AHL: Alex D'Orio

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was just looking through Penguins goalie depth chart and then realized there is very little information about him here on these boards.

I assumed he was on an AHL contract but it turns out he is entering the third year of an ELC he signed as an undrafted FA in 2017 (two slide years).

Given the goaltending situation with the Penguins is there any chance he moves up or us the AHL (or Europe) most likely his ceiling?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think he’s an NHL option anytime soon. Right now he’ll compete with Lindberg for AHL starts since it doesn’t seem like they’ll be signing another goalie. Oh and Nappier.

I’d reassess his potential NHL upside after a full AHL season.

Reactions: Solution

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Was just looking through Penguins goalie depth chart and then realized there is very little information about him here on these boards.

I assumed he was on an AHL contract but it turns out he is entering the third year of an ELC he signed as an undrafted FA in 2017 (two slide years).

Given the goaltending situation with the Penguins is there any chance he moves up or us the AHL (or Europe) most likely his ceiling?

Hard to say definitively but last season in the AHL was the first time he's posted a decent save percentage in a long time, and he probably needs to repeat that before the Pens start thinking of him as a guy who might get promoted. He didn't even the call to play an NHL game when DeSmith was injured - that went to Lagace - which would have been the first sign there's more there. Right now, it feels like there's more chance he regresses and ends back in the ECHL and is released then he carries on to be an NHL goalie. Based on what I've seen of him, he's got some NHL tools, but putting it together to be at that level just doesn't feel likely.

If any of our AHL goalies is involved in the pro team this year, it feels more likely to be Filip Lindberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad