News Article: Alex Faust joins MSG Radio Network!

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

ALEX FAUST JOINS MSG NETWORKS AS A PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER FOR NEW YORK RANGERS ON 98.7 ESPN NEW YORK RADIO​

ALEX FAUST JOINS MSG NETWORKS AS A PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER FOR NEW YORK RANGERS ON 98.7 ESPN NEW YORK RADIO

New York, NY (October 31, 2023) –
MSG Networks has announced that versatile sports play-by-play announcer and Brooklyn, New York native Alex Faust will join the Networks as a game-caller for the New York Rangers on 98.7 ESPN New York Radio along with mainstays Kenny Albert and Don La Greca. Faust also calls NHL games for TNT, and Major League Baseball games for Fox Sports and Apple TV+.

Faust, 34, joins a rotation with Albert and La Greca on Rangers broadcasts on 98.7 ESPN New York Radio, and will work alongside Rangers legend and analyst Dave Maloney.

“I’m so excited to join MSG Networks, one of the preeminent regional sports networks, and to call games for the Rangers, a team that I’ve followed my whole life,” said Faust. “It’s a dream come true to be part of this iconic franchise and to experience the thrill of working a home game at Madison Square Garden. I can’t wait to share a booth with former Rangers Captain Dave Maloney, who I’ve listened to on radio and watched on TV for so many years.”

“MSG Networks welcomes Alex to our stellar broadcast team,” said Kevin Marotta, senior vice president, content and marketing, MSG Networks. “Alex is one of the top young play-callers in sports and we know that the passionate Rangers fanbase will enjoy his expertise and enthusiasm in the booth.”

A Northeastern University graduate, Faust cut his teeth at the college’s WRRB 104.9 radio station, calling play-by-play for a variety of sports, including Huskie’s hockey. Faust was awarded the 2011 Jim Nantz Award from the National Sports Media Association, the country’s top college Sportscaster award.

In 2012, Faust served as the play-by-play announcer for the now defunct Single A Staten Island Yankees, followed by a play-by-play stint with the Utica Comets, then AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks (now a New Jersey Devils affiliate). He later went on to land jobs calling college basketball and college football for Fox Sports and ESPN.

In 2018, Faust began as the TV play-by-play announcer for the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings, becoming the youngest play-by-play announcer in the sport at the time (27 years old). Faust served in this role through the 2022-23 season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It was only a matter of time before we lost Kenny Albert. Hopefully we get him back on MSG on that sad day that Sam retires.

edit - just saw Albert is still going to do some games, but he does less and less each year as he does more national TV games.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think Kenny is planning to take the same path as his dad. Marv left the Knicks in 2004 and spent the last 17 years of his career almost exclusively calling national events for the major networks.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Faust was good for the Kings, would be a nice heir apparent to Sam when Sam decides to hang it up.

Kenny deserves everything nationally, he has worked so hard, seemed like he was in a new city every night calling a sport.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Just replace Gianone and his near-falsetto voice and tacky jokes, with someone with a proper voice, a la Bill Clement or Gary Thorne.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I think Kenny is planning to take the same path as his dad. Marv left the Knicks in 2004 and spent the last 17 years of his career almost exclusively calling national events for the major networks.
Are we sure Kenny would rather do national events than take over for Sam soon if given the opportunity?

Always thought the job is Kenny's (if he wants it) when Sam hangs em up

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Anyone around for 1994 and beyond can appreciate a guy named Faust getting a deal with the Rangers.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Are we sure Kenny would rather do national events than take over for Sam soon if given the opportunity?

Always thought the job is Kenny's (if he wants it) when Sam hangs em up
It probably is. But he definitely gets paid a hell of a lot more in the meantime doing national tv broadcasts than radio on espn radio.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Faust was excellent for LA whenever I watched them and on national games he did. I wonder if they see him as the heir apparent to Sam. I always thought that would be Kenny but with him as PBP guy #1 for TNT who knows.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
I checked out the Kings forum to get some opinions on him.
pros: fantastic broadcasting voice, young, can adapt to any sport, huge long term career potential
cons: likely has sights on continuing to move upwards (question of loyalty), lack of knowledge (or maybe interest?) in hockey and likely wants to commentate on other sports

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
He was fine. Always takes getting used to someone new but I thought he did ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad