Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler will test the Free Agents Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nope, 2014-2020 was Edler's peak. Young Edler was more athletic and scored more PP points on that stacked Sedin PP, but struggled defensively. His defensive game later in his career was on a completely different level.
11-12 he was a Norris Darkhorse at the turn of the New Year.....then Marchand submarined Salo in "Game 8" (Hodgson goal memories ....) and the makeup on the back end switched and the PP started fading from the top unit it was to that point.

I think he's always been solid defensively, his early career you just wanted that extra 10% because that would've been a top 10 League defender.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
11-12 he was a Norris Darkhorse at the turn of the New Year.....then Marchand submarined Salo in "Game 8" (Hodgson goal memories ....) and the makeup on the back end switched and the PP started fading from the top unit it was to that point.

I think he's always been solid defensively, his early career you just wanted that extra 10% because that would've been a top 10 League defender.

He was getting 60%+ zone starts in soft minutes in that period and still bleeding goals relative to the ridiculously good team he was on.

He was more impressive eye-test wise because he was more athletic at that point, but he made a lot of positional blunders. His shutdown/defensive game went to a totally different level later in his career.

10-11 he did have a very good first half before injury. 11-12 I thought he was poor and the praise he was getting was purely based on his point totals.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
He was getting 60%+ zone starts in soft minutes in that period and still bleeding goals relative to the ridiculously good team he was on
The 5 man unit. Can't remember exactly when AV implemented that, but yeah they bled goals, and scored lots. A lot of people I knew around that time blamed alot of their goals against on Ehrhoff, and he was the weak link defensively, but Edler did get running around sometimes. At a certain point I thought they should have switched Ehrhoff for someone else, or given up on the 5 man unit at ES altogether. Eddy and Ehrhoff were a great combo offensively and terrible (together) defensively is how i remember it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Edler's time here is a bit of a mixed bag. We all know the story of how he came to be drafted and his development early on from the the WHL to the Canucks was as good as one could hope for. His size, skating, and offensive ability had us believing that he would one day put it all together and be that #1 Dman we sorely needed. For the longest time, Edler was considered the closest thing we have to a #1 Dman based on his potential. There were brief moments (remember those playoff games where he dominated physically against the Kings?) where he appeared to be capable of that. But that wasn't something he could sustain. He wasn't playing a top pairing role until Hamhuis started to decline and Edler and Tanev formed a #1 pairing (with no one else challenging him for that role). Edler wasn't Ohlund who was basically a rock from the beginning. So I think certainly, Edler underachieved vis a vis his potential. But in his later years he certainly anchored the first pairing. Not a stud by any means but pretty much everyone was better playing with Edler than without. There were also a lot of stats over the years justifying his presence on the first unit PP despite many of us thinking he should be removed from it. So I do think that Edler has gone from overvalued to underappreciated.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
@Mr. Canucklehead. Apologies if there's another thread up that I missed.

I wanted to create an appreciation through but didn't want to talk about this there. Edler signed with LA for $3.5M AAV. A confusing signing given his supposed interest in leaving Vancouver was to win.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he has been a great player for us. i guess our best dman. after watching so many toolsy guys run into the wall of their hockey iq limitations it is inspiring to see a guy do it his way and get away with it. i will always love him for his deliberate play ending penalties when beaten.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Would have much, much preferred Edler back at that price than bringing in that OEL albatross. But it is what it is - good luck in LA.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I remember a D-men ranking thread on the general board back then (probably 2 years before back surgery) were the concenus was that he was a top 20 D-man give or take.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Lol. So needlessly accusatorial. Thanks for illustrating my point.

Lol. I don’t even know if being a casual is a bad thing. I also have no clue why Edler signing with LA is a wake up call. If you just want to make these grand statements without explaining what you mean that’s fine I guess. :rolleyes:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
can you just say what you are trying to say? it's hard to guess.

Probably that even Edler who wanted to stay here now wants out because he has no faith in this organization anymore, and would rather play for a bottom feeding team like the Kings than this team that has been assembled. It's f***ing sad and pathetic that this is the state of this organization.

Reactions: MS

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
My theory is he was done playing for Travis more than he was done playing with the front office.

I think he can extend his career away from here anyways. No baggage. No fan expectation. Just go play 2nd pair minutes and enjoy hockey again.

Gonna miss his marches to the penalty box with not a hint of a complaint.

Still absolutely livid an 80+ fight guy went after him this year.

Reactions: B-rock

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Probably that even Edler who wanted to stay here now wants out because he has no faith in this organization anymore, and would rather play for a bottom feeding team like the Kings than this team that has been assembled. It's f***ing sad and pathetic that this is the state of this organization.

Do you really think Edler had no faith in this organization or do you think he would have stayed here if he was offered a 1 year, $3.5 mill contract? I think he was offered a contract similar to what Sutter and Schenn signed for and he decided to go elsewhere.

If he was re-signed here for $3.5 mill, then would you say this was a good signing, or crap on the team again for keeping a 35 year old defenseman? I would not have been in favour of matching the LA deal and would have been indifferent if he signed the same contract as Sutter.

Reactions: Nomobo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Do you really think Edler had no faith in this organization or do you think he would have stayed here if he was offered a 1 year, $3.5 mill contract? I think he was offered a contract similar to what Sutter and Schenn signed for and he decided to go elsewhere.

If he was re-signed here for $3.5 mill, then would you say this was a good signing, or crap on the team again for keeping a 35 year old defenseman? I would not have been in favour of matching the LA deal and would have been indifferent if he signed the same contract as Sutter.

Im pretty sure heard Drance say he was offered a similar deal but opted to sign in LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad