OT: Al Trautwig

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Watched MSGnetwork for as long as I can remember, and Al was a huge part of my MSG.

It seemed like he was reallyyyy dealing with something the last times he was on air, and MSG seemed to cut ties with him pretty fast

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about his health or otherwise. I Can't find anything online

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Watched MSGnetwork for as long as I can remember, and Al was a huge part of my MSG.

It seemed like he was reallyyyy dealing with something the last times he was on air, and MSG seemed to cut ties with him pretty fast

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about his health or otherwise. I Can't find anything online
Last i heard, they announced his contract hadn’t been renewed. And the speculation here was that there was something more to it, since MSG didn’t really say anything more. Had he been unwell or otherwise just wanted to retire after 40 years, you’d have expected something in the form of a nice send off or even a thank you.

Reactions: Jim Ramsay

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Yup. It wasn't a good ending. Usually after someone spends so much time at one place like Al did at MSG they give them a nice sendoff. Since they didn't I can only assume it wasn't a pretty divorce.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I usually don’t care about the behind-the-scenes stuff. It’s usually pretty mundane or blown out of proportion. But I would truly like to know what happened in Al’s case. I like him, even though he wasn’t the most impressive or impactful journalist around, he was one of our guys, for so long. I miss him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He’s 65 years old and has been doing this in various media for 40 years anyway. I’m sure if I met him I’d like him but I don’t think he was particularly great at his job or all that knowledgeable about hockey. He was more of a cheerleader and somewhat prone to making embarrassing gaffes.

We also don’t know if something very negative happened that MSG cut ties with him or it could be a health issue that made it impossible for him to continue in the role he had and whether or not he thinks so. Being retired I will say that the best thing is to go into retirement gracefully. Also good to have some hobbies to keep you occupied.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
It seemed like addiction to me, looked like maybe he was dabbling in something rather than a disease than hindered his ability to work

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It seemed like addiction to me, looked like maybe he was dabbling in something rather than a disease than hindered his ability to work

It definitely seemed like it may have been something along these lines, but you hate to speculate in the event that you’re wrong. I really hope that he figures things out if he does have a problem. Either way I hope he’s healthy and enjoying retirement. I wouldn’t say he was particularly great at his job but it was nice seeing the familiar face. It was sad losing JD and it’ll suck losing Sam too when the time comes. For whatever reason I’ve never taken to Michaletti and Giannone/Pidto do nothing for me. The best thing about Pidto is the guy who goes around here as “Pidto Files.” It cracks me up every time I see it.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It definitely seemed like it may have been something along these lines, but you hate to speculate in the event that you’re wrong. I really hope that he figures things out if he does have a problem. Either way I hope he’s healthy and enjoying retirement. I wouldn’t say he was particularly great at his job but it was nice seeing the familiar face. It was sad losing JD and it’ll suck losing Sam too when the time comes. For whatever reason I’ve never taken to Michaletti and Giannone/Pidto do nothing for me. The best thing about Pidto is the guy who goes around here as “Pidto Files.” It cracks me up every time I see it.
I basically like them all. Particularly the ones who have been around a good long time. The continuity and comfort does it for me.

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I basically like them all. Particularly the ones who have been around a good long time. The continuity and comfort does it for me.

Id like to see them integrate a relatively newly retired Ranger or two who have fun and engaging personalities (somebody who left in the last 10 years or so.) I think Valley does a nice job for the most part. I’d imagine there’s only so many guys who continue living in the area post retirement who would be interested. I’d like to see more of PG Spittin Chiclets guy or two added to the group.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Id like to see them integrate a relatively newly retired Ranger or two who have fun and engaging personalities (somebody who left in the last 10 years or so.) I think Valley does a nice job for the most part. I’d imagine there’s only so many guys who continue living in the area post retirement who would be interested. I’d like to see more of PG Spittin Chiclets guy or two added to the group.
I think the Mets and SNY have it pretty much figured out. They have a great mix of ex-players and professional announcers.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I liked Al, he was a character and more that once had some weird interviews between periods.

People who are staples at their jobs tend to get a good sending off, either through a farewell message from co-hosts during a live show, a grateful message posted from the network, or literally any sign of respect to a long term colleague.

Now, its entirely possible that MSG Network is simply a very classless and poor employer with management who lack any type of decorum. So it's either that, or something happened that rises to the level of employment termination, to which we only can, but should not, speculate.

If it's not option #2, then it has to be option #1, and that reflects incredibly poorly on MSG IF that is the case.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Was that a sneeze??

It was a brutal call :sarcasm:

MSG is weird when it comes to departures. A good handful of Ranger legends that don't get acknowledged until decades later. Amirante kicked to the curb without so much as a goodbye (until everyone made it known they were a little miffed over that). Unsurprising that Al has faded into the sunset without a peep from MSG.

The simple/public explanation for his departure could just be called health-related issues, even if it was some "ugly" break-up under whatever circumstances. They don't have to release anything else. "Al will be taking a leave of absence due to health-related issues and will not be appearing on broadcasts during this season. MSG will continue to support Al however possible and we all wish him the best." Just such a shame that these guys that have been major voices of the organization for decades are made to basically disappear.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It was a brutal call :sarcasm:

MSG is weird when it comes to departures. A good handful of Ranger legends that don't get acknowledged until decades later. Amirante kicked to the curb without so much as a goodbye (until everyone made it known they were a little miffed over that). Unsurprising that Al has faded into the sunset without a peep from MSG.

The simple/public explanation for his departure could just be called health-related issues, even if it was some "ugly" break-up under whatever circumstances. They don't have to release anything else. "Al will be taking a leave of absence due to health-related issues and will not be appearing on broadcasts during this season. MSG will continue to support Al however possible and we all wish him the best." Just such a shame that these guys that have been major voices of the organization for decades are made to basically disappear.

Brad Park has still not been acknowledged and he is one of the two best defensemen in their history, with Fox looking like he'll join them.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
This is when it happened.
“MSG’s decision, to my knowledge, was not based on my health as I am healthy and was cleared to return to air by doctors MSG requested I consult,” Trautwig said.
Definitely a messy ending.

Reactions: will1066

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Brad Park has still not been acknowledged and he is one of the two best defensemen in their history, with Fox looking like he'll join them.

true, one of the few bones I have to pick with our beloved club, for which I have not forgotten the Rangers or Cat Francis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad