Jameson Olive: Aleksander Barkov still has a lot of talent to unleash for Panthers

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Florida Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo said it best when asked about teammate Aleksander Barkov during an in-depth interview with Hockey Central at Noon back in March.

"I don't think he knows how good he is still," said Luongo.

"Once he figures out that he can be one of the best in the league, it's going to be pretty scary."

He's certainly not alone in his assessment of Florida's prodigious centerman and anyone who watches Barkov on a regular basis can tell you they've seen glimpses of the monster hidden deep within the reticent 19-year-old just waiting to be unleashed.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/st...sander-barkov-offseason-player-profile-050915

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Florida Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo said it best when asked about teammate Aleksander Barkov during an in-depth interview with Hockey Central at Noon back in March.

"I don't think he knows how good he is still," said Luongo.

"Once he figures out that he can be one of the best in the league, it's going to be pretty scary."

He's certainly not alone in his assessment of Florida's prodigious centerman and anyone who watches Barkov on a regular basis can tell you they've seen glimpses of the monster hidden deep within the reticent 19-year-old just waiting to be unleashed.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/st...sander-barkov-offseason-player-profile-050915

Boy I sure hope you're right. But, at this point I feel like a lot of other fanbases think we're silly for pumping Barkov's tires so much with little reward. I know they might just look at his stats and write him off, but those "glimpses" we get need to be a mainstay in Barkov's third full season in the NHL if the "glimpses" are who this guy really is or just 1/4 of what we think he is.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Boy I sure hope you're right. But, at this point I feel like a lot of other fanbases think we're silly for pumping Barkov's tires so much with little reward. I know they might just look at his stats and write him off, but those "glimpses" we get need to be a mainstay in Barkov's third full season in the NHL if the "glimpses" are who this guy really is or just 1/4 of what we think he is.

The way his teammates and coaches talk about him, I have no doubt he's going to be a great player.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Hit the nail on the head. Those glimpses need to be who he is. And it would seem like it would not take much effort from him either, because when he shows those moments, it looks like he can do it in his sleep.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

I wish hockey had better advanced stats like baseball. His defense probably saved 10 goals over the average player.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hit the nail on the head. Those glimpses need to be who he is. And it would seem like it would not take much effort from him either, because when he shows those moments, it looks like he can do it in his sleep.

I think its just a matter of confidence, not effort. Like Lu said, once Barky puts the big boy pants on, he's going to tear the league a new one. I think having Jagr around is really going to expedite this, and we've already seen Barkov play that way with more regularity since Jagr came aboard.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I have very high expectations for him, but have to remember that the guy is 19y two way center. He can and will be a Selke finalist. But this will take some time.

As a Finn I hope he can get the max out of his body and help/carry us in the Olympics as much as possible.

He's a beautiful player to watch.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I have very high expectations for him, but have to remember that the guy is 19y two way center. He can and will be a Selke finalist. But this will take some time.

As a Finn I hope he can get the max out of his body and help/carry us in the Olympics as much as possible.

He's a beautiful player to watch.

This is what people have to remember too. He's 19 years old. It's easy to forget that sometimes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is what people have to remember too. He's 19 years old. It's easy to forget that sometimes.

It would be a lot quicker if he was a pure goal scorer, but I always think that it takes longer for Selke players to get that max potential, but what a beast he has been for us in this tournament, does good for his progression.
Taking the lead at 19y :handclap:

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
It would be a lot quicker if he was a pure goal scorer, but I always think that it takes longer for Selke players to get that max potential, but what a beast he has been for us in this tournament, does good for his progression.
Taking the lead at 19y :handclap:

He was by far the best player on the ice against Russia. And there were players like Kovalchuk, Malkin and alike playing too... He's just got so balanced skillset, even looks pretty fast nowadays. And those takeaways... Just sexy :naughty:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He was by far the best player on the ice against Russia. And there were players like Kovalchuk, Malkin and alike playing too... He's just got so balanced skillset, even looks pretty fast nowadays. And those takeaways... Just sexy :naughty:

Awesome to hear. Thanks guys.

shane1342o

Jan 18, 2015
South Florida/UCF

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yep, loved his game, he's like Bergeron but with hands. Seems to do everything right especially when it comes to D-play, the points will come soon.

He's a team player(shows in points, defense 1st) and taking the lead at 19y which I love.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Barkov seems to be the best on ice leader team Finland has had since prime Saku Koivu. Once Russia had made finland panic Barkov started to keep the puck, slow the Game down and flat out dominated against Malkin. His calm composure started to affect the team and What seemed to be Russias game turned to be quite even. Barkov With 1+1 and named the best Player of the game.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Barkov seems to be the best on ice leader team Finland has had since prime Saku Koivu. Once Russia had made finland panic Barkov started to keep the puck, slow the Game down and flat out dominated against Malkin. His calm composure started to affect the team and What seemed to be Russias game turned to be quite even. Barkov With 1+1 and named the best Player of the game.
Yes but he's no Hanifin. :sarcasm:

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Yes but he's no Hanifin. :sarcasm:

HahaNice.gif

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Discussed about this with my friends actually (while watching the game). Barkov made Malkin look nearly invisible. There's always the possibility that Russia didn't want to win on rather chose Sweden in the quaters. Also need to keep in mind that Russia's propably has the worst team play in the world. When you look at their roster and compare it to Finland's you go hey, there's not a chance in the world... Then you see them on ice and it's a whole another story. From Russia's squad Panarin really impressed though, you could see that he really wanted to be on the stage (heading to the Hawks next season).

But yeah Barkov is impressing and what's most interesting about him is you can't really tell where his ceiling is at, at all. In a few more years he should be a Selke candidate but really hard to tell what else. He's just unique and holds tons of untapped sources of potential. Jagr will drain it out of him, so the Panthers will have to pray for Jagr remain at this level for just a few more seasons.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Barkov looks so good on the big ice.

All Finnish players have taken so long to adapt. I think only Selanne (at age 22) had a better than average rookie year in the NHL and all others have more or less disappointed before becoming serviceable (Saku Koivu already on his sophomore season though).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad