Dreger: Alex Edler extension talks progressing

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
If he really wants to stay in Vancouver then I don't see why he can't sign one year deals for the rest of his career with a NMC.

Because if he blows his knee next year then what....has done with no contract or security.

This is probably his last chance at a multiple year contract and payday.. why would he want the risk of a year by year contract ?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

member 290103

And force his kids to go to a new school ?? New friends.... tons of roots in Van.

He absolutely loves living in Vancouver. Who wouldn't.

Winning the cup isn't everything to every NHLer. Especially those that grew up in Europe. Alot of times they were exposed more to world championships and Olympics more than the Stanley cup finals.

People go out of town for work. He’s on the road without them lots. Waive and go play for a contender, return as a UFA. Family stays. Why not do this?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
People go out of town for work. He’s on the road without them lots. Waive and go play for a contender, return as a UFA. Family stays. Why not do this?

Because he left millions on the table in exchange for the nmc when he signed this contract so it obviously means alot to him .

And there is also no guarantee that Van would re sign him in the summer.

So why be away from the fam and have to move twice rather than just once in summer.

He doesn't care about cup chasing. So literally no advantage for him to waive.

member 290103

Because he left millions on the table in exchange for the nmc when he signed this contract so it obviously means alot to him .

So why be away from the fam and have to move twice rather than just once in summer.

Should be no guarantee he comes back next year anyway. I agree that e erythromycin you have outlined would be his reasons, I just think they are weak and cowardly.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Should be no guarantee he comes back next year anyway. I agree that e erythromycin you have outlined would be his reasons, I just think they are weak and cowardly.

Your anger is misplaced. Its not Edlers fault. If I gave up millions of dollars in exchange for a nmc then you better bet your butt I'm going to stick to my guns.

If you're angry then it should be with Gillis who gave away NMCs like candy on Halloween

member 290103

Your anger is misplaced. Its not Edlers fault. If I gave up millions of dollars in exchange for a nmc then you better bet your butt I'm going to stick to my guns.

If you're angry then it should be with Gillis who gave away NMCs like candy on Halloween
Lol. Not angry. I just think he’s a coward. Your anger about my comment is hence misplaced.

member 290103

Lmao. He's a coward because he doesn't want to leave Vancouver? Don't be ridiculous.

I think it’s incredibly weak. If he wanted to come back you know they easily bring him back. Man up and make the move for a few months. Let see some passion to win, rather than this, ‘Stanley Cup? Meh.’ Attitude

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Cup chasing is for *****es, anyone can hop onto a powerhouse like Hossa kept trying to. Winning with the team that drafted you means a whole lot more.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't hossa get banished to Atlanta by his team first?

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
Wow, a sane post on this site is rare. I love how people seem to think you can win with all youth when the last 4 cup winners have all been older teams. Let's be like the Oilers or Yotes and spin our tires for 10 years. Leafs will find this out in a couple of months.
One of the biggest false assumptions on HF is the majority of people think you straight tank until you turn into a contender. Anything inbetween like playoff bubble teams are a fail. This is 100% false. I would much rather pay edler the 3 years and struggle for playoffs for 2 years to get our young core experience then to trade assets every TDL and go for a top 5 pick. At some point, you gotta win games, and that means keeping your players.

I fully expect a 3yr deal with nmc with a cap friendly contract.

I would like to see a 1 yr deal so we dont have to protect him

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Ideal, 1-2yrs.... probably will be 3yrs (with some hard decisions to be made going into expansion). Fingers crossed the last year is a limited NTC (provides a list)..

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
One of the biggest false assumptions on HF is the majority of people think you straight tank until you turn into a contender. Anything inbetween like playoff bubble teams are a fail. This is 100% false. I would much rather pay edler the 3 years and struggle for playoffs for 2 years to get our young core experience then to trade assets every TDL and go for a top 5 pick. At some point, you gotta win games, and that means keeping your players.

I fully expect a 3yr deal with nmc with a cap friendly contract.

I would like to see a 1 yr deal so we dont have to protect him
You would be a terrible NHL GM, playing crappy players to try to hobble into the 8th seed and pray for a win or two instead of getting usable assets for the future when you’re actually competitive.

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
You would be a terrible NHL GM, playing crappy players to try to hobble into the 8th seed and pray for a win or two instead of getting usable assets for the future when you’re actually competitive.
Good thing like 15 gms do exactly that. Guess half the gms are all horrible and should all be sacked and might as well hire you for all the positions

SMH at this stupidity

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
He has stated multiple times that his priority is his family and he doesn't want to cup chase. Either he wins one in Van or he doesn't.
People really overrate hockey achievements over things like family here. Players are human too with other things to worry about than points or cups.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

This is complete rubbish that keeps getting tossed around. When he signed this deal 6 years ago, dmen like him were not getting much more than 5 million a year. This was never a sweetheart deal. Some seasons he's been worth maybe 6 and other seasons 4. He isn't a superstar defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad