Alec Martinez

Would you be interested in signing Alec Martinez this offseason?

• Total voters

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
In the short-term future, the left side of the Red Wings defense looks very bleak.

The injuries have clearly taken their toll on Danny Dekeyser, I wouldn't be shocked if he spends much of the last year of his deal on LTIR.

Patrik Nemeth is a pending UFA, and hasn't quite met the standard of play he set for himself last year.

Marc Staal is also a pending UFA, and while he maybe hasn't been as frustrating as some fans expected, I wouldn't say he's a priority for the Red Wings moving forward.

Jon Merrill is yet another pending UFA. Having just turned 29, the former Wolverine is possibly the most likely of this group to re-sign in Detroit.

Pending RFA Christian Djoos has been in and out the the Red Wings lineup, and '16 1st rounder Dennis Cholowski appears to be planted firmly in Jeff Blashill's doghouse. None of the Red Wings' LHD prospects (Albert Johansson, Jared McIsaac, William Wallinder, etc.) seem poised to make Detroit's roster for the '22 season.

33-year-old Rochester Hills native Alec Martinez has played well (22pts in 37 games) during his brief stint in Vegas, and local media has praised his mentorship role in the development of young blueliners like Shea Theodore. With the Golden Knights pressed against the salary cap, it's not clear that they'll be able to re-sign Martinez.

I think that Martinez would be a great mentor for young blueliners like Moritz Seider and Filip Hronek, while providing a stopgap while our LHD prospects develop. At 33 years old, I probably wouldn't offer more than a two-year contract, but the Red Wings' cap flexibility would permit Yzerman to offer Martinez a pretty good salary.

Is Alec Martinez a player you'd be interested in the Wings signing this offseason?

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think that Martinez would be a great mentor for young blueliners like Moritz Seider and Filip Hronek, while providing a stopgap while our LHD prospects develop. At 34 years old, I probably wouldn't offer more than a two-year contract, but the Red Wings' cap flexibility would permit Yzerman to offer Martinez a pretty good salary.

Is Alec Martinez a player you'd be interested in the Wings signing this offseason?

Is he really already 34?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I like Martinez. Wouldn't mind having him on our team. Sadly he would be our #1 D man, even considering his age indicated he should be on the downside of his career.

Considering there is still room to have kids on the roster AND sign Martinez. I like it.

I would especially like signing him to a 1 year deal and flipping his deal at the deadline for assets.
In order to make that work, we offer him a fair salary and all the ice time in the world to be a good Deadline deal.
However If I was Martinez, I would probably just sign with a contender in the first spot. So I still think we would have to overpay a little, and retain money in a deadline deal.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don’t mind signing veteran stop-gap players until we are ready to really compete. Need to expose our players to others who have some championship experience.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
In theory I think he would be a solid short term piece for the wings. Could add some stability and experience to a young and evolving blue line.

I haven’t paid much attention to him though, so part of me wonders if he’d be a little overwhelmed playing with our group.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In the short-term future, the left side of the Red Wings defense looks very bleak.

The injuries have clearly taken their toll on Danny Dekeyser, I wouldn't be shocked if he spends much of the last year of his deal on LTIR.

Patrik Nemeth is a pending UFA, and hasn't quite met the standard of play he set for himself last year.

Marc Staal is also a pending UFA, and while he maybe hasn't been as frustrating as some fans expected, I wouldn't say he's a priority for the Red Wings moving forward.

Jon Merrill is yet another pending UFA. Having just turned 29, the former Wolverine is possibly the most likely of this group to re-sign in Detroit.

Pending RFA Christian Djoos has been in and out the the Red Wings lineup, and '16 1st rounder Dennis Cholowski appears to be planted firmly in Jeff Blashill's doghouse. None of the Red Wings' LHD prospects (Albert Johansson, Jared McIsaac, William Wallinder, etc.) seem poised to make Detroit's roster for the '22 season.

33-year-old Rochester Hills native Alec Martinez has played well (22pts in 37 games) during his brief stint in Vegas, and local media has praised his mentorship role in the development of young blueliners like Shea Theodore. With the Golden Knights pressed against the salary cap, it's not clear that they'll be able to re-sign Martinez.

I think that Martinez would be a great mentor for young blueliners like Moritz Seider and Filip Hronek, while providing a stopgap while our LHD prospects develop. At 33 years old, I probably wouldn't offer more than a two-year contract, but the Red Wings' cap flexibility would permit Yzerman to offer Martinez a pretty good salary.

No.
I think it's kind of crazy to credit Martinez for Shea Theodore, who's been making great progress for years.

Also not interested in potentially overpaying for a 34-year-old whose stats are bolstered playing on a great team.

This season, some teams are going to have to cut bait with valuable players due to the flat cap.
I'd go that route rather than the overpay-so-so-UFAs route.

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
No.
I think it's kind of crazy to credit Martinez for Shea Theodore, who's been making great progress for years.

Also not interested in potentially overpaying for a 34-year-old whose stats are bolstered playing on a great team.

No one is doing that. I said that local media has praised his mentorship role in helping young players like Theodore. I don't think it's a wild suggestion that a two-time Cup winner with 600+ NHL games under his belt could be a good mentor for young defensemen. I think that's something teams like Buffalo have failed to address (although it's far from the only thing they've gotten wrong).

I don't love the idea of tossing Mo Seider into this roster and saying, "figure it out kid"

I get your second point though.

Reactions: Martinez

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Oh how far we have fallen.

No kidding. 15 years ago, we'd be treating this as a Jason Woolley signing. In 2021, this caliber of player would be a top pair defenseman.

I mean... yes? We used to be a good team, now we're a bad team. Way she goes boys.

Gotta start somewhere.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
To quote meself: "if he shows even the tiniest amount of consideration for a 2yr@5mil offer from us, then call that a win." But fully expect the Stralman response.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
To quote meself: "if he shows even the tiniest amount of consideration for a 2yr@5mil offer from us, then call that a win." But fully expect the Stralman response.

Fair point, but Stralman is from Timro and Martinez is from Rochester Hills.

If we throw in two years of free Lipuma's I think we can get Alec on board :sarcasm:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No one is doing that. I said that local media has praised his mentorship role in helping young players like Theodore. I don't think it's a wild suggestion that a two-time Cup winner with 600+ NHL games under his belt could be a good mentor for young defensemen. I think that's something teams like Buffalo have failed to address (although it's far from the only thing they've gotten wrong).

I don't love the idea of tossing Mo Seider into this roster and saying, "figure it out kid"

I get your second point though.

I just don't see Alec Martinez as all that great.
He's the type of guy who leaves Vegas, comes here, and suddenly looks very average and very overpaid.

A lot would depend on term/salary.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Unless SY does a shakeup Mantha for a #3/4 LD and/or doesn't resign Merrill...

Decent mentor for Seider & Hronek.

Cup x2 Vet.

$3.5-$4.5 or less & 1-2yrs max.

No NTC & signed with expectation set to be TDL bait both yrs (if signed for 2)

fills Top4, #4LD hole

Upgrades on last seasons Nemeth.

DDK (trade b/w now & TDL '22) -Hronek
Martinez-Seider
Merrill-Stecher
Lindstrom
Djoos

I go with 8D on roster, like this season.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I just don't see Alec Martinez as all that great.
He's the type of guy who leaves Vegas, comes here, and suddenly looks very average and very overpaid.

A lot would depend on term/salary.

Yeah I think that's fair.

I certainly don't think Martinez is some incredible blueliner or anything. I do think he's a legit top 4 LHD though. I think most fans would agree that Nemeth at 2 years 3 mil has been a solid stop gap for us, even though Nemeth hasn't been great this year.

I think Martinez is a clear step up from Nemeth on the ice, and my impression is that he brings better leadership as well. In the ballpark of 2 years 4 mil, I think it would be a good stop gap for us.

Reactions: MBH

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
We're not talking about Phil Kessel, you won't be able to bribe Alec with food.
phil-kessel-eats-hot-dogs-out-of-stanley-cup.jpg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No offence, but why does adding a 34 year old (July) make sense for us? Not saying he isn't good, but we should aim for younger defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad