a little bit of A, B, C, D, etc. In the end I suspect the clock just finally struck midnight and there's a lot of blame to go around as to how we got here.

I think it's best to wait and see as there's still a chance Alex Meruelo isn't a piece of shit and will redeem himself here in Phoenix and the sports world in general. I'm hoping the rumors of him retaining all things Coyotes are true and I hope as part of that he keeps the various Coyote backed hockey programs throughout the valley going full steam ahead. That would be a HUGE sign of good faith and would go a long way towards mending some bridges with the community. Of course the next step would be to go out and actually win that auction and set to work on making that beautiful entertainment district a reality. If he can do that and have the Coyotes back here in short order, that would make him awesome and decidedly not a total piece of shit grifter. Can Alex Meruelo walk the walk or is her just a talker, we shall see...
Aren't these "sucks" threads usually for players that we sarcastically take shots at but basically like?
They have been historically, it's a gallows humor sort of way to try and get a player who has been sucking to step up. Never ever have I wanted one of these "* sucks" threads to work so badly!

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
One might say Alex Meruelo did to the Coyotes, what the NHL did to Glendale. That said...

It's extremely hard not to get overly emotional but when I take a step back, I remind myself we are missing a metric ton of detail and it's hard telling who the "bad guy" is in this situation. He's getting absolutely dragged through the mud right now and who knows what's true and what's being taken out of context (or outright made up considering some of the sources) but either way if I'm being honest with myself, it's likely not one guy or one party that doomed the current version of our beloved Yotes, it's probably a little bit of A, B, C, D, etc. In the end I suspect the clock just finally struck midnight and there's a lot of blame to go around as to how we got here.

I think it's best to wait and see as there's still a chance Alex Meruelo isn't a piece of shit and will redeem himself here in Phoenix and the sports world in general. I'm hoping the rumors of him retaining all things Coyotes are true and I hope as part of that he keeps the various Coyote backed hockey programs throughout the valley going full steam ahead. That would be a HUGE sign of good faith and would go a long way towards mending some bridges with the community. Of course the next step would be to go out and actually win that auction and set to work on making that beautiful entertainment district a reality. If he can do that and have the Coyotes back here in short order, that would make him awesome and decidedly not a total piece of shit grifter. Can Alex Meruelo walk the walk or is her just a talker, we shall see...

They have been historically, it's a gallows humor sort of way to try and get a player who has been sucking to step up. Never ever have I wanted one of these "* sucks" threads to work so badly!
This about sums up my feelings. Well said, friend.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Good post. You are the only one making any kind of sense around here.

Good post and I agree with you.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Well he does.

As a complete outsider who started paying attention to his antics about 6 months ago. His mega project where he said he had no plan B grabbed my attention. You always have a plan B. Anyone who does not have a plan B is either unprepared or running an alternative agenda. It is a mega project that will cost a lot of money and it has to be done properly. He made a stand, I get that, but the information that I have seen on line does not quit add up and I have questions. Such as "no public funds" for the mega project and other promises of what they will pay for? As a tax payer I would love it. People with money only pay for stuff when they have a gun to the back of their heads and I do not see them having it. Early on this year and the talk progressed, me and a few other guys were reading what was being put out and it did not add up, Someone involved has always had an alternative agenda and di not care about the fans. Just my opinion and since this guy is the owner? It was him.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Meruelo doing all this on purpose like some sort of Oceans 11 sized master plan heist of the century is way too tin foil hat for me. I think he tried and failed. And until we hear otherwise, he's still trying according to what we are hearing.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
As a complete outsider who started paying attention to his antics about 6 months ago. His mega project where he said he had no plan B grabbed my attention. You always have a plan B. Anyone who does not have a plan B is either unprepared or running an alternative agenda. It is a mega project that will cost a lot of money and it has to be done properly. He made a stand, I get that, but the information that I have seen on line does not quit add up and I have questions. Such as "no public funds" for the mega project and other promises of what they will pay for? As a tax payer I would love it. People with money only pay for stuff when they have a gun to the back of their heads and I do not see them having it. Early on this year and the talk progressed, me and a few other guys were reading what was being put out and it did not add up, Someone involved has always had an alternative agenda and di not care about the fans. Just my opinion and since this guy is the owner? It was him.

Not having a plan B means you have a bad negotiation-position.

I cannot fathom how a business-man can say something like that.

Normally, people clain they have a plan B even if they don't have one, it's like "you take my offer, I know I am about to get better offers, soon."

Reactions: MIGs Dog and ck26

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ

Normally, people clain they have a plan B even if they don't have one, it's like "you take my offer, I know I am about to get better offers, soon."
Owner will walk out with hefty profit when he sells the team.Chances are that was a plan B

Reactions: ck26

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

Of course you say you have a plan B. But for me, from a business perspective and non hockey perspective. I have been involved in business both big and small. Every business had a frame work for a 5, 10 and 20 year plan that would get adjusted as things progressed. I just question this guys logic and whether or not the SLC guy and him have sat down and have had a deal place for awhile. That would explain some of the moves

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
As a fan of the sport FIRST and a particular team second, I want to send serious well wishes to Arizona Hockey fans.

Meruelo’s handling of this bothers me, and I wish this were not the outcome. Hope to see the Yotes properly reinstated soon, and I’m sorry for your loss.

Raising my beers tonight to fans, team employees and players.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I don't buy Murelo as an evil genius: Evil, sure, genius, no way in hell. I hope that he makes his lives work redeeming his errors, but realistically I am not counting on it. If I only ever hear his name again when he dies it will be too soon.
f***, I mean in retrospect, even Gosbee and LeBlanc don't look so bad ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad