Confirmed with Link: Alex Biega contract extension: 2 year deal, $1.5 million (AAV $750K)

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I watched him closely at the Sharks game on Sunday nite, partnered with Hammer.

Hammer was one of the 3 stars.

Biega (and Hammer) look like completely different defencemen when partnered with each other, as opposed to being saddled with Sbisa, Barts, or Weber.

Biega is a top-4 D IMO. For example, in the Sharks game he was going after guys who easily had 4-6 inches and 20lbs on him and more than holding his own. He can pick up the puck at speed and move with it at speed, and pick out lanes to make the pass. His shot is pretty decent too, quite an unusual technique with his right hand lower down the shaft than most and shooting from closer to his feet. You can see why it has power and stays low. Not sure how you can watch him play, then watch Weber-Barts-Sbisa play and think for a second that Bulldog should be scratched.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I watched him closely at the Sharks game on Sunday nite, partnered with Hammer.

Hammer was one of the 3 stars.

Biega (and Hammer) look like completely different defencemen when partnered with each other, as opposed to being saddled with Sbisa, Barts, or Weber.

Biega is a top-4 D IMO. For example, in the Sharks game he was going after guys who easily had 4-6 inches and 20lbs on him and more than holding his own. He can pick up the puck at speed and move with it at speed, and pick out lanes to make the pass. His shot is pretty decent too, quite an unusual technique with his right hand lower down the shaft than most and shooting from closer to his feet. You can see why it has power and stays low. Not sure how you can watch him play, then watch Weber-Barts-Sbisa play and think for a second that Bulldog should be scratched.

I don't think he's a top-4 on a true contender but he's a very good 5/6.

Hutton - Biega would make an excellent pairing next season, I think their games would complement each other.

The problem with our D pairings is that Sbisa is always in the way like a 3rd wheel you just can't get rid of. Our management and coaches will always put Sbisa ahead of Biega because of his size and "tools".

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don't think he's a top-4 on a true contender but he's a very good 5/6.

Hutton - Biega would make an excellent pairing next season, I think their games would complement each other.

The problem with our D pairings is that Sbisa is always in the way like a 3rd wheel you just can't get rid of. Our management and coaches will always put Sbisa ahead of Biega because of his size and "tools".

I could be sold on very good 5/6.

It was interesting in the Sharks game that Hutton was paired with Tanev (as an aside, Tanev is deceptively fast), Biega with Hammer and Sbisa got saddled with Weber. That is how I would do it too - put your garbage together, minimize how much they play, and pray their mistakes are offset by the rest of your team scoring 3 goals. It was working until about 15 minutes left in the game.

But wow, Weber was bad that nite. Sbisa, carrying Weber. Ouch.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Biega doesn't have an ounce of offense in him. He kills plays in the offensive zone with the majority of his touches and i'll disagree about his shot... I think it's a softball shot.

It's the primary reason he can't be utilized as a top 4 man... it's one reason, but a massively significant one.

I do like his improvement of picking his spot for rushing the puck.. he seems to know his limitations and plays on the safe side.. it's helped make him a reliable option and earned him his contract.
I see him completely as a low risk no reward type player... Ideal 6/7th for me.

I think overall he's been a perfect depth pickup for Benning and at good value.

Perfect situation for us next yr would be if our D prospects come thru and the other D perform well enough to bounce him out of the lineup...

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Biega doesn't have an ounce of offense in him. He kills plays in the offensive zone with the majority of his touches and i'll disagree about his shot... I think it's a softball shot.

It's the primary reason he can't be utilized as a top 4 man... it's one reason, but a massively significant one.

I do like his improvement of picking his spot for rushing the puck.. he seems to know his limitations and plays on the safe side.. it's helped make him a reliable option and earned him his contract.
I see him completely as a low risk no reward type player... Ideal 6/7th for me.

I think overall he's been a perfect depth pickup for Benning and at good value.

Perfect situation for us next yr would be if our D prospects come thru and the other D perform well enough to bounce him out of the lineup...

Fair enough. I don't agree about his shot - it is as hard as any on the D, other than maybe Edler who has issues with getting the shot off/getting it through, and Weber who has other issues.

Hammer brings less offense and I consider him a top-4 D. Tanev is not what I would consider an offensive D-man but again I would consider him top-4 D.

I will have to watch more closely when they have the puck in the offensive zone - agree with you that if he can't keep the play alive, then he is not a top-4. But I would want to see him with Hutton or Hammer rather than with Barts or Sbisa to get a good read. He looked excellent with Hammer the other night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad