Confirmed with Link: Alaska Aces are new Calgary Flames ECHL Affiliate

IrascibleOne

Sep 14, 2005
Anchorage, AK
Ward is the only reason I wasn't thrilled to learn of this affiliation yesterday. While I'm not a Flames fan (Detroit... sorry), I have respect for the organization as a whole. I think it could be exciting to be affiliated with a team that's in a rebuilding phase, where a lot of young prospects could be moving back and forth. Ward's reputation precedes him, though. As for Ftorek taking his place... is this just wishful thinking, or a real possibility?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ward is the only reason I wasn't thrilled to learn of this affiliation yesterday. While I'm not a Flames fan (Detroit... sorry), I have respect for the organization as a whole. I think it could be exciting to be affiliated with a team that's in a rebuilding phase, where a lot of young prospects could be moving back and forth. Ward's reputation precedes him, though. As for Ftorek taking his place... is this just wishful thinking, or a real possibility?

Ftorek has been named his assistant, but by all accounts seems to be a better coach overall. Last time we had a move like this, Feaster was named Darryl Sutter's assistant GM.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Ftorek has been named his assistant, but by all accounts seems to be a better coach overall. Last time we had a move like this, Feaster was named Darryl Sutter's assistant GM.

Then why not just fire Ward now and send him on his way? Seems kind of cruel to keep a person around if the organization knows change is coming at that position.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Then why not just fire Ward now and send him on his way? Seems kind of cruel to keep a person around if the organization knows change is coming at that position.

It's a probably contingency, I'd say. They are going to ask him to change his style this year, so they don't really know whether he'll be good or bad at it. If he doesn't adapt well, they have a back-up plan.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It's a probably contingency, I'd say. They are going to ask him to change his style this year, so they don't really know whether he'll be good or bad at it. If he doesn't adapt well, they have a back-up plan.

In my work experience when someone is asked to make changes to how they do things and relate to people they may as well pack it in - especially if their replacement is already hired and literally standing next to them. It happens but not often enough for me to buy into it as a management practice. If things aren't working they aren't working and the damage is probably done.

Why not just hand the reins to Ftorek and get it over with?

Last edited:

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I can just picture the meeting Feaster has with Howse and Wahl. "So boys, have you ever wished you could see Russia from your house? Because I got a roster spot right here that might interest ya."

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
In my work experience when someone is asked to make changes to how they do things and relate to people they may as well pack it in - especially if their replacement is already hired and literally standing next to them. It happens but not often enough for me to buy into it as a management practice. If things aren't working they aren't working and the damage is probably done.

Why not just hand the reins to Ftorek and get it over with?

Feaster kept Butter around too, even though it clearly wasn't working. Maybe he's a soft manager?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Feaster kept Butter around too, even though it clearly wasn't working. Maybe he's a soft manager?
Or maybe ownership didn't want to pay a coach not to coach. They paid Keenan for 1 or 2 years after he was fired, plus they paid Sutter on top of it. It is entirely plausible that Feaster was asked to let Sutter "play out" his contract

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Or maybe ownership didn't want to pay a coach not to coach. They paid Keenan for 1 or 2 years after he was fired, plus they paid Sutter on top of it. It is entirely plausible that Feaster was asked to let Sutter "play out" his contract

You're probably right but the question is why? Do AHL coaches make that much money that owners keep them around when they should be gone? The money owing on Ward's remaining contract is probably chump change in the overall financial workings of the organization.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I can just picture the meeting Feaster has with Howse and Wahl. "So boys, have you ever wished you could see Russia from your house? Because I got a roster spot right here that might interest ya."

I thought Wahl signed in Europe or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad