Alec Martinez? (Thread from 2008)

LombardiTool

Jun 20, 2006
Fontana, Ca
www.glendoraemc.com
The best person to speak with about college prospects is moderator Oilers Chick. Very knowledgeable about the game and very approachable. Hopefully she will chime in. He was the #2 scoring defenseman in the CCHA.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Don't know alot about him and I was wondering if anyone else has some info on his style and where he projects to play next year. Does he have a shot with LA any time soon?

Here's what Oiler Chick had to say in previous posts:

A little about Martinez: He's developing into quite a nice offensive defenseman for the RedHawks. IMO, he's one of, if not the prettiest skater in all of college hockey (certainly amongst defensemen). His strides are incredibly smooth and with the added weight and strength that he put on last summer has added power without taking away any of that smoothless. He's a strength and conditioning All-American, which means he's pretty well-conditioned physically, although you probably wouldn't know it by looking at him with his hockey gear on.

...This past season, he was willing to shoot more and be more involved in plays, that resulted in not only more scoring coming from Alec but it also helped boost Miami's offensive numbers. He moves the puck extremely well, especially on the power play. He, along wtih Mitch Ganzak quarterback Miami's PP. His shot is pretty good and he can definitely get it on net. He led the RedHawks defensemen in scoring this past season. One area that really impressed me about Alec this past season was his consistency is the various areas of his game, but especially in being involved in the play. In his freshman, he was reluctant at times to join the play or help support the offensive rush. This past season, it was completely the opposite. Alec also takes very good care of his own and rarely did he make mistakes (such as turning over the puck) in the defensive zone. His skating BTW, also helps in his ability to move with the puck really well.

If there's one area where Alec could be more involved, I would say it's the physical side. He'll never become one of those so-called "tough guys", it's just not his style.

On top of that (I believe in the Breakfast with the GM transcript that CBGB did) there was mention that as far as defensive prospects go that Thomas Hickey and Alec Martinez were the most bona fide prospects that had a chance to make it to the NHL. I believe there was even a photo of Lombardi's Excel spreadsheet that had those two guys listed in a special box as well.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Thanks Primakov, I actually Pm'd Oilers Chick and you beat her to it.

Sounds like a decent prospect who doesn't get alot of hype. Does he play in Manchester next year? What his top end potential? Is he in the three to four range on the backend?

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Sounds like a decent prospect who doesn't get alot of hype. Does he play in Manchester next year? What his top end potential? Is he in the three to four range on the backend?

He doesn't need to be signed to a contract until August 15th of 2009, but I would guess that Lombardi would be open to the idea of signing him early to start and accelerate his professional development. Of course that all hinges on what Martinez wants to do. Seeing as he's a Junior at Miami-Ohio, maybe he wants to graduate with a degree or something -- it's hard to say, really.

If you look at the actual prospects at Manchester currently:

Joe Piskula
Drew Bagnall
Patrik Hersley

Then look at the guys who need to be signed this summer:

Joey Ryan
Paul Baier
Niclas Andersen
Johan Fransson

That's already 7 total there, so unless we're planning on letting some of those guys we need to sign in the summer leave as unsigned free agents there'll be a log jam that might require guys being assigned to the ECHL, which is always an option as well.

I think his career potential is anywhere from the three to six range with modest point totals in the 25 to 30 range. With everything I've read and heard about him I suspect his career and playing style will be very similar to Bret Hedican, which is not a negative as he's enjoyed a very long career at the NHL level.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Kopi, here's your reply

I really, really like Alec Martinez. He's a wonderful skater, has great hands, moves well with the puck, can put points on the board and makes really smart decisions.

One thing that has really impressed me about Alec this year is his improved defensive play. He's more aggressive in attacking the puck carrier as far as moving him off of the puck and his decisions in the defensive zone are smarter and quicker. The best part is that it hasn't taken anything away from what he can contribute offensively.

Because of his improved defensive play, he's developing into a well-rounded defenseman. I doubt that Alec will ever be the most physical guy out there, but he's very dependable on special teams (especially the power play) and he isn't a liability to team. He's also shown a knack for scoring timely goals too. As evidenced by what he did in the Mason Cup semi-final and championship games this weekend.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Martinez was actually a team mate of Teddy Purcell in Cedar Rapids USHL

Oshie10

Apr 8, 2007
Martinez

It's nice to see that he's had a great junior year for Miami of Ohio. FYI: He won the following awards this year:

CCHA Defensive Defenseman of the Year: Alec Martinez (Miami)
CCHA All-Conference First Team: Alec Martinez (Miami)

I posted this last June about Martinez.

Being a season ticket holder of the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, I got to watch Alec during the 2004-05 season. He was "hands down" our best defenseman that season. He never got burned by a speedy winger and plays great "positional" defense. He not extremely tall, but is very strong for his size. During his time in CR, he didn't score a lot for us, but when he did, he scored some BIG goals. I've got to watch about 5 of his games on tv (since he's now moved on to Miami of Ohio) and his offensive skills have definitely improved which is great because he does have an accurate shot. Don't expect him to be another Lubomir Visnovsky, but I could see Alec pumping in 10-15 goals a year, with a bunch of helpers. Overall, he's a stay-at-home defensemen, that will occasionally join the rush, and he'll rarely hurt your team. A top 3 D-Man when it's all said and done. It's a good thing that the Kings drafted him this year, because he would have been a hot free agent upon completing his college stint.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Don't know alot about him and I was wondering if anyone else has some info on his style and where he projects to play next year. Does he have a shot with LA any time soon?

Smooth skating, puck moving defenseman with good hands, and thus far, TWO STANLEY CUP victories, including the Cup winning goal in 2014!!!

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
CALLED IT (goal scored at 9:26pm):
1424273_10100931416505956_1852114513987183504_n.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Martinez is my guy. Almost jumped thru the ceiling. That's why he's the 100k guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad