Dreger: Alex Edler extension talks progressing

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
As it should. He was never going to waive with how much he loves living in Vancouver and the discount he gave during the cup run years to get that NMC.

He's worth to the Canucks more than any team is probably willing to pay due to his injury history.

I'd go go for 2-3yrs. I'm hoping in those 2-3yrs someone else takes over as #1 Dman for the Canucks whether its Hughes or UFA.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Damn it. Was really looking forward to acquiring some futures. Re-signing edler on a rebuilding team is pointless.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Elders decent but based on age and injuries if it’s more that 2 years and 10 mill I’ll be pissed. You know he’s get a nmc too.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Damn it. Was really looking forward to acquiring some futures. Re-signing edler on a rebuilding team is pointless.

The futures being offered wouldn't have been that much.

He's often injured and has a NMC. That lowers his value HF big time.

And I'm of the mind set that the rebuild needs to be sprinkled with actual development. You can't just trade every single player and just get draft picks.

What happens in 3-5 yrs when the core is used to a losing culture and the never have experienced a big game. That can become extremely toxic and hard to reverse. Ala a certain franchise.

Edler will help our core and also shelter young guns like Q Hughes from having to be a top pairing right away.

Reactions: illusory

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
A Leaf fan here.... sure he could get you guys some picks back... but it's his right to stay. Plus he's a career Vancouver guy. He obviously wants to stay.

He's always seemed to be a pretty steady d man for you guys .. and you have some good young D man coming up, so I would say if he signs a 2 or 3 year deal at a good hit... that's pretty valuable to a rebuilding team.

As a d man gets older... if you put him on a bottom pairing and he can still skate and play well positionally. . He'll be fine. As long as he's not looking at 5 years or something.

You guys have some good young talent.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Like Beagle and Roussel up front (Horvat learned from two of the best in the twins) and Edler on the blue line... the vet presence with top notch in-season and off-season practice habits is why they are on this team over the next couple few seasons.

This management team had targeted players (for worse or for better) within age groups... in part for succession and cap management purposes... vets with an ability to mentor some amazing up and coming youth is invaluable. Not only in practices/day-to-day living (Edler is good with other Swedes, where we have a couple youngsters from ), but to shelter them in game as deemed necessary... especially with Dmen.

I want a 3-year, $13.5M contract... not likely to be that low in salary ($4.5M per season), but I’ll be happy with a 3-year deal.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The futures being offered wouldn't have been that much.

He's often injured and has a NMC. That lowers his value HF big time.

And I'm of the mind set that the rebuild needs to be sprinkled with actual development. You can't just trade every single player and just get draft picks.

What happens in 3-5 yrs when the core is used to a losing culture and the never have experienced a big game. That can become extremely toxic and hard to reverse. Ala a certain franchise.

Edler will help our core and also shelter young guns like Q Hughes from having to be a top pairing right away.

Well, if you have good scouting a couple 2nds and a prospect can be huge for a rebuild.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He's a millionaire they can go with him.

And force his kids to go to a new school ?? New friends.... tons of roots in Van.

He absolutely loves living in Vancouver. Who wouldn't.

Winning the cup isn't everything to every NHLer. Especially those that grew up in Europe. Alot of times they were exposed more to world championships and Olympics more than the Stanley cup finals.

Reactions: zaqq

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
He's a millionaire they can go with him.

He's a multi-multi-millionaire either way. Why not get exactly what you want?

For most people, Vancouver is a very expensive city with relatively limited employment opportunities in many sectors. I've done the math. By staying here with my family, I am certain I am leaving 7 figures on the table over the course of my career (in terms of lost opportunity/salary in places with cheaper or at least similar costs of living). But being close to extended family and friends in a place I love has made it worth it so far.

For people with an 8 figure net worth, I'm sure the decision is even easier.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
He’s very valuable to this team. Their record when he’s injured is not good.

Would be over the moon with 2 years , guessing 3, and worrying it will be 4 years

Messien

Mar 11, 2013
Ideally, we would trade him but I'd rather re-sign him then lose him to free agency if he's not willing to waive his no-trade. I'm guessing the contract comes in at 3x5.5 with a NMC.

Reactions: zaqq

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
It also can't be underestimated that Edler is helping immensely with the transition of Pettersson to North America. In an interview Pettersson expressed that he is homesick a lot and doesn't really go out much in Vancouver except maybe to the Swedes on the teams houses. Swedes being Edler Eriksson Markstrom.

Rebuild has many faces

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It better be a discount.

With that being said, to those who are criticizing Edler for this you need a reality check. He’s been in Vancouver for like 13 years and played junior hockey in BC. When you have a house, roots, family, friends, familiarity, etc. It’s not so simple as just leaving and starting over somewhere else. For those of you on here who are mid thirties with a house, career, family, etc. You should understand Edler’s perspective.

VanCoolers

Feb 6, 2019
Pennsylvania
NHL 19 contract on him i had $3.55 million for 3 years . Putting at a price tag of a 10.65 million deal.

But if anyone wants to raise the stakes id give Edler the most 4mil a season

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If Benning signs him to anything over $4.5 and 2 years, then he should be fired. Edler does not want to be anywhere else, refuses to waive his no trade so he's played his hand. In my opinion that means he gets term and money that is on Vancouver's terms. With an aging player that misses a lot of time due to injury I would say his value drops with every year he signs. If he wants 1 year - $5.0, 2 years - $4.5, 3 years - $4.0 if he wants a NMC - 0 years. If Edler isn't willing to help the Canucks out by going to play for a contender for the last 20 games of a season in order to get some assets and then re-sign in the off season (think Polak) then I wouldn't do him any favours during a contract negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad