Alex Galchenyuk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
:shakehead

Let me ask you this question, What issue do you have with him playing at centre? We don't have a true top line centre, but we are choosing to halt the development of one of the best prospects at that position that we've had in years? Why?

He was effective at centre....so what reasoning (other than what Therrien says) do you have?

I don't have an issue with him playing center, but if he's more comfortable on the wing and if they think it allows him to focus on offense then what's the problem? What's with the big rush you have to see him playing center?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don't have an issue with him playing center, but if he's more comfortable on the wing and if they think it allows him to focus on offense then what's the problem? What's with the big rush you have to see him playing center?

If he wasn't comfortable at centre, he did a good job looking comfortable.

The big rush is this, we need a franchise centreman......keeping him on the wing is slowing that.

It's really that simple.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I'm not saying our lineup has no faults. We need to add, a fairly substantially.

However, keeping our best centre prospect in years in his off position isn't good for us long term.

The wings should be the last thing we build this team around.
Goalie
Defence
Centre

Those are the positions you build a winning team from imo.

1) Playing wing didn't seem to hinder him much last night. :laugh:

2) Explain again how Center is his position when he hasn't played it in 4 years.

3) Without Galchy on the wing, what is our depth at left wing after Pacioretty? Bournival, Prust and Thomas. Yuck.

4) What's our second line if we have a Pac-Galchy-Gally first line? Eller*/Prust/Bournival-Plek-DSP/DD*/PAP? Yech.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
If he wasn't comfortable at centre, he did a good job looking comfortable.

The big rush is this, we need a franchise centreman......keeping him on the wing is slowing that.

It's really that simple.

And he'll be that eventually. There's zero need to burden a 20 year old with those responsibilities because of some imaginary rush to label him a franchise centerman. Right now he needs to be put in the situation that he's most comfortable in and to keep him confident and putting up points. The team is on fire, we're looking pretty golden right now. Patience kimosabe.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
1) Playing wing didn't seem to hinder him much last night. :laugh:

2) Explain again how Center is his position when he hasn't played it in 4 years.

3) Without Galchy on the wing, what is our depth at left wing after Pacioretty? Bournival, Prust and Thomas. Yuck.

4) What's our second line if we have a Pac-Galchy-Gally first line? Eller*/Prust/Bournival-Plek-DSP/DD*/PAP? Yech.

1. Yes he produces at wing.....what's your point.

2. If he isn't a centre.....then we need to draft one ASAP.

3. Its much easier to get wingers than centremen. Learn about value in the league please.

4. I'm not saying we don't have holes to fill, we do. I'm just pointing out having Galchenyuk on the wing, is a bad move for us long term.

Really....these are your talking points....

If you seriously don't think Galchenyuk is a centre, and NEEDS TO BE for us to be a serious contender LONG TERM....there is no point discussing.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
It baffles me that some posters are concerned with the 2nd line winger than the 1st line center position. Some suggest Galchenyuk should play center, others will point that this will leave a big gap on wing for the 2nd line.

Our biggest weakness right now is our 1st line center position and this will most certainly hurt us in the playoffs.

How hard is this to understand?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I hope the "relax, Galchenyuk is not ready yet" arguments do not evolve into ""Galchenyuk has not played centre for years, he should stay on wing" arguments.

We do need Galchenyuk at C as soon as possible. With Desharnais (5'6") and Plekanec (5'10") our one-two down the middle is much too small for today's NHL. We can compensate somewhat in the regular season but come playoff time there is more physical play and less time and space and the size issue becomes much more pronounced.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
It baffles me that some posters are concerned with the 2nd line winger than the 1st line center position. Some suggest Galchenyuk should play center, others will point that this will leave a big gap on wing for the 2nd line.

Our biggest weakness right now is our 1st line center position and this will most certainly hurt us in the playoffs.

Our first center definitely has room for improvement. However, unless you can magically generate a decent replacement for what Galchenyuk brings on the 2nd line, this won't solve much of the problem. Gathering all your talent on a single line makes it all the more easy to counter, especially during playoffs. I mean, look at every team, they almost all separate their best forwards on two different lines.

The only concern I have with this is that they bring them together on the PP, which we don't so far. That's really puzzling.

I hope the "relax, Galchenyuk is not ready yet" arguments do not evolve into ""Galchenyuk has not played centre for years, he should stay on wing" arguments.

We do need Galchenyuk at C as soon as possible. With Desharnais (5'6") and Plekanec (5'10") our one-two down the middle is much too small for today's NHL. We can compensate somewhat in the regular season but come playoff time there is more physical play and less time and space and the size issue becomes much more pronounced.

True, I'd like to improve/increase the size of our centerline as much as you do. However, we don't have enough top 6 talent to afford it at the moment. Galchenyuk can be effective at wing, others C can't, while they are still moderately - decently effective at C. It's about getting the most out of everyone, so unless you bring in some extra top 6er, I don't think playing Galchenyuk at C is something we can afford.

I'm pretty confident the plan was always, and still is, to have him take the 1st C spot. When that comes, it will be when we'll still have balanced lines.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

The problem is not just one of wing versus center. It's who do you play Galchenyuk with? If you play him as first line center with Patches, the second line's quality plummets. The opponents can key on just one line.

If you play him at center, and don't put him with Patches, there are no other scoring wingers he can feed (Gallagher is mostly a garbage goal scorer, not someone to feed pretty passes to).

It is better to split the two players at 5-on-5 at this time, given who our other wingers are. It is better to have two 1A and 1B lines, or even call them 2A and 2B, by putting Galchenyuk with Plekanec and Gallagher, and Pacioretty with Desharnais and Weise or Parenteau or even Smith-Pelley. I wouyd actually consider the line that has three of our four best forwards (Pleks, Chucky and Gally) the "first" line, and the one that has one of our four best forwards (Patches) the "second" line. The first line can even play more minutes because it needs no sheltering.

Where I disagree more strongly with the coach is in not putting Pacioretty and Galchenyuk together on a the first wave of the PP for 1min20.

There is nothing wrong with occasionally putting 67 and 27 together, but there is more value in splitting them at 5-on-5 like the Hawks do with Toews and Kane (most of the time).

Perhaps once McCarron and Scherbak arrive and are legitimate top-6 players, Galchenyuk could play on a super-strong first line with Patches and say McCarron, while Pleks and Gallagher could get Scherbak, who would sort of replace Chucky in the latter's current role, once he is capable. Or the Habs could sign a top offensive player as a FA or get one via trade, if we aren't willing to wait for Big Mac or Nikita.

So again, it isn't a question of forcing Galchenyuk into the center position so much as balancing more than one line of offensive punch. Plekanec may not be one of the top first-line centers in the league, but he is good enough to keep us way,way up n the standings.

Desharnais is small and not overly speedy, and may only have middle-six scoring potential, but that is acceptable if our 3rd and 4th line centremen are big guys who are strong defensively like Eller, DeLaRose or Malhotra. Pleks can play in any situation, Eller and DeLaRose can handle bigger opponents, and Desharnais can play in an exploitation role at 15 minutes. But get Davey off the first PP unit!!!

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This guy is so talented, and has been making so much progress in his game (though the stats aren't following that progress), I feel he's going to have a dominating post-season. He's not far from breaking out as a star.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

There is a stark reality as to why AG isn't where he should be.
It is a pathetic reality.
Too much ink has already been spilled on the subject.
The stark reality is that immovable objects in your mirror may be closer than they appear.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
This guy is so talented, and has been making so much progress in his game (though the stats aren't following that progress), I feel he's going to have a dominating post-season. He's not far from breaking out as a star.

I have such high hopes and so much faith in him that, I'm considering keeping him over Pacioretty as my fourth choice (my other three are Price, Seguin and Giroux) in my 'keeper pool'. Galchenyuk is the real deal, the complete package, and I couldn't be happier that we have him.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
So, the talent drop-off between DD and Galchenyuk at #1C is less than the talent drop-off between those two at #2RW? Is that the basic gist of the pro-DD-at-#1 crowd?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
So, the talent drop-off between DD and Galchenyuk at #1C is less than the talent drop-off between those two at #2RW? Is that the basic gist of the pro-DD-at-#1 crowd?

Do you honestly believe that the people who post about having AG play left wing in the interim, actually WANT DD as our #1 center?

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Do you honestly believe that the people who post about having AG play left wing in the interim, actually WANT DD as our #1 center?

Not sure how this answers my question; whether they want him there or not, is what I posted a rough summary of their argument?

I'd like to make sure I'm clear on the argument before I address it.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Is there even a "they" to begin with? Who is this pro-DD-as-#1C crowd that's terrorizing you so?

There's like, 3 people on this whole board who even bother defending DD anymore and even then I don't think they agree he is/should be a #1C...

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Winter,

I think everyone supports replacing DD whenever possible and or stop over using him. But I think this is a very good summary of why people are Ok with Galchenyuk playing the wing on the interim. I don't think anyone wants to see him there long term.

The problem is not just one of wing versus center. It's who do you play Galchenyuk with? If you play him as first line center with Patches, the second line's quality plummets. The opponents can key on just one line.

If you play him at center, and don't put him with Patches, there are no other scoring wingers he can feed (Gallagher is mostly a garbage goal scorer, not someone to feed pretty passes to).

It is better to split the two players at 5-on-5 at this time, given who our other wingers are. It is better to have two 1A and 1B lines, or even call them 2A and 2B, by putting Galchenyuk with Plekanec and Gallagher, and Pacioretty with Desharnais and Weise or Parenteau or even Smith-Pelley. I wouyd actually consider the line that has three of our four best forwards (Pleks, Chucky and Gally) the "first" line, and the one that has one of our four best forwards (Patches) the "second" line. The first line can even play more minutes because it needs no sheltering.

Where I disagree more strongly with the coach is in not putting Pacioretty and Galchenyuk together on a the first wave of the PP for 1min20.

There is nothing wrong with occasionally putting 67 and 27 together, but there is more value in splitting them at 5-on-5 like the Hawks do with Toews and Kane (most of the time).

Perhaps once McCarron and Scherbak arrive and are legitimate top-6 players, Galchenyuk could play on a super-strong first line with Patches and say McCarron, while Pleks and Gallagher could get Scherbak, who would sort of replace Chucky in the latter's current role, once he is capable. Or the Habs could sign a top offensive player as a FA or get one via trade, if we aren't willing to wait for Big Mac or Nikita.

So again, it isn't a question of forcing Galchenyuk into the center position so much as balancing more than one line of offensive punch. Plekanec may not be one of the top first-line centers in the league, but he is good enough to keep us way,way up n the standings.

Desharnais is small and not overly speedy, and may only have middle-six scoring potential, but that is acceptable if our 3rd and 4th line centremen are big guys who are strong defensively like Eller, DeLaRose or Malhotra. Pleks can play in any situation, Eller and DeLaRose can handle bigger opponents, and Desharnais can play in an exploitation role at 15 minutes. But get Davey off the first PP unit!!!

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Is there even a "they" to begin with? Who is this pro-DD-as-#1C crowd that's terrorizing you so?

I've received warnings for my tone, but this sounds a little like baiting; who said I was being terrorized? How is asking a question for clarification leading you to think I'm being terrorized?

There's like, 3 people on this whole board who even bother defending DD anymore and even then I don't think they agree he is/should be a #1C...

Ok, again though, this doesn't answer my question.

Is the talent drop-off between DD and AG at center less than the talent drop-off between them at W? Is that what the argument is?

Or is this question terrorizing you? ;)

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Winter,

I think everyone supports replacing DD whenever possible and or stop over using him. But I think this is a very good summary of why people are Ok with Galchenyuk playing the wing on the interim. I don't think anyone wants to see him there long term.

We can play Pacioretty with Plekanec, and have DD on the wing for Galchenyuk, or Eller on the wing for Galchenyuk and DD as a 3rd line C.

Also, I'm a bit unclear on how the poster you quoted can say this:

...but then can also say that we do in fact have a de facto #1 and #2:
I wouyd actually consider the line that has three of our four best forwards (Pleks, Chucky and Gally) the "first" line, and the one that has one of our four best forwards (Patches) the "second" line. The first line can even play more minutes because it needs no sheltering.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Part of the problem with gluing DD to Pacioretty is that opposing defences know they only need to focus on Pacioretty, because DD has tunnel vision when he's playing with Max. All he can see is Max, all he can think to do is pass to Max. Putting Pacioretty with either Plekanec or Galchenyuk resolves this problem, because now opposing defences have two scoring threats on the line to contend with, not just one.

The brief time that DD was demoted, we saw he was capable of shedding the tunnel vision, even using his (admittedly so-so) shot. Now he's right back to "pass to Max, pass to Max". It's a glaring problem with that line and always has been. It's a big reason DD's playoff production has been so putrid too.

So yes, I'm all in favour of putting Chuck with Max, and moving DD down to a secondary role. I think it worked better when we did it the first time.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
I'm ok with him at wing. They've brought him along invredibly slowly. Truly sheltered first year in short season, more responsibilities next year but still 3rd line minutes. Top 6 finally and showing lot of promise. I don't think he will be our centre men till after this year

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
at least in past years Darche and the like were tertiary players, the problem with DD as teacher's pet is he plays first line center minutes...

:help:

tell him to get over it and put Galchenyuk in his place now and throughout the playoffs. Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher would be great in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad