Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk (2014-15 season) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Not sure Mcpherson got a fair shake either. Just the year before last he was one of Albany's better +/- defenders on the team. He took a step back last season but who knows what that could have been caused by. He never got a chance to play on the NHL team so we never got a look at him against NHL competition.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not sure Mcpherson got a fair shake either. Just the year before last he was one of Albany's better +/- defenders on the team. He took a step back last season but who knows what that could have been caused by. He never got a chance to play on the NHL team so we never got a look at him against NHL competition.

Look at his competition on the right side.

To me, it's a lot like when the Devils passed up on signing Curtis Gedig. Well they didn't really pass him up, he just chose to sign an NHL deal rather than the AHL deal offered to him. But the point being is we have too many bodies at defense.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Look at his competition on the right side.

To me, it's a lot like when the Devils passed up on signing Curtis Gedig. Well they didn't really pass him up, he just chose to sign an NHL deal rather than the AHL deal offered to him. But the point being is we have too many bodies at defense.

True, but it seems like all the other D-men we have in Albany are offensive d-men. He's one of the only Defensive D-men we have and he is pretty big. Just a shame to lose someone of that size who at least can skate.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
True, but it seems like all the other D-men we have in Albany are offensive d-men. He's one of the only Defensive D-men we have and he is pretty big. Just a shame to lose someone of that size who at least can skate.

Hulk and Hrabanka (however it's spelled) seem to be defensive D men. Hulk definitely is.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

It was 3 years ago now, but McPherson was hands down the worst defenseman I saw for Albany when I was following them during the lockout. He was plain awful almost every time I watched those games. It was 3 years ago though, he could have improved. I remember Kinkaid not looking too good there that season at times either.

Burlon just got lost on the depth chart. He might have been good enough to crack another team's lineup at some point, he's probably also better than that embarrassment to the sport Mark Fraser. Who the hell isn't?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, McPherson is not a loss. He was Albany's version of Matt Fraser. Clermont bothers me, though. He had a tough time in the ECHL, but he was a better goalie in his (extremely short) AHL career than Wedgewood's been.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, McPherson is not a loss. He was Albany's version of Matt Fraser. Clermont bothers me, though. He had a tough time in the ECHL, but he was a better goalie in his (extremely short) AHL career than Wedgewood's been.

I don't understand why they can't just roll a Wedgewood/Clermont tandem in Albany.

It doesn't look like Clemmensen is coming back, at least not as a player, and I doubt Brodeur is even offered a contract now. If Lou was still the man, he would have been offered a contract and likely been in Albany or the ECHL, but I don't think Shero is signing him.

Blackwood is not eligible for the AHL yet. Not sure who will be there along with Wedgewood next year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't understand why they can't just roll a Wedgewood/Clermont tandem in Albany.

It doesn't look like Clemmensen is coming back, at least not as a player, and I doubt Brodeur is even offered a contract now. If Lou was still the man, he would have been offered a contract and likely been in Albany or the ECHL, but I don't think Shero is signing him.

Blackwood is not eligible for the AHL yet. Not sure who will be there along with Wedgewood next year.

Agree.

Clermont played well for Albany even if it was for about 8 games.

He's not a NHL guy but I think he could be a quality AHL netminder.
Odd that he was not offered a contract.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Clermont was in the Devils organization for 4 years and never got a shot at being the regular AHL goalie. He was beaten out for a starting position in the ECHL this year. There's your answer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 38s38 seconds ago

Devils were interested in bringing back Joe Whitney, but it turns out he will be going "in another direction", Ray Shero said

Little disappointing, but oh well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 38s38 seconds ago

Devils were interested in bringing back Joe Whitney, but it turns out he will be going "in another direction", Ray Shero said

Little disappointing, but oh well.

Whitney going overseas? He can probably get a nice payday if he does. Would be a smart move on his part.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
It was 3 years ago now, but McPherson was hands down the worst defenseman I saw for Albany when I was following them during the lockout. He was plain awful almost every time I watched those games. It was 3 years ago though, he could have improved. I remember Kinkaid not looking too good there that season at times either.

Burlon just got lost on the depth chart. He might have been good enough to crack another team's lineup at some point, he's probably also better than that embarrassment to the sport Mark Fraser. Who the hell isn't?

Burlon's still signed and will get a look at camp. He continues to improve and a new coach might still see enough to give him a shot. There's a tendency to write players off far too soon; a frame of mind that sees players as fated to be what they'll be and that you should be able to identify them at the draft.

In fact players can continue their development into their late twenties and beyond and many of the Devs' recent problems are due to a sub-par developmental system, not simply poor youth identification.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No Whitney?

Sigh.

He's better than Zubrus

Who isn't? Other than Sestito, Sislo, Cam?

I'm annoyed we wasted so much time on ****ty call ups like Sestito and ****slo.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Burlon's still signed and will get a look at camp. He continues to improve and a new coach might still see enough to give him a shot. There's a tendency to write players off far too soon; a frame of mind that sees players as fated to be what they'll be and that you should be able to identify them at the draft.

In fact players can continue their development into their late twenties and beyond and many of the Devs' recent problems are due to a sub-par developmental system, not simply poor youth identification.

Based on what? You can't make a claim like that and not give some sort of example or back it up at all...That AHL system did produce Parise and Henrique. It looks like it developed Matteau based on what we saw at the end of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad