Alec Martinez

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The sportsnet guys have been pulling things out of their ass about Vegas for the past 2 years. Anyone can see how tight their cap is next year and make a guess they won't find the space.

It's common practice to not distract players with contract talks during the playoffs.

We could have signed him since like November though. The fact that something hasn't been worked out tells me that they already have an idea what he's looking for and don't feel comfortable going that high or maybe that many years and he knows he can get it in free agency.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
We could have signed him since like November though. The fact that something hasn't been worked out tells me that they already have an idea what he's looking for and don't feel comfortable going that high or maybe that many years and he knows he can get it in free agency.

At one point in the offseason, Martinez had said he wasn't approached about a new contract. I don't think they ever planned on keeping him to push Whitecloud & Hague down the depth chart for 2 more years.

I definitely think they're not big on 2-3 years term and having 3-4 dmen in their 30s.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
At some point you have to rely on the young guys, the cap problems aren't going to go away. Not to mention he's been getting top 4 minutes for a long time in the NHL and his game isn't exactly low impact on his body. Good for him if he can get a nice contract as he's earned another payday but giving him a lot of term is just asking for trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad