News Article: Alain Vigneault retires from coaching

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
2015 and 2017 leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Those teams underperformed and he was the culprit. I don't think they beat the Pens in 17, but 15 is the one that is tough.

2014 was magical, but those two seasons ruin the AV experience.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That was always going to be a tough matchup for us. I still firmly believe had Chicago finished off LA we'd have won that Cup. Sometimes the matchups just don't work. LA outplayed us. We could have won, sure. A couple bounces, Nash doesn't miss, etc.

Reminds me of the Mets in the WS a few years ago. Toronto was the matchup you really wanted. KC was like the Mets' kryptonite. Same for LA--they just played a game that was going to be tough for us to counter.

I respect AV for what he did here. I'm surprised he wasn't able to win one in his career, but it is what it is.
That 2014-15 team was even better and were way ahead of the curve in the current NHL of attacking teams off the rush. There were points in that season where they literally scored at will because teams couldn't stop them through the neutral zone. That team would've cakewalked to the Cup if it weren't for the freak Zucc incident, Ovi breaking Klein's wrist in the last minute of a game because he was being a dumb ass and shooting a puck from the neutral zone. McDonagh and Staal playing through those injuries finally took their toll against Tampa too.

I miss the nostalgia of those teams. It was way more fun to be around here then. f*** 2015-17 to hell and back again though. Staal-Holden against Ottawa still gives me nightmares.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Any references to this occuring?

That last press conference AV spent a lot of time chronicling his successes (and legacy), but I don't remember any editing storyline.
He got sacked after a game vs the Flyers in Philly. His post game media was never posted by the team and both Sean Hartnell and Matt Calamia (spelling there) mentioned that his whole media scrum was bizarre

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He got sacked after a game vs the Flyers in Philly. His post game media was never posted by the team and both Sean Hartnell and Matt Calamia (spelling there) mentioned that his whole media scrum was bizarre
There was something along the lines of him presenting, unsolicitedly, several reasons why he should still remain head coach, like he foresaw his firing

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
There was something along the lines of him presenting, unsolicitedly, several reasons why he should still remain head coach, like he foresaw his firing
This was a man desperately pleading his case, having spent at least the past few days accumulating all the history, stats, anecdotes and any other shreds of evidence necessary to defend himself against the rising pitchforks.

Then Rangers coach Alain Vigneault stood and delivered his autobiographical soliloquy, a postgame press conference Saturday afternoon following a 5-0 loss to the Flyers in the regular-season finale that was an inspired declaration of his worth to the organization.

Vigneault was making sure that if this was his last stand, everyone was going to know that he thought he did a great job. And if he was going to be fired, it was going to be a big mistake — just as it was when he was fired from his two previous NHL head-coaching jobs in Montreal and Vancouver.

And this is how he responded when asked if he expects to be back with the Rangers next season:

“Yes, yes, without a doubt,” Vigneault said. “I think my staff is the right staff for this job. I think, and this is just my opinion, but I think one of the strongest assets of this organization is its coaching staff and their experience. We’ve been able to do it with veteran players, we’ve been able to do it with younger players. Our development record — and our record, wins and losses — you know what, it’s pretty good, with young and older players.”

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
A guy who road the coat tails of the best, and quite possibly second best goaltenders of the past twenty years, had good teams, and still managed to contrive to bugger things up royally.

As annoying and frustrating as 2014 and 2015 are, that series against Ottawa still grinds my gears. An opportunity presents itself when we perhaps didn't still expect it - infact, quite possibly an amazing opportunity given the comparable opposition in the two earlier runs - and he displays quite possibly his worst piece of coaching while with us to get us punted out to Erik Karlsson and friends.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
similar to Gallant, but better and a lot more likeable. 1st coach that was fired before he overstayed his welcome in a long time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

What is your favorite memory of AV beides Good Looks and playing Tanner Glass over Buchnevich lol

Pavel's first crack at the Rangers happened in 2016-17. That was a season that Glass spent mostly in Hartford only playing 11 games towards the end of the year with the Rangers. Buchnevich who was very skinny and scrawny his rookie season suffered through a number of injuries including a pretty bad back injury and the Rangers held him out for some time to build up his core strength. That was also Glass's last year with the Rangers I believe and I think you need to try harder to find someone else who may have blocked Buchnevich from getting playing time quicker than he did keeping in mind it took a bit of time for Pavel to get his conditioning up to snuff.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Very enjoyable regular seasons, teams that you could get on board with and root for pretty easily. We played some enjoyable stuff that was as others said, slightly ahead of its time compared to the past five or so years. Some good memorable playoff moments, but overall I feel like asset mismanagement and poor contract investments is the lingering stench that will forever hangover that era.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
You guys are tough. Nice man. Good career. One of very few coaches to reach the cup finals with 2 different teams. Hope he enjoys his retirement.
All joking aside, he was more successful at his chosen profession than almost all of the posters on this board and the populace at large. Pretty good for him. Hope he enjoys the fall and winter of his life as well.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
A lot of hate for former coaches who overall did pretty well.

Renney, Torts, AV.

They all did well. They all had their faults and they were all dismissed at the proper time but really we shouldn't hate any of them

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Renney, Torts, AV.

They all did well. They all had their faults and they were all dismissed at the proper time but really we shouldn't hate any of them
We had 2 of our best years ever under AV. A 2014 cup finals and a 2015 Presidents Trophy.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Renney, Torts, AV.

Torts should have never been fired. Nothing but love for him.

Renney was a good guy, and helped this team get to a level that no one thought they could.

As for Av, I give him credit for helping this team get close in 14 and 15, but after that the magic was gone. Mostly because the team had been burnt out by Torts, and Av got the last drops out of them

Reactions: yrrebbor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad