Alex Lyon Playing His Way Into Philadelphia Flyers Future

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
While playing at Yale University, Alex Lyon knew what it took to be a winner. He was a two-time recipient of the Ken Dryden Award, given to the best goalie in the ECAC. He led the league in saves, shutouts and goals-against average in his rookie season. After three years at Yale, Lyon decided to forgo his senior season and signed an entry-level contract with the Philadelphia Flyers on April 5, 2016.

Flash forward to now and Lyon has played a pivotal role in the Flyers playoff chase. Called upon when Brian Elliott and Michal Neuvirth went down with injuries, Lyon has shined during his time in the NHL. It didn’t start out that way, however.

Alex Lyon Playing His Way Into Philadelphia Flyers Future - Last Word on Hockey

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is just as bad as when people were pencilling Cal Heeter in as the back up before he even played an NHL game
OMg remember Cal Heeter :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But seriously this guy is not playing his way into the future. He will AT BEST be kept around as an emergency goalie like in this season when he's only in the NHL because of the massive injuries to Neuvirth, Elliot, and let's also not forget about Stolie. He's fifth on the depth chart as it stands right now (only at second because of injuries) and organizationally he's probably 7th or 8th. Fringe backup goalie who likely won't be brought back and might get a deal somewhere else to fill the same role.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sometimes I think of how many shirts I have sweated through, and how many snakes I have dodged, and how much I have put up with living halfway around the world because the newspaper I worked for went out of business, and I see or read something by a publication or website that somehow survived and I'm just like ... I don't know, man lol

Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sometimes I think of how many shirts I have sweated through, and how many snakes I have dodged, and how much I have put up with living halfway around the world because the newspaper I worked for went out of business, and I see or read something by a publication or website that somehow survived and I'm just like ... I don't know, man lol

Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now.
Would you rather be there or STL?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
XmQ4J.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyon has a bright future as the backup goalie for a team that doesn't expect to contend for the playoffs.

I'm sure that he's a nice kid, but given his age, and his lack of lateral agility, I'd be shocked if he won a starting job in the NHL at any point in his career. He's fundamentally sound, but there's no "there" there.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
These sponsored articles always go over like a fart in church, but nothing will ever beat the article posted here with a headline touting Joe Hicketts as the best defense prospect in the WHL (over Provorov & Sanheim). They had to change the title and delete half the responses. This place went nuts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I definitely think he'll be qualified, but he'll most likely end up on waivers in October.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I don't know guys. Right now I think I feel most comfortable with Lyon in net.

Although, uh, I guess that says more about the goalies we have ahead of him than his career potential.

Can someone just pick me up in a TARDIS and take me to a time when one of Hart/Sandstrom/Ustimenko is cemented as our starter? Thank you.

Tardis.gif

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Lyon has a bright future as the backup goalie for a team that doesn't expect to contend for the playoffs.

I'm sure that he's a nice kid, but given his age, and his lack of lateral agility, I'd be shocked if he won a starting job in the NHL at any point in his career. He's fundamentally sound, but there's no "there" there.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I totally agree with you here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad