Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler will test the Free Agents Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Despite everything he remained to be the backbone of our defense. Losing him will be akin to losing Tanev last year. A disgruntled Schmidt or whoever we find in free agency (or relying on Hughes/Rathbone/Juolevi) is not going to be able to do what he did for us

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm pretty sad to see him go but this probably had to be done if we want to overhaul the D and get faster. He's still a very serviceable player but it's time now. Great memories over the years, his once in a blue moon end to end rushes, Game 1 vs LA in 2010 where he finally had enough shit and look like he ate the Wheaties hopper, the awful and horrific Edler-Bieksa pairing, overall I have fond memories of seeing him play ever since he was a rookie.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Sad to see him go because he's been an incredible player for the franchise for a long time, but he's at an age where he needs to be paid a lower salary and on a 2nd/3rd pairing with lower minutes. I hope he wins a cup wherever he goes (as long as it's not the Bruins).

On a separate note, shouldn't management and Edler have worked this stuff out before the trade deadline? I mean, wouldn't that have worked out for both parties? Edler could've chased a cup (which is apparently a reason why he is leaving) and the Canucks could've added an asset for him.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Definitely sad to see him go (if he ends up signing somewhere else). Long standing excellent player that I believe has been somewhat unfairly criticized for most of his career.
I think that early part of his career, the criticism was valid. Through his late twenties/early thirties, he improved a lot IMO.

Reactions: elitepete and MS

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Surprising since he's always been so adamant that he doesn't want to play anywhere other than Vancouver. But if he wants to test the market, I wish him nothing but the best. He's been our backbone on defense for over a decade, and IMO the best defensemen we've ever had (career wise). Hope he gets a nice contract somewhere.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He probably wants one more shot at the cup
I get it but it seems sudden. He wanted to be here every other year. He could have easily been dealt at the deadline if he wanted to be. Or in previous ones where we were still shit. Seems like some sort of shift over the last few months?

I get that we can’t return with the same defense but I don’t like the fact that Edler is the fall guy here.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I get it but it seems sudden. He wanted to be here every other year. He could have easily been dealt at the deadline if he wanted to be. Or in previous ones where we were still shit. Seems like some sort of shift over the last few months?

I get that we can’t return with the same defense but I don’t like the fact that Edler is the fall guy here.

The departures last year also could have played into how he views the team and their chances going forward. If the team was remotely competitive I imagine he wants to stay here.

Reactions: geebaan

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Makes the most sense for him -- He has probably 2 more years left for a shot at the cup and knows that Canucks defence is transitioning to a new era in which he will have a diminished role.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Edler, like Tanev, is the perfect veteran to have on this team. Unfortunately Jim Benning is f***ing incompetent and has mismanaged the salary cap so badly that we have ended up with shitty over paid veterans instead of good, homegrown veterans. It would be funny if it wasn’t so depressing.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I hope he signs in Tampa or Colorado on a 1-year offer.

It's the right move though for Vancouver, albeit very late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad