GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
No conference = no readily available opponents
Terrible geography = insane travel budget
Pandemic-related issues = no revenue for the foreseeable future

Sadly, the writing is on the wall.

So, that's why I don't understand their desire to stay as a hockey program besides the minimum 10 athletic programs.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
So, that's why I don't understand their desire to stay as a hockey program besides the minimum 10 athletic programs.

It is the same as a lot of D2 schools with D1 hockey teams: it is the <<flagship>> of the athletics program. To lose that is to lose a lot of school pride and investment since it is the school's most-followed team. Hockey, at least in theory, puts their school on a map, like other D2 schools with D1 hockey. Without a D1 hockey program, no one would ever know schools like Clarkson, Bemidji State, Alabama-Huntsville, Lake Superior State, and St. Cloud State just to name a few. There is no football team at most of these schools. There are no college football programs in Alaska. Alaska is culturally a cold-weather sports area and hockey has been an established and popular sport in the state for a long time. And besides two two NAHL teams in the state, there is no other competition at all for hockey fans. That is further eyes lost.

Whether the desire having that school pride, national marketability, and everything else that comes with possessing a NCAA D1 team is actually worthwhile financially is another matter entirely.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

It is the same as a lot of D2 schools with D1 hockey teams: it is the <<flagship>> of the athletics program. To lose that is to lose a lot of school pride and investment since it is the school's most-followed team. Hockey, at least in theory, puts their school on a map, like other D2 schools with D1 hockey. Without a D1 hockey program, no one would ever know schools like Clarkson, Bemidji State, Alabama-Huntsville, Lake Superior State, and St. Cloud State just to name a few. There is no football team at most of these schools. There are no college football programs in Alaska. Alaska is culturally a cold-weather sports area and hockey has been an established and popular sport in the state for a long time. And besides two two NAHL teams in the state, there is no other competition at all for hockey fans. That is further eyes lost.

Whether the desire having that school pride, national marketability, and everything else that comes with possessing a NCAA D1 team is actually worthwhile financially is another matter entirely.

^^^^ Like I said: It's emotional.

Not to mention the other simple fact that no coach or athlete especially wants to see their program get cut, no matter what level it is.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
University of Alaska regents give Anchorage hockey and gymnastics teams more time to fundraise

By Tegan Hanlon, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage - February 25, 2021

The University of Alaska Board of Regents agreed Thursday to reinstate Anchorage’s hockey and gymnastics teams as long as they reach their fundraising goals by new, extended deadlines.

UA leaders applauded the sports programs for raising a big chunk of the money so far.

“I’m so excited about this, the momentum,” said UA Interim President Pat Pitney. “The community support has been just remarkable.” ...

Read more at: University of Alaska regents give Anchorage hockey and gymnastics teams more time to fundraise - Alaska Public Media

But it's a two-fer deal. From the Board's 25 Feb 2021 Agenda document linked in the article above ...
...MOTION #2
“The Board of Regents approves the reinstatement of men’s hockey at the University of Alaska Anchorage to begin play with the 2022-2023 athletic season, contingent upon supporters raising private funding to cover two years of operating expenses ($3,000,000) by August 30, 2021. In the event the funding goal is not met as required, hockey will not be reinstated.

Concurrently, and as a condition of maintaining Title IX compliance, UAA Gymnastics must meet its conditions for program reinstatement, presented separately, in order for UAA Hockey to continue beyond the 2022-2023 season. This motion is effective February 25, 2021.” ...

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So as of 2/25/21

Here's a rough estimate of where things stand according to this press release: BOR extends fundraising deadlines for gymnastics and hockey teams - University of Alaska Anchorage

"The outpouring of support for the gymnastics and hockey teams has inspired hope in the possibility these athletic programs may yet survive and thrive at UAA, provided fundraising goals are met. For gymnastics, that means raising $444,000 by June 30, 2021 to cover the 2021-2022 athletic season. Reinstatement beyond 2021-2022 means supporters must raise an additional year of operating expenses by June 30, 2022.
Hockey will pause for a year to allow for planning, recruitment, scheduling and — most importantly — a move toward a self-sustaining and community-supported model. Supporters must raise $3 million in funds by Aug. 30, 2021, covering two years of operating expenses. To date, they have raised $1,563,183"

I personally still think it'll be a tough go for both programs moving forward even with immediate and long term goals met. I also feel for the hockey coaching staff that will have to essentially recruit a full team in a year from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What's the best place to view the totals raised for both hockey and gymnastics so far?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What's the best place to view the totals raised for both hockey and gymnastics so far?
The SaveSeawolfHockey.com web page has a "Gifts as of March" tally near the bottom. I don't know if the other affected UAA sports programs (women's gymnastics, men's & women's skiing) have similar 3rd-party funding drives, nor did I bother searching. I reckon you'd have to gather data from multiple sources to satisfy your curiosity.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The SaveSeawolfHockey.com web page has a "Gifts as of March" tally near the bottom. I don't know if the other affected UAA sports programs (women's gymnastics, men's & women's skiing) have similar 3rd-party funding drives, nor did I bother searching. I reckon you'd have to gather data from multiple sources to satisfy your curiosity.
Thanks, I was searching the athletics website to see if there comprehensive totals for all programs, couldn't find anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad