Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Appleby is first in the AHL among rookie goalies in GAA and Save Percentage. Just throwing that out there. MBW needs to be the backup this season and lets see what Appleby is.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Appleby is first in the AHL among rookie goalies in GAA and Save Percentage. Just throwing that out there. MBW needs to be the backup this season and lets see what Appleby is.

Yep, Appleby is stepping up. MackBlack has time to develop.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/01/devils_ahl_coach_rick_kowalsky_evaluates_10_prospe.html#0

From Chere v2, Kowalsky's perspective on a few of our prospects. Here's The Lumberjack's

He's a young kid, and he's certainly green in a lot of areas. But he's another guy, like Miles Wood, an athletic freak of nature. The genetics on these guys is unbelievable. Sometimes that athletic ability takes over his goaltending style, and we want him to play in control a little more. Instead of two big saves, let's make it one boring save. It's been a bumpy ride for him at times, but he's gotten better and he's just a dream kid willing to learn. You can see the ability for him to be a good one is certainly there.

Very encouraging to me. Very, very encouraging.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I find those "conditioning" comments from Kowalsky about Quenneville rather curious.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Great piece.

Sounds like Kowalsky loves Quenneville.

How long before Rick starts getting NHL offers?

Yeah how often do you get to hear an AHL coach give a scouting report on the teams top young players?

Another area in which I'd like to see MSG do a piece. Such as an intermission report, or maybe a stand alone show in which they talk about the prospects of all 3 locals. Perhaps do one a month, or a quarterly report.

Also I wonder if the reporter brought up Wood, of if Kowalsky just has Wood on the brain. Glowingly talked about him while talking about guys other then him. Even when he doesn't actually mention Wood, like when talking about Q, there are inferences.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Yeah how often do you get to hear an AHL coach give a scouting report on the teams top young players?

Another area in which I'd like to see MSG do a piece. Such as an intermission report, or maybe a stand alone show in which they talk about the prospects of all 3 locals. Perhaps do one a month, or a quarterly report.

Also I wonder if the reporter brought up Wood, of if Kowalsky just has Wood on the brain. Glowingly talked about him while talking about guys other then him.

There was a separate article on Wood
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...ky_on_why_miles_woods.html#incart_river_index

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think our left side is going to feature Hall, Quenneville, and Wood for a long time

Don't forget McLeod, Zacha, Gignac, Blender and Rico.

Some of those guys, and maybe Q too, will be C's, but we do have a plethora of young C/LW's.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Don't forget McLeod, Zacha, Gignac, Blender and Rico.

Some of those guys, and maybe Q too, will be C's, but we do have a plethora of young C/LW's.

All promising in their own ways. Unfortunately most profile as middle6 and there isn't room for all. We know what Hall is and we need a reliable elite talent. I stuck with Wood and Q because they're both playing professionally at this point...Wood is showing off his potential and holding his own even if he needs refinement. Q's development has been remarkable considering what's been on expected of him. I think Zacha and McLeod (RH) stay at center. Blandisi seems like a bottom6 talent but I hope he proves me wrong. Gignac could upset the entire applecart but we have to see how he transitions to the pros. And Rico...love him, but his contract is up after 2 more seasons and the team needs defensemen. With his likely trade value and organizational depth, he might be the one to go.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
All promising in their own ways. Unfortunately most profile as middle6 and there isn't room for all. We know what Hall is and we need a reliable elite talent. I stuck with Wood and Q because they're both playing professionally at this point...Wood is showing off his potential and holding his own even if he needs refinement. Q's development has been remarkable considering what's been on expected of him. I think Zacha and McLeod (RH) stay at center. Blandisi seems like a bottom6 talent but I hope he proves me wrong. Gignac could upset the entire applecart but we have to see how he transitions to the pros. And Rico...love him, but his contract is up after 2 more seasons and the team needs defensemen. With his likely trade value and organizational depth, he might be the one to go.

Dang McLeod is a righty? Man I am slipping. Messed up on Gignac the other day too.

And sure most profile as middle 6, but if we are talking future LW's, well we don't need a #1 LW, while we are looking for 2 to solidify those middle spots.

Key is if just one of those guys, Zacha looks most likely, outside shot at McLeod, possibly maybe on Q, can fill the #1 C spot, if we can get a legit #1, then everything else should fall into place nicely.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Dang McLeod is a righty? Man I am slipping. Messed up on Gignac the other day too.

And sure most profile as middle 6, but if we are talking future LW's, well we don't need a #1 LW, while we are looking for 2 to solidify those middle spots.

Key is if just one of those guys, Zacha looks most likely, outside shot at McLeod, possibly maybe on Q, can fill the #1 C spot, if we can get a legit #1, then everything else should fall into place nicely.

Agree completely. I'm very bullish on our forward group. Shero might only need to add a RW and a top6 center. Best case, I'd like him to get a first line center. Even if Zacha becomes a 1C in ability, then we'd have 2 top centers. If he or no one else does, we're still covered on the top line.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I find those "conditioning" comments from Kowalsky about Quenneville rather curious.

Eh, he's playing against men for the first time, he got by on talent and never really had to put the work in off the ice probably. I'd imagine that's rather common.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought the lease in Albany went until 2018 or 2019?

I didn't read the article yet, but I'm assuming the move is not effective next year?

Title of article says next season, so I guess it is for next year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
No problem with them moving, but moving to another city that has not supported AHL hockey?

The lease has to be way cheaper. It seats a hell of a lot less. The article says Lou and Co didn't care about the financial aspect of playing in Albany because it was a really nice place with a NHL caliber locker room and training facility. Goes on to say the new owners actually care about the financials.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The lease has to be way cheaper. It seats a hell of a lot less. The article says Lou and Co didn't care about the financial aspect of playing in Albany because it was a really nice place with a NHL caliber locker room and training facility. Goes on to say the new owners actually care about the financials.

Which is a positive. 3000 people in a 15k seat arena looks like a ghost town. 3000 in a 6500 doesn't look terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad