News Article: Alain Vigneault retires from coaching

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

What is your favorite memory of AV beides Good Looks and playing Tanner Glass over Buchnevich lol

Favorite memory is the Nick Holden -- Marc Staal pairing.

I kid. It is the gum-chewing.

I kid again. It is definitely the 2014 Cup run. People would not like to admit, but he did make the team play faster and the stretch-passing game was ahead of the competition at the time. But he also steered the franchise toward a finesse style that was overmatched by LA and from which it is still struggling to get out today.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Never saw it as us choking. Thought that team played above their heads before some bad puck luck and bad ref calls made it too hard to overcome a very good LA team.

I say it was, they up going to the 3rd period in Games 2 and 5 and classic AV style, they turtling to hold on to lead instead of playing their normal game. It’s a completely different series if they win those games.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I say it was, they up going to the 3rd period in Games 2 and 5 and classic AV style, they turtling to hold on to lead instead of playing their normal game. It’s a completely different series if they win those games.
They had a 1 goal lead in game 5. If every team that let up a 1 goal lead choked then every team is a choker. LA also started that game with a 1 goal lead. That 2014 team is one of my favorites of all time. NOt only were we not favorites in that series but we were underdogs much of the playoffs. In fact a month in to that season there was a long thread on this board saying we should tank the season.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That was always going to be a tough matchup for us. I still firmly believe had Chicago finished off LA we'd have won that Cup. Sometimes the matchups just don't work. LA outplayed us. We could have won, sure. A couple bounces, Nash doesn't miss, etc.

Reminds me of the Mets in the WS a few years ago. Toronto was the matchup you really wanted. KC was like the Mets' kryptonite. Same for LA--they just played a game that was going to be tough for us to counter.

I respect AV for what he did here. I'm surprised he wasn't able to win one in his career, but it is what it is.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
To this day i still wonder what he said in his final press conference after his last game that caused the team to never release it.

Even the beat writers who were there and recorded it never released it because it was wild.

Any references to this occuring?

That last press conference AV spent a lot of time chronicling his successes (and legacy), but I don't remember any editing storyline.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
They had a 1 goal lead in game 5. If every team that let up a 1 goal lead choked then every team is a choker. LA also started that game with a 1 goal lead. That 2014 team is one of my favorites of all time. NOt only were we not favorites in that series but we were underdogs much of the playoffs. In fact a month in to that season there was a long thread on this board saying we should tank the season.

My point is that AV’s gameplan in those 3rd periods to sit back instead trying to extend the lead and/or finish the game is why they choked. Even if had won Games 2 and 5, there is no guarantee they win the series, but it would’ve been fun to see that series go the distance. That’s why I much I enjoyed that run, that SCF and 2015 ECF still leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00