Recalled/Assigned: Aleksi Saarela recalled

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Middle 6 not doing anything so trying to give them a spark? Had a slow start of the year but seems to be slowly picking it up with 7 points in the past 8 games.
Saarela has always produced decent offence - had 54 points in 69 AHL games last year; 15 points in 17 AHL playoff games, the main issue with him has supposedly been "attitude". He's about to turn 23 in January; spent a few years in Liiga and two years in the AHL so he has more pro experience than someone like Tippett but more upside than a guy like Greco.
Same age as Malgin, speaking of whom, I wonder if this means they're about to send him down...

Reactions: harv33173

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Middle 6 not doing anything so trying to give them a spark? Had a slow start of the year but seems to be slowly picking it up with 7 points in the past 8 games.
Saarela has always produced decent offence - had 54 points in 69 AHL games last year; 15 points in 17 AHL playoff games, the main issue with him has supposedly been "attitude". He's about to turn 23 in January; spent a few years in Liiga and two years in the AHL so he has more pro experience than someone like Tippett but more upside than a guy like Greco.
Same age as Malgin, speaking of whom, I wonder if this means they're about to send him down...

Pointless in last 13 games and -8, so ya, I wouldn't be surprised..plus he's gotten some playing time on 2nd line and hasn't done anything with it.

The problem right now is that guys are getting comfortable. With Hawk being injured and our cap crunch we don't have healthy scratches waiting to get in, therefore, guys who are playing don't feel any pressure. We need some internal competition.

Edit: Just checked capfriendly...doesn't look like we need to make a corresponding move to make this work under cap. We couldn't call up Tippett as his cap hit is 110K higher than Saarela, which would have put us over I think.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Pointless in last 13 games and -8, so ya, I wouldn't be surprised..plus he's gotten some playing time on 2nd line and hasn't done anything with it.

The problem right now is that guys are getting comfortable. With Hawk being injured and our cap crunch we don't have healthy scratches waiting to get in, therefore, guys who are playing don't feel any pressure. We need some internal competition.

Edit: Just checked capfriendly...doesn't look like we need to make a corresponding move to make this work under cap. We couldn't call up Tippett as his cap hit is 110K higher than Saarela, which would have put us over I think

I was just wondering this. I know we are carrying one under the player limit, but with the cap situation I didn't think we call anyone up. If he's making less and his able to be called up as insurance, I don't see this as a problem right now.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Who do we have on D in the AHL that would replace them?

Keeper / Stillman. That's not the point. The BS if they bad they dont play. Hoffman keeps getting ice time eventho he is worthless if he's not shooting the puck

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Start of the season he looked so good. Thinking he's finally gotten it together only to vanish like everytime before. Time to give up?
Really thought he was proving me wrong earlier in the season but he just doesn't do enough out there.

Sure he's responsible-ish defensively and creates chances, but almost nothing comes from them. He also loses puck battles on the boards, something we already struggle with outside of the first line.

He's basically scoring at the same pace he was last year. 0 points in his last 13 games.....ya not good for a guy that should be contributing at least something offensively.

Last game he played just over 10 minutes and his TOI has been trending downwards lately. I suspect his time is up. It's a shame, you never want to see a guy fail, but there comes a time for everyone.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Does anyone have a report on how Saarela has been playing for Springfield? His numbers don't look that great to be honest.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Does anyone have a report on how Saarela has been playing for Springfield? His numbers don't look that great to be honest.
7 points in his last 8 games played. Maybe he was adjusting to the new team?

This kid has been touted as a serious potential NHLer, but as others have mentioned, his attitude has been a problem. He requested a trade out of Chicago's system, so he could have a chip on his shoulder going into tomorrow night.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Start of the season he looked so good. Thinking he's finally gotten it together only to vanish like everytime before. Time to give up?

He's had 3 years to put it together and our excuse the last few years was he was young, time to turn the page and doubt he is here next year. Tippett will be better than him in every way.

He started slow but a new team/system will do that, also he was pinned to 4th line a lot early and once bumped up with Tippett on 2nd line, those two hit it off and found some chemistry together. He's also played C for SPR as well, sometimes 1st or 2nd line C.

Reactions: pantherbot

panthersdu67

Oct 5, 2019
I think Malgin has been a bit unlucky tbh. His shot isn't very good so I didn't expect him to score much, or even shoot much, but he's able to carry the puck quite well and keep it moving around in the offensive end, which is a really good thing (especially compared to guys like hoffman and trocheck). Also he is a good passer and sets up some very nice plays, that for the most part, during his 13 game drought simply didn't turn into goals (hoffman, tro, vatrano, shooting wide mostly).

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
7 points in his last 8 games played. Maybe he was adjusting to the new team?

This kid has been touted as a serious potential NHLer, but as others have mentioned, his attitude has been a problem. He requested a trade out of Chicago's system, so he could have a chip on his shoulder going into tomorrow night.

Let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is. He keeps telling everyone he's an nhler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad