Speculation: Ales Hemksy

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
We were tied to his name at the deadline, and reportedly almost had him.

Now that we got his former linemate Gagner from Edmonton, do you think that may persuade Hemsky even more to join us? Reports are that he's looking for somewhere around 5m per year, and the Yotes currently have about 8m left to spend. Say we shed off players salaries like Chipchura, Schlemko, and Korpikoski in a trade for a veteran shutdown defenseman (possibly Klinkhammer as well), getting to somewhere around 11.5m-13.5m , would you spend 5 on Hemsky? The remaining can be split, and spent on 3 bottom 6 forwards and a backup. Vitale (700k), Winnik 1.85m, Setoguchi (2.6m) OR D'agostini (cheaper option for 3rd LINE winger, 700k), Chad Johnson (1m).

I'd say do it, reunite Gags with Hemsky and make an extremely enticing 3rd line.

So something like this:

Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Domi - Hanzal - Erat
Setoguchi - Gagner - Hemsky
Winnik - Vitale - McMillan/Lessio
Crombeen

Michalek-OEL
TRADE-Yandle
Murphy-Gormley
(Summers-Stone)

Smith
Johnson

What do you guys think? Forgive me if my salary numbers are way off, it's late and going to cap geek right now seems like a real chore. I really like this lineup. Maybe If we go a little over the set budget , ownership increases it just by 500k for the better of the team.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Hypothetically speaking, if it costs $5 million for Hemsky, and Vrbata can be had for the same price, I'd rather keep Vrbata, but if Vrbata's price is too high, I definitely wouldn't mind going after Hemsky.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hypothetically speaking, if it costs $5 million for Hemsky, and Vrbata can be had for the same price, I'd rather keep Vrbata, but if Vrbata's price is too high, I definitely wouldn't mind going after Hemsky.

Hemsky is younger, but has injury issues.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like this idea, Rabbit. I'd knit-pick the lines a bit where I think Domi's speed would be better suited for Boeds/Vermette, and I think Doan is better suited for Hanzal/Erat.

I'm not big on Setoguchi, so I'd try to double our money with Hemsky's old linemates and get Milan Michalek to play that left side. I like our chances of getting him at a discount to play with Z.

I don't think we can package our spare parts (Chip, Schlemko, Korpi, Klink, etc.) to bring in a D. But who knows, GMDM just traded a sixth rounder for a No. 2 centre.

As you mentioned, your salaries are a bit off (I think Vitale will cost closer to $1M). He's my choice for 4C, but if we can shed Korpi's salary, I'd much rather take the Korpi+Vitale dollars and sign Ott.

M. Michalek - Gagner - Hemsky
Domi - Vermette - Boedker
Doan - Hanzal - Erat
McMillan - Vitale (Ott?) - Crombeen
Szwarz

OEL - Z. Michalek
Yandle - Murphy
Gormley - Stone
Schlemko - Summers

Smith
Montoya

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I would only want Hemsky if we keep Vrbata and raise the budget. Hemsky would be a good replacement for Whitney and not for Vrbata. And it all depends on his asking price.
I also agree with SniperHF. I've been saying for the last 2 years that Korpi needs a center, Gags may be it.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I like this idea, Rabbit. I'd knit-pick the lines a bit where I think Domi's speed would be better suited for Boeds/Vermette, and I think Doan is better suited for Hanzal/Erat.

I'm not big on Setoguchi, so I'd try to double our money with Hemsky's old linemates and get Milan Michalek to play that left side. I like our chances of getting him at a discount to play with Z.

I don't think we can package our spare parts (Chip, Schlemko, Korpi, Klink, etc.) to bring in a D. But who knows, GMDM just traded a sixth rounder for a No. 2 centre.

As you mentioned, your salaries are a bit off (I think Vitale will cost closer to $1M). He's my choice for 4C, but if we can shed Korpi's salary, I'd much rather take the Korpi+Vitale dollars and sign Ott.

M. Michalek - Gagner - Hemsky
Domi - Vermette - Boedker
Doan - Hanzal - Erat
McMillan - Vitale (Ott?) - Crombeen
Szwarz

OEL - Z. Michalek
Yandle - Murphy
Gormley - Stone
Schlemko - Summers

Smith
Montoya

I actually like this lineup a lot better. Do you think we'd be able to afford this all?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I actually like this lineup a lot better. Do you think we'd be able to afford this all?

M. Michalek (3) - Gagner (3.33) - Hemsky (4.5)
Domi (.925) - Vermette (3.75) - Boedker (2.8)
Doan (5.05) - Hanzal (3.25) - Erat (2.25)
McMillan (.745) - Vitale (1) - Crombeen (1.15)
Swzarz (.633)

OEL (4) - Z. Michalek (4)
Yandle (5.5) - Murphy (.833)
Gormley (.81) - Stone (1.2)
Schlemko (1.275) - Summers (.575)

Smith (6)
Montoya (1)

Ribeiro buyout (1.94)

This comes out to a shade over $59.5M, so we're pretty tight up against our budget. It leaves virtually no wiggle for mid-season changes without moving out a roster player.

Having said that, I don't think it's totally unrealistic. Hemsky is asking for his current salary (5.5), so I don't think 4.5 is unreasonable, particularly if we can lure him with his old linemate in Gagner.

Milan Michalek is a bit tricky. His current salary is $6 million, so he'd be taking a substantial cut. I don't think anyone will give him $6M in free agency, but 4-4.5 is probably more realistic. Who knows though, maybe he really wants to play with his brother, and Z can put in a call. If we could flip Schlemko for a cheaper depth D (like, half Schlemko's contract), we can give that freed up money to Milan. We could also go with CJ over Monty and save a few 100k I think.

The other sticking point - I've discounted all of Korpikoski, Chipchura, and Klinkhammer. We'd need to move out all 3 with no dollars coming back.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Boston, Chicago and Philly will need to shed salary at some point as they are cap teams needing to sign additional players without monies to do so.

Players that would be available (we would of course be sending back Klinkhammer, Chipchura, Korpikoski)

Boston - Loui Eriksson, Marchand, Kelly
Chicago - Sharp, Bickell
Philly - Lecavalier, Schenn (Luke)

out of that group, If I'm Maloney, I'd try to get Sharp for Korpi. If not then Eriksson for Korpi...

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010

I'd prefer Hemsky.
Get new players in here, change the room a bit. Last two years haven't worked so something gotta give.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Boston, Chicago and Philly will need to shed salary at some point as they are cap teams needing to sign additional players without monies to do so.

Players that would be available (we would of course be sending back Klinkhammer, Chipchura, Korpikoski)

Chicago - Sharp, Bickell

out of that group, If I'm Maloney, I'd try to get Sharp for Korpi. If not then Eriksson for Korpi...

I don't see either of those guys being traded for Korpi. Chicago will be fine until next year. I don't think Chicago would be keen on retaining enough to make it worth our while on Bickell.

It sounds like Boston is fine giving Eriksson more time in the event they can't keep Iginla. We should kick the tires on Marchand. He had 25goals with next to no powerplay time and he can pk. He also has a non-stop motor (and another in his mouth, but ...). Kelly at a discount would be smart shopping in my book. Can PK, line up anywhere and has some sandpaper to his game.

I'd be fine with Lecavalier. They'd have to retain on Vinny to make it worth it, but I think he's still got something in the tank, and he's a big centerman who still has decent hands. Schenn is worth a kick of the tires, too. Obviously it depends on the price.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Chicago - Sharp, Bickell

I wonder if Sharp is available? Chicago is in desperate need of a 2C, but can't afford one with there current cap. With what Toews and Kane want for compensation, it will only get worse.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Chicago is in desperate need of a 2C, but can't afford one with there current cap.

They won their first cup with Sharp at center behind Toews. They could do it again if they were "desperate". I think they've done pretty well without a 2C. I'm not sure "desperate" is the right word. I think they'll cross their fingers for Teuvo before they deal their leading goal- and point-scorer from last year to plug a hole that doesn't really need plugging.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Unless Hemsky comes particularly cheap, I would prefer they go a different direction. I've admittedly never liked his game though, just way to perimeter and passive as hell. If the Coyotes were loaded with shooters that would change things but they're not and if Vrby doesn't come back, they basically don't have a single player with a shoot first mentality except maybe Doan.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I'd prefer Hemsky.
Get new players in here, change the room a bit. Last two years haven't worked so something gotta give.

I mean I get where you're coming from, but Hemsky has been much less productive than Vrbata over the last few years. He's scored 99 points over the last 3 years compared to Vrbata's 131 during that same time period, and 32 goals during that time as well compared to Vrbata's 57.

Hemsky has also only played 70+ games once since 2009-2010, not to mention he's also been criticized in Edmonton for his inconsistency, and perceived lack of effort at times.

I understand letting Vrbata walk if he asks too much, but if he and Hemsky cost the same, I'd much rather keep Vrbata, since we have no idea how Hemsky would fit in here, and acquiring him would be a lateral move at best, unless we can sign him for less than Vrbata will receive on the market.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I mean I get where you're coming from, but Hemsky has been much less productive than Vrbata over the last few years. He's scored 99 points over the last 3 years compared to Vrbata's 131 during that same time period, and 32 goals during that time as well compared to Vrbata's 57.

Hemsky has also only played 70+ games once since 2009-2010, not to mention he's also been criticized in Edmonton for his inconsistency, and perceived lack of effort at times.

I understand letting Vrbata walk if he asks too much, but if he and Hemsky cost the same, I'd much rather keep Vrbata, since we have no idea how Hemsky would fit in here, and acquiring him would be a lateral move at best, unless we can sign him for less than Vrbata will receive on the market.

I definitely think that Vrby will make more when it's said and done.

Most teams would prefer someone that have demonstrated more consistency. But with Hemsky, we may have some Edmonton connection with Gagner, some familiarity. Which may make this one of the better places for him to be, and he could be more productive here, since he will play a bigger role ES and on the PP here than most places he can land at.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Did Ganger spend some time on lines with Hemsky? If so, it almost makes me want Hemsky less because there obviously wasn't too much chemistry there. Either way, I have a feeling we would get out bid for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad